MBP not connecting to wireless network

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikepro44, Jun 11, 2008.

1. mikepro44 macrumors member

Just having trouble connect my MBP to my wireless network, it connects fine through ethernet and such, just not the wireless. At the indicator at the top it has full bars and everything.. The router is a D-link N, i heard problems with macbook's and N routers, hopefully that can be fixed?:confused:

2. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Are you sure that the AirPort is turned on in the MBP. Check that by clicking on the AirPort icon in the menu bar (the upside down triangle) and click "Turn AirPort On" if that option is available.

If that doesn't work, make sure you have your network password entered properly.

Sorry that I can't be of much help:)

Don

3. mperdun macrumors newbie

same problem

I had the same problem when I got my mbp. I also have a D-link with Verizon. For me it was a problem with the router. Once I had Verizon come out and look at it, after a few hours of the tech arguing with me that it was my laptop, he found the problem (no clue what exactly it was, but it was def. the router). He did something on his computer and now my mbp connects just fine!:D

Hopefully yours gets fixed faster than mine did. I would try connecting a different laptop wirelessly first (we couldn't get ANYTHING connected through wireless), and then call the company. Good luck!

4. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

Airport is on, my brothers HP laptop works fine with the router :confused:

5. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

like this is on the verge of getting ridiculous i have tried pretty much everything

6. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

What happens when you try to connect? Do you get an error message, or what?

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Things to check:

1. Under the Airport menu, do you see your router and is it checked?

2. On your router, are you using WEP, WPA Personal, WPA2 Personal security?

3. (based on item 2) Did you configure your network under System Preferences -> Network -> Airport?

4. (based on item 3) Did you set the security for you network in the Airport to match the router? Did you type in your password correctly?

5. Are you using DHCP or a static IP address for your Airport?

Check these out and report back.

8. mgclayton macrumors member

Router problems

First thing to try would be to reboot the router. It sounds stupid but I have had this before, where the wireless wouldn't accept new clients, but would still talk to previously connected ones. A reboot sorts that out.

If that doesn't work, get in to the wireless settings on the router. Are you using a MAC address filter and need to add your MAC address? This is an easy one to forget.
    If you are using just wireless N, try it in mixed mode. You may be able to connect in G. Wireless N is a draft specification, so there's not a 100% guarantee devices will play together. My MBP plays well

9. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Turn off everything. Turn on modem. Then turn on router after the modem is loaded. After the router is loaded turn on your MBP. Then try to connect. Next, turn on your HP and try to connect. Also, you might as well change your channel to 11 or download a widget from apple to check what other channels are in use in your area and avoid those.

10. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

----------------------------

1.Yes and Yes
    2. How do i check? Currently my network isnt password protected :confused:
    3. ...
    4. ...
    5. DHCP

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if it isn't protected, there is no security and #2/3/4 do not apply.

12. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Are you sure your router isn't using MAC address filtering to restrict the computer that can connect to your unprotected network?

Since you are using DHCP, are you getting an IP address (check in System Preferences/Network, then Advanced Settings, Airport, and TCP/IP tab).

If you have an address that starts with 169, then you are are not getting an IP address from the router. If you have something that starts with 192.168 or something like that, then you are at least getting an IP.

Do you have access to the router settings, to see if you have MAC address filtering turned on?

Could your Router be in "N" only mode, and maybe your MBP is old enough to not support "N" networking? Doesn't seem like that would be the case if you can see the network in the Airport drop down...

If you can give us the specific model of D-Link N, we might be able to help you with the settings...

13. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the help guys, im a real newbie with the wireless networking stuff.

.. its 169 like you suspected, the model is a D-Link DIR-625 RangeBooster N Router and MAC address filtering is turned off

14. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

WOuld it be possible to punch in the routers IP in and have it connect that way?

15. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

The 169 means you are not getting an IP from the router's DHCP server. You could use a manual/fixed IP in the same network as your router, but I suspect there is more than that going on here.

Most likely, something is stopping you from joining the network with the router - even though you can see the network in the Airport drop down.

If you want to try a fixed IP, you can try this:

Pick an address that is the same as your Router's IP, but change the number after the last ".". You don't want to pick a number that is the same as any other device on your network, so I would pick something that ends in an unusual number like "57" or "63".

