MBP Integrated Battery Ramifications?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Huntn, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm thrilled to be the owner of a new MBP. Battery life is awesome.

However I've read a couple of articles about the battery (which did not answer my next question) and am wondering does battery replacement = motherboard replacement or is it unplug/plug, or is it a soldering job?

Regardless of the answer, this would not have stopped me from upgrading at this point. Thanks!

Gigaom Article:Macbook Pro Battery More Longer But Locked In

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's got a connector, but I believe it's just screwed down. It's not user-replaceable, but they can do that at an apple store without replacing anything else. It's also supposed to last 1000 cycles before it gets to 80% health, so I'd say you've got a while before you even need to worry about that.

3. leman macrumors 604

The battery should easily last whole 3 years, basically a whole lifetime of the computer. My MBP is now 16 month old, it is on 24/5, I have never given the power management any particular thought, plugging and unplugging the computer as it is convenient to me. After all this time and 515 load cycles, CononutBattery shows 98% of the design capacity. I consider it to be rather good.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks guys. It's reassuring that the battery can be replaced short of replacing the motherboard.

5. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Apple claims the battery should last 5 years.

6. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

the battery is serviceable by apple its not soldered to anything. its just installed with a special set of screw bits to prevent average users removing it.

But the batteries in these new machines are beasts and shouldnt have any issue with them.

I think the built in battery idea is nice, it slims down the machine bulk, larger capacity batteries, and definitely have longer longevity as opposed to the removable types.

ps. in your sig you state AMD 6750M 1Ghz VRAM, you sure its not AMD 6750M 1GB VRAM :cool: