MBP ... Glossy or Matte?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 81Tiger04, May 5, 2010.

1. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

Well, it looks like I'm going to go all out and get the 15". My question now, though, is what display to get? Coming from an iMac, this is my first MBP. Is it worth the extra $90 for the Hi-Res glossy? What about the $135 for the Hi-Res matte?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Considering you don't list what for or where you'd potentially be using your machine, it's impossible to say. Plus, glossy vs. matte is a personal preference. Go to a store or a Best Buy and see if the glossy screen gives you a headache.

3. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is what I will be using it for:
    - Internet
    - Email
    - Downloading music, converting from FLAC to wav, and then from .wav to .mp3
    - iTunes
    - Storing photos in iPhoto
    - Occasionally running other programs

I generally won't be doing anything too heavy and most of it will be inside. I don't play any games nor do I do any editing with programs such as PhotoShop. I know what I have outlined up to this point says that I should get a 13". But, I'll be buying this one for the next 5 years so I might as well go all out.

4. TSparger macrumors member

There are a hundred threads on this same topic if you do a search you will see hundreds of opinions on this.

5. MMM.PWR macrumors 6502

MMM.PWR

In your case, it's really about the look (black bezel / or silver) and whether reflections would bother you (enough to pay extra $).

I'd definitely get the hi-res, but opt for glossy.

6. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I've got an iMac, the screen is matte correct?

7. brendu macrumors 68020

if its a newer imac (since 2007) the screen is glass.... I say go matte and dont bother with the high res. as you wont be gaming or doing photo / video editing you dont need it... the reason I say matte is because after a few years with glass screens I hate them, they cause a strain on the eyes after awhile and the reflection is awful... I will never buy a glass screen macbook again.

8. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. longball11 macrumors 6502a

longball11

Does anyone know what screen the November 2007 2.2 ghz Black Macbook has? I can't really tell whether it's Matte or glossy. I can see reflections various times. Just not sure.

10. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

Since I don't live near an Apple store and the local Best Buy only had glossy, I've looked at some side-by-side comparisons of the matte vs. glossy via the Internet. From that, I've got a couple questions ...

1) Is there a review or comparison of the 2010 models? The reviews/articles I found were from 2009.

2) In these reviews, I noticed that the matte version had a silver boarder whereas the glossy border was black. Is the same true for the 2010 models?

3) I read more than a couple articles that mentioned the colors being "dim" or the brightness seemingly "turned down" in the matte versions. Is this true for the 2010 models?

11. brendu macrumors 68020

Its glossy but not glass... its not matte.

1) http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/14/macbook-pro-core-i7-review/

2) Yes the matte still has a silver bezel

3) Not sure but I would assume as much... I played with them in an apple store and had a hard time really telling the difference in colors, but the lighting in apples stores does affect the glass screens a lot.

Im still saying matte screen is the way to go after years with glass...

12. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

I just got a mbp 15" i7 matte. It is really an incredible machine. Unless you edit photos (which you don't) I would suggest the matte.

13. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't plan on using it to edit photos. Just curious, though, as to why you recommend the glossy if I were to edit?

14. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

Glossy displays show truer and richer colors than matte displays. The reason few people care is that the difference is small enough that only photo editors mind the loss of richness.

15. motulist Suspended

motulist

Stop spouting off BS. Almost everything you just wrote is untrue.

To the OP - some people like glossy, some people like matte, some people have no preference. There is just about literally nothing we can tell you about which screen is right for you, the only way to decide is to see them both in real life with your own eyes. This topic has been discussed to death. There's nothing to say about it other than it's personal preference and you have to see them both and decide which one you personally like better.

16. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

Thank you for that. Such a nice environment here.

17. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is the glossy screen prone to scratches? Do people have any trouble with this?

18. Maserati7200 macrumors 6502a

Maserati7200

11230, Midwood, Brooklyn, NY, USA, North America
    The glossy screens that aren't glass (i.e. MacBook, MBA), are very scratch prone. I've had a Plastic MB for 2 years. I now have a 13" MBP with the glass, and it is very resistant to scratches and other things. It cleans a lot easier than the non glass.

19. Paul7 macrumors newbie

That would be a Matte screen then.

20. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

But what you said is false. Matte screens are preferred by editing people because it more color accurate after calibration. The colors on a glossy screen pop more and all that good stuff, but the trade off is inaccurate color representation (for when you print photos or display movies, etc). I prefer matte, but I have used a glossy screen and the glare didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

21. MacSignal macrumors regular

Likewise, I prefer matte, but have used some glossy displays that did not bother me as much as I expected. Personally, I am not in love with high(er) resolution display on smaller screens either. If there is any way you can see that for yourself, I would highly recommended that you make sure you like the higher resolution display better.

22. bluskale macrumors regular

I was considering getting a glossy, because I didn't think it would bother me. Anyway, I tried writing some papers on my gf's glossy mbp to see... it was waaay too reflective & distracting. I clearly do not work in environments where glossy would be a good choice, and will gladly pay extra for the matte.

23. 81Tiger04 thread starter macrumors 6502

It sounds like this is going to be personal preference. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to take a trip to the Apple Store to compare the 2 since our local BB doesn't have the matte.

24. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Well you know, this guy is spending over 1000 dollars on a laptop...

25. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I just got a 15in, hi res matte and its beautiful screen. I am coming from a 13 in. mbp and the glare is annoying! So... went with this option and I'm really happy with the choice.