MBP hinge issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlphaDogg, Jan 27, 2011.

1. AlphaDogg, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

About 3 months ago, Apple replaced my entire display assembly on my 13" 2010 MBP because of dust under the display. Whenever I change the screen's position, it feels "unstable" and it will not stay locked in that specific location (it has a little bit of wiggle to it). Accompanied with that instability of the screen, there is a pop sound, as if the hinge will not hold the position. I have read the threads about this, so please do not post links referring me to those threads [cough]GGJstudios[/cough]. But, my situation is different than the issue described in those threads. In those threads, the users report an actual popping sound. Mine is more like a sound of the hinge moving back and forth.

Here is a video showing my unique issue (click on it to view it):
    [​IMG]

2. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

The video is a bit long, but the point is clear......The laptop needs to go back and repaired again. I really don't think they will give you a hard time on this either. My laptop makes no noise with repositioning.

3. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Ughh this would be the third repair. First was replacing the battery, HDD, HDD cable, magsafe board, topcase, and internal speakers. Second was replacing the display assembly. This would be the third... Ughh maybe I will just wait until they get updated, and then they can replace the entire MBP for me... *fingers crossed*

4. wordoflife, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Did I ever tell you why I made Apple replace my computer?

They screwed up my hinge when replacing the display assembly, exactly as you are describing.
    It feels like there is no resistance when you move the screen very small distance (or just trying pushing it back a little), or a gap (so to speak). but you can actually feel the resistance when you start moving it a larger distance (over a few CM). In other words, screwed up.

You'd have to wait for a while for the new ones to actually come out. And then you'd have to wait for them to be out of stock of the MBPs. It would just be a long, long time. You might as well get it done now.

5. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I am going to LA on Sunday morning, so I think that when I get back to Colorado, I will take it to the Apple store. :mad:

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Cool, have fun. TAKE SOME PICS.:)

7. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Thanks! This hinge is just so damn irritating, but not nearly as irritating as the hinge on the 2007 MacBook I am taking with me to LA.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Whats wrong with that one? and seriously, share some photos when you get back ;)

9. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It's old and is missing a screw on the hinge "connection" to the base of the MacBook. Whatever, I can use it for 4 days... And, I will post pics in the picture gallery forum, this is simply not the appropriate forum to post such things.

10. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Apple replaced the display assembly on my MBP. On the genius bar work order, they told me that they would "tighten the hinges." I said "ok, fine," knowing that they can't do that, because the hinges are part of the display assy. I come back 2 days later, to find that they replaced my display assembly, taking me from my (stock) 9CCB panel (which was by far the best) to the 9CC7 panel to a 9CC3 panel. The 9CC3 panel is very comparable to the 9CCB panel that I originally had. The 9CC7 was the worst, the blacks were like a navy blue. Also, when I picked up my MBP from repair, I had my iPhone replaced. The genius bar gave me a SIM eject tool and a black stick.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ok good for you. Glad you got your mac fixed and a paper clip, I mean sim ejector tool. This is a good day all around. How is the hinge now?

12. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Tighter than ever!