mbp not going to be redesigned?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by threezero, Nov 6, 2011.

1. threezero macrumors 6502

So i have a 5 year old mbp and have been holding out on upgrading because of the rumor of a mbp redesign in 2012. So now that a revise mbp line has come out does that mean that there won't be a redesign anytime soon? I know nobody knows for sure but I hate to have spent the money for the very last version of a design that is going to be outdated in 1 year. I would rather hold on to my already dated 5 year old model.

does apple have a redesign schedule for the mbp like mercedes where they do a complete facelift every 8 yr on each model and minor upgrade in between?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They do, but they don't tell anyone. Nobody outside Apple knows if/when the MBP will be redesigned.

3. threezero thread starter macrumors 6502

i mean iphone is getting kind of predictable, facelift every 2 year. perhaps there is/will be some kind of pattern for the mbp too?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Believe what you want to believe.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro

you can probably find all sorts of patterns there.

introduction: january 2006
    unibody redesign: october 2008
    next redesign: early 2011 - failed

non-unibody design: introduction + 5 updates
    unibody design: introduction + currently 5 updates

There is a quite regular pattern with two updates per year, one early (january-march) and one late (october). This was violated a few times however, i.e. 2007 where the early release was only in june, and more importantly 2009/2010, the late 2009 coming in june, the early 2010 late in april and the late 2010 was skipped.

Intel chipset vs MBP release:

sandy bridge: january 9 vs. february 24
    arrandale: january 7 vs. april 13
    penryn: january 6 vs. feb 26
    meron: july 26 vs. october 24

Finally the shortest time period between updates is about 3-4 month. Also, the redesign did not line up with a change in processor architecture.

It seems likely that we see something early next year, but it's completely unclear what it is going to be.

6. tbear1 macrumors regular

Wow. Nice update summary. The other part of it is that the rumors are rarely correct. The current rumor is a new case due to the new ivy bridge micro-architecture. We will see if that is correct next spring.

Glenn

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

It a rumoured redesign, and it might not necessarily do what you want when it does comes out.

If the current machine (which got a speed bump a couple of weeks ago) does all you need then buy it now. No point waiting for a mythical redesign that may or may not appear sometime between six and twelve months into the future. You might as well go looking for Unicorns!

8. LeiQQ macrumors regular

LeiQQ

I haven't owned a mac notebook since iBook times. I just ordered a base 13". I think the models look awesome as now and even if there is an update I'm still going to love my new notebook. It's going to do everything I want it to do for the next 3-5 years.

9. caats19, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

caats19 macrumors newbie

i'm in the exact same spot. If a mbp is bought now, what'll the trade in rate be? like half? i know i'd love any mac i got now, but if i could push this ol 06 macbook just a bit longer. well my ODD just died, so at least i can get a MBA test run lol. my battery life is already about 30 minutes and my charger doesn't always charge so maybe it's time. GAH WHY IS IT BREAKING NOW.

10. MagicBoy, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

If it helps, I ordered a 15" MBP last week. Currently in Kazakhstan of all places....

Macs hold their value well compared to PC laptops. I had to sell my original MBP after about 6 months and it went at a £300 loss (£1100 vs £1450 UK RRP) for a quick sale. I actually bought it in the US, so in reality only lost £50.

I buy them to keep for 3 years minimum so short term fluctuations in value don't really concern me greatly. I'd rather get 6 months usage and lose another £50 long term for it being a slightly older generation.

11. randomrazr macrumors 65816

they have apple stuff in kazastan/?

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

I guess it's passing through. UPS know what they're doing...

China -> Korea - > Kazakhstan -> Germany -> UK I think. Why they don't just stick it on a China to Germany or UK flight I dunno.

13. Skika macrumors 68030

[​IMG]

14. infernohellion macrumors 6502

Very strange. That is super inefficient. They usually just do direct given the China-Europe route should be extremely busy.

Back to the topic. I really wish Apple updates the design before April. I own the early 2009 17" and it's starting to change color. Lol. I was assuming that Apple was going to have a major revision back in April this year and no it didn't happen.

15. pixor macrumors member

I've just ordered a MacBook pro. If they change the design next year, mine will still work just as well!

Actually, the talk of making them thinner worries me. I need room for an ssd and a hd.

16. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

The original MacBook Pro is built on the design of the PowerBook so you can't really say it was a totally new design.

17. steveca macrumors 6502

i am not even sure they can redesign the laptop. i mean it is a laptop, cant be lot thinner than it is already. Display is almost without any border... all they might change is the material but the current crop is pretty good...

i am waiting as well. Have the late 2006 macbook pro model...

18. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

I agree that a total redesign is not necessary. I like my aluminum MacBook Pro, and wouldn't mind upgrading to the unibody. I just want them to drop the DVD drive, make for a bigger battery, a second HD maybe, a couple of more ports and 16GB of RAM.

19. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

If they drop the optical drive (which they probably will) and use the new Ivy Bridge technology (which runs cooler), then a thinner design (not necessarily as thin as the Macbook Air), is certainly possible, even more so if they use Macbook Air-style blade SSDs instead of HDDs (or 9.5mm HDD form factor SSD), though in the case of the latter, I hope not, as it will reduce upgrade potential. Another thing I hope they don't do with the new MBP is to get rid of user-upgradeable RAM or drop the Firewire port - both needed for a "Pro" machine IMHO.

I like the design of the current MBP personally, would be happy if they just made it a little bit thinner and used some of the space saved from removing the optical drive for a longer-lasting battery and perhaps space for a second SSD or HDD.

20. steveca macrumors 6502

I personally hope that they never remove the drive. For me a pro machine needs to have all the features you might need to use... I agree it is not something we use all the time and with app store less and less but there will be those moments that you would need the drive and not finding it there would be a bad experience over all.

And honestly I find all modern laptops to be thin enough... Do we need them to be thinner?

21. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

In my opinion, yes.

22. steveca macrumors 6502

At the expense of losing the drive?

23. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Same argument could have been made about the floppy drive. But nowadays you can get an external USB DVD drive that weighs nothing for cheap and when you think you'll need it when traveling around, bring it along.

24. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yes, I have a USB drive, that in the rare chance that I might actually need it...I will have it.

25. steveca macrumors 6502

I think it's a different story... Floppies stored 1.44MB when CDs managed over 600, and back in the day it was a change from one standard removable medium to another. I would never argue against setting in a blu ray drive in the new MBP but removing the SD leaves no proper way of getting stuff out or other stuff in.

I am a lecturer and sometimes students want to show me some work they have. Without a DVD drive I would need them to upload over the internet and that is not ideal, at least not always...

----------

I still prefer having everything together and a couple of mms thicker. It is like having a phone and a PDA, merging them made a lot of sense