Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikepro44

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
i tried changing the rts threshold, same old story

maybe the best case for me would to just buy a crappy G and see if I just get that to work for me for the time being:confused:

mikepro44

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
So i found an old G router we had lying around, tried that and it was the same results. I think there is something small that we're overlooking:confused:

makowb

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
Are you using a mouse?

There is a very small chance that this is it...but are you using a logitech notebook mouse? I'm not sure of the model number but it is known to cause issues with the MBP connecting to wireless. My friend has a MBP and every time she has issues w/her wireless, she just disconnects the mouse, resets her airport, and it works magically. I probably has something to do with the wireless frequency of the mouse. But I haven't really researched it since we found out that was the culprit. Worth a shot.

mikepro44

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
nope not it, i feel like its so close.. just some tiny area that im missing

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
How about you take your MBP somewhere that has Wifi, and reset your settings to DHCP, and verify that you can even connect to ANY wireless router?

Do you have an Apple Store near by?

How about a friends house, coffee shop or restaurant with free wifi?

Maybe you have a larger issue here...

I think we need to verify that the Wifi is working in your MBP, before we go any farther with your router - since we know it works with a PC.

Did you try setting the router down to G mode, just to rule that out?

mikepro44

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Yah ill try it on some other wifi source and haven't tried it in G mode yet..

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I would try G mode first, since that is easiest, and then try it somewhere else - just remember to change your network settings back to DHCP...

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
You did switch your settings back to DHCP right?

Now I would go to an Apple Store if you have one nearby.

If that isn't an option, do you have an external hard drive that you could install OS X on and then boot off the fresh install, just to see if it helps?

Hard to tell if you have a hardware issue or not...

mikepro44

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
yah back to DHCP, nope no apple store near by, no hard external hd..

pretty much screwed i'd say :D

mikepro44

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
So how do I go about sending it back to apple, you would think that you shouldn't have to go through this hassle buying a refurb but whatever i guess

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I would call them first and go through the motions with them and see what they say. Can't say as I have ever had to do that myself, but it is really sounding like you have a hardware issue.

As a last resort, have you thought about reloading OS X to see if that helps? That is what I was getting at when i suggested loading it on an external drive, and booting off of the clean install, just to eliminate the possibility of a software issue.

mikepro44

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Yah I think im gonna take it to an apple certified technician next week,

Uuuurrrgh its so frustrating, like it doesn't make sense at all
I have the network utility opened has the hardware and IP address
shows the link speen, link status. Transfer statistics say its sending and
receiving packets. Yet i open up safari and nothing, not even a notice saying I have no connection... wouldn't it be that it something was messed with the
airport hardware that nothing would show up at all ooor is it still possible..
I'd like to put a new copy of OS X on a new hard drive but I don't want to
buy one just for this situation... :mad::mad::apple:

If you have any other ideas or anythingggg haha

mikepro44

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Ended up erasing my main HD, reinstalling OS X and got the same result as from before :confused::mad::apple:

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
I agree, this is very strange. I think you have done everything possible now to rule out software issues. There isn't really anything else you can do if it doesn't work after a fresh install.

Taking it in to the repair place and telling them you did a fresh install and it still doesn't work, is all they need to know.

It sounds to me like some type of hardware issue...

Let us know how it works out...

aross99

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2006
East Lansing, MI
What about running the Apple Hardware test from the CD that came with your MBP? I haven't ever done that, but maybe it would show something about your Airport card?

When you did the full install, did you try it right after the install completed, and then again after the updates were loaded?

Only reason why I'm suggesting that is, that some people seem to have had some issues with certain 10.5.X updates. Maybe the original 10.5.0 install would work?

Just to be extra, extra safe, did you also try the new install at Starbucks?

I can't believe we can't figure this out - unless there is a hardware issue. It's just weird that your computer can see so much about the Airport card, and then still not work...

mikepro44

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
ya i tried it right after I installed, no updates or anything, this macbook pro is an absolute zoo.. haha like you'd think we'd be able to figure it out cause we gave it every option, im taking it in monday a certified apple tech, cause it pissing me right off really... and I haven't even heard much that goes wrong with the airport which is weeeeeird :confused::mad: im hammered btw :eek:

mikepro44

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Update: My macbook pro has a new Airport extreme card and its running great:D:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.