So if your router IP is 192.168.1.1, then pick something like 192.168.1.57. You will also need to enter the router IP, and the DNS entries (use your Router IP for these).

Once you get your IP changed, see if you can "ping" the router from the terminal, or use the "Network utility" in your applications folder.

16. jcgnu macrumors regular

I've had a MBP since last March and I never had a problem with my wireless networking until I installed 10.5.3... That's when all the problems you described happened to me.

I downgraded to 10.5.2 and my connection came back to life!

It doesn't necesarily have to be the same problem, but anyway, I wanted to share my experience in case it helps.

17. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

ya doesn't seem to be working all i get is .. ping sendto: no route to host

18. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It sounds like you don't have a connection to the wireless network.

I know you mentioned this in your initial post, but I just want to double check - you said your network name is checked when you pull down the Airport Signal menu, and you have a good signal (multiple black curved "bars") on you menu - right?

19. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

20. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Not sure what is going on, but lets check a few more things...

In order to save us some "back and forth" time, Here is a bunch of things to check out...

1. In your Network System Preferences at the top, it should show you the status of your airport connection. It should say: "Status: Connected", and underneath that it should say something like "Airport is connected to (network name) and has the IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx".

What does yours say?

2. What is the IP address if your router, and do you have another computer that connect WIRELESSLY to the router? If so, what is the IP address of that computer?

3. Launch "Network Utility" from your Applications/utilities folder. Click on the "info" tab, and use the drop down to select your airport card. On my MBP, this is "Network Interface (en1)". This gives you some info on your line speed, and your internal wireless adapter.

What do you have for:
    IP address?
    Link Speed?
    Link Status?
    Model?

Assuming you don't have some major hardware/software issue, we should be able to get this working, but I think we are just missing something...

21. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

1. Airport is connected to Prokopetz Network and has the IP address 192.168.0.57

2. Router IP: 192.168.0.1, the wireless computer: 192.168.0.103

3. Hardware Address(es): 00:1e:52:74:bb:71
    IP Address(es): 192.168.0.57
    Link Speed: 130 Mbit/s
    Link Status: Active
    Vendor: Apple
    Model: Wireless Network Adapter
    (802.11 a/b/g/n)

22. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Everything looks good, so something else must be up here.

Lets take a closer look at your Network System Preferences...

You mentioned that your ethernet was working, how about deactivating it in your current location, so only the Airport is active. Highlight the Built-in ETHERNET, and click on the little gear at the bottom of the column, then select "Make Service Inactive".

Then click on Airport, and the Advanced button.

Click on the TCP/IP tab, and use these settings:
    Configure IPv4: Manually
    IPv4 Address: 192.168.0.57
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router: 192.168.0.1
    Configure IPV6: Off

Click on the DNS tab, and make sure you have 192.168.0.1 listed as a server.

Click on the Ethernet Tab, and make sure you have Configure: Manually, and MTU at Standard (1500).

Click OK, and Apply.

Give it a second, and then try to ping 192.168.0.1...and let us know what happens...

23. mikepro44 thread starter macrumors member

PING 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1): 56 data bytes

--- 192.168.0.1 ping statistics---
    10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

24. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Seems like your packets are getting routed properly now, but the router is not responding to them.

Very odd...

You have an 802.11N connection to the router. Maybe we should try making a 802.11G connection. You can do this by changing the router settings to 802.11B/G mode, or I think there is a way to get your MBP into G only mode, but I am not in front of my machine now, so I can't remember how to do that - it is not obvious.

If you know how to change your router into 802.11B/G mode, I would try that - at least as an experiment to find out if that helps. You can check your connection type by option-clicking the Airport indicator and looking at the link speed (130 = N, 54 = G), or using network utility again...

Maybe we have an incompatibility in the draft 802.11N networking?

25. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I think I found something now about an incompatibility with the DI-625 and the MBP N networking. I can't figure out how to link to a specific post, but here is what I found:

Here is the full link:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6573887

I would try those router settings and see if that helps. if all goes well with that, then you can change your config back to DHCP...

I think we might be on to something here!