MBP Late 2011: Battery replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nishan, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Nishan macrumors newbie

Nishan

Hey guys, am planning to replace the battery on my MBP late 2011 notebook. Tried the apple certified dealer where i live, but they are saying its discontinued. So there's another store here that has listed a battery saying its a Genuine Apple Battery. Also it is a tad expensive than generic ones. Earlier i had a knockoff battery and it failed within a year, and had to removed.

So is there a way to identify genuine ones? Has anyone got pictures of the replacement batteries from Apple? Just so that it can be compared with knockoffs.

2. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

As far as I know, the batteries from the mid-2012 13" MBP will fit in the 2011 MBPs.

I recently changed the battery for my nephew and purchased a third-party battery from Amazon with good reviews. It's been fine for about 7 months so far.

3. Nishan thread starter macrumors newbie

Nishan

Hey, what was the brand of the battery you got on amazon? Also how many hours the battery stays on?

4. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

It was an egoway or aansor. I can't remember exactly.

When new, it lasted for about 3.5 hours? It was a long time ago and I did not have the machine for more than a day before I gave it back.

5. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

I picked up an actual Apple battery for my 2012 15" from a seller on eBay, it's been working well so far. After an initial hiccup of the computer shutting down during sleep, it seems it was tied to an app I was using. CoconutBattery reports the manufacture date as July 2015 and after about 6 weeks in the computer it's reporting 100% of design capacity still.

6. LarryJoe33, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018

LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

7. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

I bought an Egoway for my early 2008 MacBook. It was bulging right out of the box. Not good.

So I bought a no name brand off eBay and it seems ok for now. No idea if it will last though.