MBP needed in October, when refresh?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ulf1103, Jun 21, 2011.

  1. Ulf1103 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #1
    When will the MBP be refreced? (The new disign on).
    I'm gonna need the MBP for college early October. If you look at average refreshes, it will make it. But if you look at th last 2-3 refreshes It only will be here around end 2011/start 2012.
    Does anyone knows when there're coming new CPU's out (not only from intel, but also from ARM?).
    Or does anyone knows when the new MBP will cope out.

    Any advise?
    If it comes out in october, I can weir for it, but start 2012 is too far away. :(
     
  2. Angra-mainju macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    you can still buy the old one when u start ur college and every 3 weeks take it back to the Apple store and wait for the new :p
     
  3. iDisk macrumors 6502a

    iDisk

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2010
    Location:
    Menlo Park, CA
    #3
    The MBP's are going through a transition in my opinion, I think the best strategy for the pro's happened when in 2008 they received the Nvidia 9600 & 9400 but due to Intel being a baby we know what quickly happened to that... I think the next refresh in 2012 will be finally getting the Macbook Pro's on the right map strategy.


    Lol that would be a sight
     
  4. Ulf1103 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #4
    What do you mean?
    If I buy a custom made MBP 17" best i7 8GB RAM and 128 SSD (with Apple care) now, and I told the people at the Apple store that there's somthing wrong with it (what should I say), like every 3 weeks, when the new MBP comes out, and I say that there's still somthing wrong with it, they'll let me buy a new costum made on or a stock one?


    What exactly do you mean by this?
     
  5. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2010
    #5
    LOL! he is being sarcastic. You dont wanna do that.

    I doubt MBP will be refreshed again this year so your best bet is to get something when you need it. No one knows about new designs or when they will come out.
     
  6. Ulf1103 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #6
    Does someone then knows when there will come out new i7 our any CPU from intel? Or a CPU from ARM?
     
  7. jdsmoooth macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2007
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #7
    I could be lost i this, but didn't Apple recently refresh the MBP with the latest Intel i7 notebook chips? I have the lowest 15"and I think it flies. I'm not sure, why you would wait if you need one now?
     
  8. KylePowers macrumors 68000

    KylePowers

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    #8
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

    lol the current MBP just came out 4 months ago.

    Just buy now if you can't wait 'til January/February of next year. It'll probably be longer since I don't think Ivy Bridge ships til 2nd quarter-ish 2012, which is the CPU architecture you'd be waiting for of course.

    The current ones are beastly from what I've heard.
     
  9. Ulf1103 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #9
    Well, Appel updated their MBP 118 days ago.
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro
    I'll be needing my MBP in 97 days, that means that if Apple was truly perfect (keeping their average) I can order it the day I need it. :)
    I would love Apple if they were perfect.

    But, after the 97 days, I can't wait to long for the update. Max. a month, then I really need to have it. I don't like to pay the price for the current MBP if when I paid it, a month later, the next one is their and myn will be old.

    I don't mind paying the price when it's just new :)


    This post might been a little bit to early.
    If you found any news, you may post it.

    But I'll probably gonna ask this again in two months. 'cause in two months a lot can have changed.
     
  10. Ulf1103 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #10
    Well, the reason is the above one and 'cause I want a MBP which looks different and with more battery life…
     
  11. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #11
    There is no hard indication that Apple will drop the DVD drive in the next version of the MBP. Even if they did, they might well use the space for more battery capacity. Don't expect much change till 2012. There might be a spec bump before then, but it would be a minor upgrade.
     
  12. malman89 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    May 29, 2011
    Location:
    Michigan
    #12
    Figure at most a slight unannounced spec bump in the late fall, post Back to School offer, but in time for any holiday shoppers without one. Full refresh in mid February, maybe, if not later.
     
  13. Ulf1103 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #13
    Like an optional even faster i7 and a slightly lower price?

    In September - Oktober or later?
     
  14. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #14
    Very unlikely they will change the price. CPU options mostly depend on what's available from Intel.
     
  15. Ulf1103 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #15
    Do you know when there will be any new Intel CPU our ARM CPU's?
     
  16. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

    Battlefield Fan

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2008
    #16
    besides the 2.4Ghz i7 which is an extreme processor and carries a high price tag, the 2.3 ghz i7 that apple offers is the fastest mobile processor. Ivy brige which will replace sandy bridge isn't coming out till the first month or two of 2012. I don't what apple could do to update their notebook line.

    Look at the buyers guide and you'll see that they've moved to more of a yearly update for the MBP. No more twice a year. The current line is great so just buy it!
     
  17. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

    Battlefield Fan

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2008
    #17
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intels_ivy_bridge_cpu_launch_slips_march_2012 Just to back myself up
     
  18. Ulf1103 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #18
    I know, it's for now, but couldt Intel release an even faster sandy bridge CPU and that then apple will adopt it in there MBP's as an option, before the next real update?

    I know, but I really want a MBP witch a new look…
    That's why I don't know what to do.

    I defenetly will think about buying it in a week ore wait for te next update…
    But if there aren't any rumors befor Oktober, I will need to buy the current one for the same price I could buy it 3 months earlier.
     
  19. ojaysimsanson macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2010
    #19
    Macs have great re-sell value buy a new one now, resell it for 75% of what you paid and cough up extra cash to buy the new one you'll want.
    I do this just about every "good" upgrade.
     
  20. Ulf1103 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #20
  21. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

    Battlefield Fan

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2008
    #21
    Why would apple use a completely new design for a refreshed Sandy Bridge that is probably less than 3% faster? Probably not even that. You need to realize that anything typically under 10% is not a noticeable to the user. Don't be brainwashed into thinking that the GHz of a processor matters. What you really would notice is a new architecture. Like going from Sandy bridge to Ivy.

    You're over thinking this. There will always be an update around the corner.

    Also don't spend tons of money on the processor. Look into getting a SSD. I just ordered a OWC Mecury Extreme Pro 6G. That will really improve your machine.
     
  22. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2008
  23. Ulf1103 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2011
    #23
    I'll be buying THE 17" high end with 128GB SSD :)
    and I'll buy an external HDD. :)
     
  24. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    #24
    Maybe you should do it the other way around, get it with the HDD and purchase an SSD separately. You'll maybe get a faster one possibly cheaper or the same money you'll pay apple for the upgrade + buying the extra HDD.

    Then you can just swap them over. If you wanted to get really fancy you could swap out the dvd drive for the original hard disk and get an SSD + HDD system.
     
  25. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #25
    I can't see them switching to ARM without a major change.
    new Intel CPUs depend on Intel, whether or not Apple would use it is unknown.
     

Share This Page