MBP has some tough competition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Akira1980, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Tough competition??? Hmm... looks pretty boxy/squarey to me. Needs an improved CL (coefficient of lift -- aerodynamics) and maybe some racing stripes painted on it somewhere. :D

3. 7even macrumors 6502a

That's pretty awesome... weird how no one complains about the lack of an optical drive though :p

4. yanquis macrumors regular

somebody posted earlier that it is dell's answer to the MBP but its not. its not even comparable & much inferior (imo). its actually dell's answer to the macbook AIR. and still probably inferior though i havent done a side-by-side. it definitely looks like crap, & the specs didnt seem like anything special. some nice gimmicky features, & that's about it, as far as i could tell. the thing i really liked about it was the instant on feature, it has a separate ARM processor for basic tasks like web browsing etc so there's no bootup & you save a lot of battery.

5. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Yeah. Doesn't seem like that much of a competition to the MBA given its weight: 4.5 lbs which is just slightly lighter than a typical ~5 lb laptop but noticeably much heftier than a ~3 lb ultraportable.

6. Akira1980 thread starter macrumors 6502

Akira1980

I think everyone is missing the point and just focusing on the looks. Some of the technology is really awesome.

Wireless charging
    Wireless connection to display and USB
    Touch sensitive screen bezel
    Always on connection, even when your laptop is closed

I wouldn't mind having some of those tech in my MBP.

7. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

That edgetouch thing along with the picture scanner looks nice. The camera scanner thing looks really cool too.

The design works well for business users who don't necessarily need anything flashy looking. I'm pretty impressed with the weight and thinness. It also has a lot of "Mac-like" features, like a multitouch trackpad. It also has the ability to instantly turn on to access email and stuff. Seems like they've worked on a lot of features very useful for business users.

Way to go Dell, seems very promising. I'm just partial to OSX :p

8. JazzLion macrumors member

Sounds nice. I would love the wireless charging and wireless display and usb connection. Would make some aspects of life much easier

9. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

People missing the point on macrumors!? Surely not :rolleyes:

You're right. Some of the technology on it is very cool. Am impressed, actually.

10. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

There's some very cool technology in there!

You have to admit, though, the case DOES look 10 years out of date, at least apart from the thinness. ;)
    It actually reminds me a lot of my 5300cs from the front, even though that laptop was probably 6x thicker.

Also, as long as we're talking about looks, does ANYONE actually think that burgundy red looks good? The color just makes me want to puke, and I see it on cars, peripherals... Who likes that color?

I love the stand, though. I wish my MStand was also a charger!

11. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

12. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Not bad, but I can't see any MBP owner saying they'd really want a Dell Latitude..

Wireless charging is horrible term for that system. It makes people think they can charge their equipment remotely, which isn't the case at all.

13. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Well, MBP shiny silver/aluminium is very 1990s IMO. Metallic burgundy red is nice (I have a car and a stratocaster in that colour). It's nice to see Dell inovate - note that the reviewer balks slightly at the 2000+ usd price tag though, considering the amount of engineering that needs to have gone into that machine.

14. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I actually quite like that, apart from the angled ports at the back, which seem a bit odd.

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Just had another look over the pics - it's actually pretty snazzy especially that border around the keyboard, wonder what material that is. Might be a bit plasticky irl however.

End of the day, it runs on Windows so booting up that machine will give me that bleh, I'm on a Dell with Windows feel which isn't something you want from a 2k + machine.

I'm not in the burgundy fan camp, but it is a respectable colour to have at a meeting. Personally I'd like bright orange with a pair of breasts covered in chili peppers on the case but it's not that approp. Silver, black and matured colours I guess are the limitations on machines for business people, so perhaps the colour isn't up for critique.

The whole thing, with the base and that extra keyboard reminds me a bit of an overpriced Sony gadget, loads of features you'll never use with high novelty value and will very quickly look dated. A terrible pang of 90s gadget death around that Latitude, not sure I'd drop the greens on it if I was hoping to look current for a few years in the board.

16. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't call that competition.

butt ugly and it runs windows.

One of the huge draws for macintoshs is that ability to run OSX. Yes you can build a hacintosh but OSX works well on a MBP that runs great and looks great. The dell does neither well.

18. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As someone mentioned before, the wireless charging that it uses isn't really wireless. Wireless connection to a display? Ok. I still like a physical connection. Touch sensitive bezel- is this trying to be a tablet or a laptop? Keyboard and mouse are a lot more energy efficient (that is, human energy) on larger screens than touch screens.

19. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

The touch sensitive bezel is just a gimmick. I can't see me stretching out my arm to swap windows when i can just ctrl+tab.

20. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Just had a look on Dell.com and the specs aren't great to be honest....certainly not 'tough competition for the MBP'

21. kngelv macrumors member

Some cool technology handcuffed by Windows and Dell's lousy support.

James

22. hashholly macrumors 6502

23. couto27 macrumors 6502

are you joking???

tought competicion ???
    where ?
    how?

even my emac is better than any windows machine.
    and the system in conection with the laptop close , is a easy way so that hackers could penetrate even easier in the windows zombies machines.:D

24. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Wow. It scans documents! Just hold 'em up to the webcam. :D

I give Dell good marks for making something different but at $2,000+ even Apple has nothing to worry about.