MBP Keyboard irritable wear and tear

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zworks0, Sep 27, 2010.

1. zworks0 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I purchased a unibody macbook pro in march of 2010 and use it regularly. Over the months, i have encountered what seems to be a common problem with my keys; they apear shiny and faded from wear and tear. I was not to upset about this as it was just a cosmetic problem. However recently, it has become more than that. When i type on my keyboard, the keys feel almost sticky. It is frustrating to type on it now because i feel like i am typing on glue. I have gotten an iSkin keyboard cover which does help, however i would like to go back to my regular mbp keyboard which i did enjoy using. The iSkin also slows down my typing. Is their any type of cleaning solution i can use to fix this? and has anyone else enountered this problem?

Searching the internet all i have found is cosmetic damage, not performance affecting damage.

thanks to anywone who can help me btw :)

2. pintsizemacman macrumors regular

pintsizemacman

best thing to do prob is to damp a cloth and scrub the keys indivguly but not to much water!!! U dont want to but a 1,000 logic board:D

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You could try rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab. First, carefully test it to see that it doesn't effect the key labeling. Use sparingly so it doesn't drip inside and trigger the moisture sensors.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Have you got some pictures?
    I want to see how worn out the keys got :)

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

To the OP: have you tried cleaning your MBP keyboard? I recommend getting a microfiber cloth and dampen it with some iKlear (or just some straight rubbing alcohol), turn your machine off, and rub at the keyboard to your heart's content. This is a weekly ritual for me. I am very OCD-ish when it comes to my keyboard's cleanliness.

6. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

ok first off alcohol doesn't conduct electricity, so you can basically soak your MBP in it while its on and not expect any problems.

when that's said and done you have to use an as high percentage as possible, as alcohol contains water.
    I found this bottle in in italy, that would work very well ;)

Attached Files:

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

That is not necessarily true. Alcohol contains impurities, which conduct electricity. Both water, and alcohol in their purest forms will not conduct any electricity, whatsoever. But, only distilled water and alcohol will not conuct electricity. I do NOT recommend pouring alcohol on any electronic device, whilst it is in operation, but it is your own choice if you want to risk it.

Edit: Also, your bottle of alcohol is missing an H... :D

8. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

true, but those are minutes.
    as a science project a few years back I sent myself a text message and received a call from a cellphone submerged in 96% alcohol. - had to wear gloves to do it though :p

but your absolutely right, its by no means recommendable, but it is doable.

in regards to your edit, its italian :)

9. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

First, I am not clear on what you mean by "minutes"... Second, I sure hope the cellphone wasn't an iPhone :p.... That would be a horrible way for an Apple product to die :eek:

Edit:
    I know that! I am just messing with you :)

10. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

according to dictionary.app
    " (also arc minute or minute of arc) a sixtieth of a degree of angular measurement (symbol: ′)."
    basically means a tiny amount.

it was some old Nokia, but it survived! :p

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Actually, what I think you mean ;) (also from Dictionary.app):

minute 2 |mīˈn(y)oōt; mə-|
    adjective ( -nutest )
    extremely small : a minute fraction of an inch. See note at small .
    • so small as to verge on insignificance : he will have no more than a minute chance of exercising significant influence.
    • (of an inquiry or investigation, or an account of one) taking the smallest points into consideration; precise and meticulous : a minute examination of the islands.
    DERIVATIVES
    minutely adverb
    minuteness noun
    ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense [lesser,] with reference to a tithe or tax): from Latin minutus ‘lessened,’ past participle of minuere.​

12. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

ahh yes, I should have bothered to scroll down :p

13. bwrairen macrumors 6502

What alcohol does do is trigger moisture indicators inside the laptop, and void your warranty. That is what the poster is warning about. He said nothing about electrical conduction.

14. BIS2 macrumors regular

I hate greasy keys too

Funny - I literally just came to the message board to post about this. I have a MBP that I've only had for a few weeks and have barely used. I'm over the top anal about it right now and have even been washing my hands before using it (I realize this is ridiculous). Anyway, imagine my horror when I caught a glimpse of the dreaded greasy keys ALREADY!! I know how gross they look after use and I want to keep mine reasonably clean so I certainly feel the OP's pain.

Several possible cleaning solutions have been mentioned - my question is, do they really work to get rid of the grease? Or do they just do a so-so job? I don't want a keyboard cover but for some reason this is my latest pet OCD issue so who knows....

15. RT2020 macrumors regular

I use windex and paper towels... clean as new...mine is almost 2 years old now.

You people are way too anal. Worry about bigger, more important things.

16. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

http://www.digitalinnovations.com/l...dr-lcd-plasma-screen-cleaner-4-oz-bottle.html

Spray lightly on cloth. Wipe lightly over keyboard. Flip cloth to dry side, repeat.

You'll feel like your keyboard was brand new. It won't get rid of the shine if your fingers have rubbed the coating off, though.

17. bwrairen macrumors 6502

I have had my 2010 MBP for about 2 months, and I do not notice even a little difference in the keys. I use this computer from 4-8 hours everyday. I do clean it once a week with just a damp cloth. No special cleaners or chemicals. I feel mine looks the same as it did the day I got it.

18. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Have you not seen the words:
    In other words, the poster here said that alcohol doesn't conduct electricity. Unless you were talking about the OP's post, and the only thing I have to say to that is: there were no references to the word "alcohol" in the original post.

19. bwrairen macrumors 6502

and then

So DewGuy was basically warning the OP not to get alcohol inside the computer, for fear that it would saturate a moisture sensor and void the warranty. Mulo quoted that post, and then said you would have no problems if you soaked it in alcohol. I was merely pointing out the one problem (at least), that could occur if you did indeed get alcohol inside the computer. VOIDING THE WARRANTY!

THAT IS ALL.:)

20. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

now I may be wrong but I believe moisture sensors are designed not to get triggered by anything else then water.