MBP - no clamshell mode after update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbritten25, Feb 12, 2008.

1. mbritten25 macrumors newbie

I updated to 10.5.2 and now I can no longer get my computer to work with my HDTV (connected via DVI).

I used to connect the MBP to the TV, put the computer to sleep, and then wake it in clamshell mode with either my mouse or remote. Now it just wakes the entire computer, then it goes back to sleep again after it realizes it's closed.

I've tried every combination of display settings and I cannot get it to work like it did before.

Anyone else having issues with clamshell mode in 10.5.2 or any ideas what I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I'm running in clamshell right now - in fact, I haven't run in any other mode, since the update this afternoon.

I just put it to sleep, and it woke OK (using BT mouse). Maybe tomorrow, I'll unmount the drives, put it to sleep, disconnect the ACD then wake. Then, reverse it - haven't had any problem going back and forth in 10.5.1, so we'll see.

3. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Make sure your MBP is plugged in, otherwise according to Apple it will not work.

4. mbritten25 thread starter macrumors newbie

The computer is plugged in.

I can get it to work in mirrored mode, but then my MBP screen goes blue and I can only see the image on the HDTV. I'm unable to see any of the programs that I open as they are all on the blue, unusable computer screen.

I've tried at least 20 times to get it into clamshell mode and nothing is working. The computer refuses to wake up without the display.

5. mbritten25 thread starter macrumors newbie

A small, but unhappy update.

I am able to get the HDTV recognized in full screen 1920x1080 resolution when it's set as a dual monitor but when I push F7 or turn on mirroring from the display menu, the HDTV won't receive the signal. The MBP screen just turns blue and I can't get an image on either screen until after a restart.

After it restarts in mirror mode, I get the picture on the HDTV but with black bars on the left and right sides. That is when using clamshell mode is useful, but that won't work.

Obviously these connections prove the computer is recognizing the TV. But nothing I do will allow the computer to wake up in clamshell mode. What could possibly be causing this problem? Is it a setting, something messed up in the 10.5.2 update, or something wrong with the hardware that only a trip to the Apple Store will resolve?

Anyone?

Edited to add: If I am in dual monitor or mirror mode and close my computer to sleep, then wake it trying for clamshell mode, it wakes up completely, MBP monitor and all, then goes back to sleep. Then if I open it and wake it again, I can get the picture back up on my HDTV but the MBP screen is just bright blue. The only way to get my computer screen back is a restart.

6. mbritten25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just wanted to update and say that a bunch of people are having this problem over at the Apple Support Discussions and cannot get their MBP to work with their displays correctly.

One person contacted Apple and it's currently at the 3rd level of support so it probably won't be fixed without an update.

Guess it's back down to 10.5.1 for me until they fix it.

Pain. In. The. Butt.

7. Raptor235 macrumors newbie

same issue here.. everything was working fine and I think after a hard reboot after all the packages got installed that's what did it... how can I go back to 10.5.1?