MBP has died - 9 days after AppleCare expired!!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parish, Jan 17, 2012.

1. parish macrumors 65816

parish

My late '07/early '08 MBP has died. The startup chime just keeps repeating ad infinitum. Searching the 'net reveals that this is a hardware issue, most likely the logic board.

I bought AppleCare extended warranty for £273 and have never had cause to use it until now - but when I checked, it expired on the 8th Jan, just 9 days ago.:(:(:(

I can't believe how unlucky I am.

I'm sure I've read that Apple have been known to be a bit flexible about this and still repair kit after AC has expired. A colleauge had his iPod Touch replaced even though it was way out of warranty.

What do you reckon my chances are of them doing something for me? I'm in the UK.

BTW, if you're wondering how come the AC has only just run out on a 4+ year old MBP, the answer is I bought it from the Refurb Store

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You need to call them now. I wouldn't wait even another day if at all possible because I think you will find that Apple will be helpful in a situation like this. I'm hopeful for you but to know exactly how they'll be is just guesswork. I'll keep my fingers and legs crossed for you.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As Jessica stated, call them and explain, you never know they just honor the warranty. Delaying that call works against you, so the sooner you do it, the better the odds.

Good luck

4. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

5. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

6. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

8600M GPU issue?

If it is, don't let Apple weasel their way out of repairing it under the 8600M extended repair program.

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Fingers crossed for you, Apple have alway's been A1 with me....Good luck.

8. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

Might be. I got some video corruption then a black panel popped up saying I needed to restart.

Although from what I've found on the 'net it's more serious than that.

The guy I spoke to has said they may be able to make an exception as the AC has only just expired and I've never claimed on it. On hold to speak to a senior advisor. Fingers crossed!!

9. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

Good luck! I really hope they'll help you out.

10. uzit macrumors regular

Hey good luck man they should help you. My iMac had a logic board problem just a week back and it was 2 days out of warranty, the fixed it and its on its way back!

11. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

They'll make an exception. You never say you "may be able to make an exception" unless you are going to make an exception.

12. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

13. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

Result :D:D:D:D:D

Exception raised, "take it to a Retail Store and they'll do whatever repairs are necessary" :D

I love :apple:

Double result in fact; my wife just said that if they repair it I can have a new one so she can have this (her PC laptop is on it's last legs) :D

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

15. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

It's things like this that keep customers loyal. Glad they are going to fix it for you!

16. TechStooge macrumors member

17. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Are you saying a 2008 MacBook Pro is a crappy computer? It's not. It just has a faulty part. Just because it's needing repair, doesn't mean it's crappy. As for old, I have a 2001 dual 1.42 GHz G4 PowerMac. It's not crappy, it's quite zippy. It's NOT an old, crappy computer. (The MacBook, that is)

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's great news and that's why apple is always tops in the consumer satisfaction surveys :D

19. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

As a previous poster said, it's not crappy and old. Compared to her 1.6Ghz Celeron 1GB RAM eSystems laptop running XP Home it is a mega upgrade. Besides which it was her idea (goes nicely with my crappy old iPhone 3GS that she's got :p). Oh, and it's a Mac!

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's still a decent computer. Computers have gotten good enough that ones that are several years old are still good enough for an average user. And especially if Apple fixes it it's not likely to have more problems for a while so it's a good computer for her.

21. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

This is a great customer service story. Part of the "premium price" for Apple products is for things beyond just the hardware itself (and numbers listed on a spec sheet) ...

Congrats! :cool:

22. kingshoc macrumors newbie

23. TechStooge macrumors member

yeah but shes your WIFE

she deserves something brand spanking new and awesome :p

24. phaedarus macrumors regular

Fixed that for you :)

You might even luck out further and get a new revised model.

25. parish thread starter macrumors 65816

parish

She's got me. she can't have everything ;)