MBP liquid damage - repair/sale options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tsg20, May 20, 2009.

1. tsg20 macrumors member

I have a first generation MBP (bought a couple of weeks after they first went on sale in 2006). A few weeks ago I spilled a drink on it. I did the usual things - turned off at once etc etc. I took it to the Apple store, and it seems that the damage is pretty serious. When they opened it up, they couldn't see any trouble below the top case, but when they tried to boot it, the screen came on as usual, together with the clock-like animation, but after about 30 seconds it just rebooted. The same thing happened when trying to boot from a FW drive. They suggested that there were probably logic board problems that they couldn't see, and that repair would be $1000 or $1300 depending on how serious it is.

I just opened it up myself, and it's as they say - no obvious damage below the top case. It still won't boot, though! The screen is definitely fine, and I imagine much of the rest of it is, too.

Obviously the machine is old enough that it's not worth even $1000 to repair. What are my options? I'm imagining that either I could try to repair it myself (which seems a bit tricky, as I don't know what the problem is), sell it as it is, or dismantle it and sell it for parts. Any suggestions? How much might I be able to get for it in its current state?!

I took photos when disassembled and can post them if anyone thinks it will help.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, if you have a ~$1100 repair budget, go ahead and repair it, otherwise, it's best to sell it at whatever price you can and use that ~$1100 and put it into a new Mac.

I'd repair my Mac if the cost of repair does not exceed its current value. (However, this doesn't seem the case considering its a 2006 model) Otherwise, sell what I can and get a new one. But that's me.

I'd also, keep your HDD as you will most definitely need it later on.

3. tsg20 thread starter macrumors member

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Does anyone know whether it's best to just try eBaying it as, or whether this is one of those things where some of the parts (the screen?) might be worth more on their own?

4. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

Ebay

Ebay does have great resale value for the macs. A resale store may not take it due to the damage. But list it with a reserve and then if it does not go high enough you can keep it and try to find a resale store to take it.

Good Luck

To bad for your lose.

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

I am presuming you spilled the liquid on the top of the computer, near the keyboard?

If there is no visible evidence of liquid on the logic board, I would start by replacing the top case first, which includes the keyboard, trackpad and power button. This can be had for less than $100 on ebay. And obviously if you can take the top case off, then you can replace it as well. If it doesn't work, then you could probably get most of your money back, maybe even more.

If you elect to try this repair, make sure you get the correct part -- for a rev. A core duo MBP.

6. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Try disconnecting the keyboard and then powering it up. My friend's keyboard broke internally a while ago which somehow caused the mac to keep rebooting.

7. tsg20 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions. Disconnecting the keyboard didn't help, so I guess a replacement top case may be next.