MBP Late 2011 second drive question 750(7200) or 1.0T (5400)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by famousshots, Jul 9, 2012.

1. famousshots macrumors newbie

I just purchased the 2.5 i7 MBP Late 2011 model from apples refurbished section at their store. It came with a 128 SSD drive installed. To put another drive in the optical bay I have read that the late 2011 must have a 3g not 6g transfer rate drive in it. Looking at OWC's site I have found these two drives with the data doubler that are 3g transfer rates and I was wondering which drive you guys would recommend

1) 750GB 7200RPM TravelStar 7K750
    or
    2) 1.0TB WD 5400RPM Scorpio Hard Drive

Obviously I will use the 128 for the OS and programs and the other for storage, which do you think is best or if there is any other suggestions I would love to hear them!
    Thanks

2. jcpb macrumors 6502a

1TB. It might spin slower, but the data-dense platters make up for it, and actual performance can be about the same as the spin-faster 750GB.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Faster is better, so the 7200 would be the best for you IMO. If you just want extra storage and are not concerned about data transfer rates, you can save money on the WD. I'm a need for speed guy, and use a Pegasus R4 for real time work, but that's kind of any expensive option. Platter density is another factor in selecting HDD's, but faster spin speeds = better data transfer rates.

FWIW Promise (the Pegasus folks) have stopped using Segates and have switched over to Hitachi high density 7200 1TB drives in the R4. I had bad sectors on one drive, and instead of just sending me another Segate, they swapped the whole unit out in 24 hours. So I'd steer clear of Segate drives for the time being. At least the physical, mechanical type anyway.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, since the "other" drive is for just storage and not programs, I'd say go with the 1TB HDD. You'll want higher capacity and since no programs are going to be saved there, then speed won't be much of an issue. However, if you want an extra 3-4 MB/s random access times, go with the 750GB drive.

5. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Go for 1TB.
    I have the same setup and I rarely use my 1TB storage.
    All the apps are stored on my SSD so they start up real fast.

1TB is again just for storage, and I rarely access them so I dont need a high rotation time.

6. famousshots thread starter macrumors newbie

iTunes and iPhoto

Thank you for the responses!
    I have another question though, am I correct in understanding that I can put my iTunes and iPhoto libraries on the extra drive and it will be accessed by the 128 SSD? So all I have to do is put the applications on the SSD and the files on the extra drive?
    Thanks

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Im not sure about iPhoto but for music yes.
    Thats what I do.