MBP Glossy vs Mate screen what do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Deadeye*, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Deadeye* macrumors newbie

Deadeye*

Hello im new here so sory if this post has ben posted, just whan to ask what do you like mot Glossy screen or Mate? and why?

2. paola105 macrumors 6502

paola105

I personally like glossy better. The colors seem richer and brighter. And the glare doesn't really bother me.

3. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

pls use the search feature. Type in "matte glossy".

4. torpy macrumors regular

Ah yes, the age-old question. It's all up to personal preference, go to a store and demo the laptops if you can. I prefer matte myself, glossy on any laptop bothers the hell outta me..

5. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Glossy. Glare is not an issue. Total extra brightness and color is a great issue.

6. floatingspirit macrumors 6502

I hated the idea of glossy, but when faced with no choice when I had to get a new Macbook or a dell, I got glossy. I love it. Reflections and glare are negligibly bothersome. In day light or crowded meetings, hit the control, option, apple key and the number 8 key to make the screen look like a photo negative. Helps overcome glare while outside and limits distracting others with a bright screen while in meetings.

Why do people care so much about posting questions again and again. You don't have to read them. Or post to them for that matter...Sometimes we can't find what we want. What's the difference...

7. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Personal Preference, i have had glossy screens for awhile and the colors seem brighter and extremely vibrant. But when the sun is out, there are some people that say it can cause horrible glares. But too each his OWN.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Glossy? Of course not. Do yourself a favor and purchase the matted screen. ;)

9. roker macrumors regular

roker

I bought a matte because I can't stand glare. To my frustration I still get glare on my matte, so I would suggest, if possible, look at the two side by side & see what you personally think based on your requirements, from what I've read on here, it's a very personal preference. :)

10. devman macrumors 65816

devman

My experience almost exactly. I had to use a Macbook for nearly a year and when it finally came time to get my MBP I chose glossy. I'm a convert.

11. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I got a matte screen with my MBP and I love it. Glossy wasn't going to work for me. I take my computer to school and light sources are crazy and I have glasses so I didn't want more glare. Anyway, I recommend matte, but glossy is pretty too!

12. Deadeye* thread starter macrumors newbie

Deadeye*

but i heard that pro users like artist don't like the glossy screan why? becose the colors are not natural? is this a big deal becose im gona use photoshop and so on

13. roker macrumors regular

roker

I think it is mostly due to the glossy making colours brighter & more vibrant than they actually are, so for professional users this is a problem. It would depend on what you are using Ps for, but I would think unless it was for printing type stuff etc it wouldn't be too much of a problem. (Someone else could prob give a more precise answer but I think you get the gist) :)

14. ctsport macrumors newbie

15. Ariez macrumors regular

I own both a macbook and MBP (macbook has gloss, MBp does not). What I prefer? I couldnt care less actually.

But I will say Glossy is much easier to clean and looks tons better than matte when the screen is off.

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The general rule is matte for creating stuff, while glossy is for viewing stuff.

But of course its not accurate in 100% of cases :) Like most rules are...

17. gtimark macrumors member

What people tend to forget is that the repost can possibly provide a fresh approach to the previously asked question. Kind of like stirring the pot .... but, oh well ...

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Matte for me. With glossy, the viewing angle of the LCD was ruined on the MacBook, and it makes watching dark scenes in movies pretty bad. So when I sold my MB and got this MBP, I choose matte. The viewing angle is much better, and movies actually look much better as well.

19. lxpk macrumors newbie

Matte is better.

Matte is better because matte shows you what you are looking at, while glossy is like viewing it at +10% saturation with a 10% opacity layered mirror of your face and everything that goes on in the room superimposed over it.

I researched this question extensively before I bought my MacBook Pro. I eventually sat down with two identical current-model brand-new MBP 15"s, one glossy and one matte, and worked with them doing my normal activities for a few hours switching back and fourth.

I initially thought that glossy looked cool but the new MBP 15" LED-backlit matte screen is brilliant without the need for gloss and the reflections were always there, interfering with the image on my screen.

Reflections moving = distractions to your eyes = slowing you down, interfering with your visual judgement and getting you killed in first-person shooters.

Matte is the only choice for someone who wants to see their image clearly and not the reflections of everything behind you.

20. MicBook macrumors regular

MATTE!!!!! especially if you edit photographs on your laptop

21. MiGiGee macrumors newbie

Glossy

I have never used the matte screen but I was concerned with my first computer that the glare on my glossy would be a problem. So far I havn't noticed any real glare to speak of. Go with glossy.

GiGee

22. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Ridiculous. The screen coating does not affect the panel's viewing angle.

Its just the crappy screen on MacBook, not because it has glossy coating. I assure you, even if it was matte, the viewing angle would still be at the same low level.

MacBook Pro's screen is just better and has greater viewing angle.

23. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Don't call me ridiculous. I know what I saw.

I used to own an iBook G3, the screen has a better viewing angle than the MacBook's. You telling me that a 2006 MacBook's screen is worse than the iBook, circa 2003?

24. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Good morning :rolleyes: Hope you've realized by now that MacBook's screen has worst viewing angles. Even worse than your iBook has.

What you are experienced (MacBook -> MBP) is the difference in screen quality and it is not caused by glossiness of MB's screen.

If you want proof, go and see a MBP with glossy screen and compare it to your matte.