Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MhaelK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
Yes, the new MBP are amazing powerhouses. While the choice of HDMI 2.0 instead of 2.1 have caused some discussion, it feels there is an even bigger “missed” opportunity by Apple to provide massive value to a large part of their customers at low to no added cost.

At least I can‘t find any information of this being included, so Please correct me if I am wrong.

As the M1 Pro/Max now has Prores acceleration build-in on the chips, a multidirectional HDMI port could allow the MBP to be used an External HDMI Video Capture encoding in Prores. A feature already used by many content creators to get the extra goodness out of their expensive cameras. And while an small external recorder like the Atomis Ninja 5 provide better portability and flexibility for outdoor use. In a studio setting the MBP would be perfect and not having to buy another USD 700ish device would definitely ease the purchase decision of buying or upgrading to the new MBP for a small creator.

Do you think Apple will ever add this opportunity to the MBP?

Also as the A15 in the iPhone13 now also have enhanced prores capabilitie, I can only dream of future generation of the iPhone/iPad Pro’s having the ability to capture external video in Prores through the use of the TB port. Although this is clearly a dream, adding capture abilities on the MBP seems like a natural/small step.

MhaelK

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2015
Doubtful. Too niche.
You might be right, and it certainly looks like you are by the current state of things?

But I honestly wouldn’t call it too niche. I think recording directly to the computer in Prores instead of having to import and encode it afterworth is something most people working with live media might find useful. Even if they don’t care about 12bit 4:2:2 output, current and future gen of YouTubers, and live recorders alike. But it is definitely a Pro feature, but so is the Prores acceleration of the M1 And iPhone13pro.

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
You might be right, and it certainly looks like you are by the current state of things?

But I honestly wouldn’t call it too niche. I think recording directly to the computer in Prores instead of having to import and encode it afterworth is something most people working with live media might find useful. Even if they don’t care about 12bit 4:2:2 output, current and future gen of YouTubers, and live recorders alike. But it is definitely a Pro feature, but so is the Prores acceleration of the M1 And iPhone13pro.
It's too niche for Apple. Most buyers aren't working with live media in a studio.

arche3

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2020
YouTube content creators are by large a kid in his moms basement.

The successful ones have production studios with permanent setups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.