MBP Hinge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zMudvayne, May 4, 2010.

1. zMudvayne macrumors member

I received a new 15" MBP Core i7 about a week and a half ago and it was in perfect condition. Today, I noticed when I open / close the screen there is a point that the hinge makes a "pop" sound... In addition, the hinge is weaker than it once was. The first day that I got it I held it at a 90 degree angle and the screen held itself perfectly, now it falls like down has been shown in previous models.

Has anyone else experienced this with the 2010 models and is going to the Apple Store to have them check out the "pop" the best solution?

2. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

The best solution is to get it checked out by Apple. In the future apple will claim it as normal wear and tear use and will not warranty it even w/ Apple Care (or so I am told, I've never had hinge go on me.)

3. Pax macrumors 6502a

I think the "pop" sound is quite common. There have been some threads on here. Some debate about whether it is a "problem" or not. Some think it is the screen cables moving inside the hinge, which might cause long term wear. Others (including me) just think it's the black plastic sleeve under the MBP logo flexing.

But the floppy hinge is not normal or common, as the previous poster said take it to Apple.

4. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Do you have a case on it?

That happend to me when I had an incase on and I brought it into the apple store and was told that the screen became unaligned. Got it replaced. Haven't put a case on since.

5. zMudvayne thread starter macrumors member

I've heard the same things about cases... it's because of that that I don't have a case on mine - only a Moshi Palm Guard and Moshi Keyboard Protector.

6. zMudvayne thread starter macrumors member

I went to the Apple Store today and had them look at the hinge on my MBP. Initial thoughts was that the hinge was loose or somehow misaligned... the Genius opened it up and it turned out that the POP sound was from a wire that was not in the groove made for it...The hinge is perfect now.

That being said, I would recommend to EVERYONE that experiences a "pop" sound to take it to the genius bar and have them look at the wires, because it's definitely possible yours could be misaligned as well and causing wear on the wires.

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Thanks for the update and good work on getting it fixed. I'll tuck this one away for the day my hinge starts making a noise :)