MBP or MB??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tfward, May 13, 2008.

1. tfward macrumors member

So just to fill in everyone I recently decided to converted to the apple side after many years of using a pc. So after deciding this I made the plunge on a new MP 2.8 octo. So now comes the delima, I want to now replace my IBM x60 with a new mac laptop.

So I've narrowed it down to the white 2.4 Macbook for $1299 or a refurbished 2.5 MacBook Pro for $2149. My question is that I've read that the Macbook get really really hot if you set them on your lap and I was wondering if this is also an issue with the MBP? My needs tell me I just need a MB, but my wants tell me I need a MBP to match my MP. So if someone could answer my ?? and also give me some advise it would be tremendous, thanks.

2. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

What...

... do you plan to use the laptop for? Definitely need more information. That being said, I always would rather go with the MacBook Pro to cover any expanded future needs. THe MBP will get warm on you so be aware of that.:):apple:

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well MBP has:
    - Firewire 800
    - ExpressCard
    - Matt Screen
    - Graphics card
    - Larger screen
    - Better speakers
    - Full size DVI output
    - USB port on both sides

MB
    - Slightly smaller
    - Costs less

I have the 17" MBP that I carry around but that's a desktop replacement. If you already have a Mac Pro, perhaps you don't need as much power as MBP, unless the price is not a big deal. The MBP definitely is professional looking.

4. tfward thread starter macrumors member

Well with my laptop I don't really use hardcore except when traveling when I may play a game or two. I'm just really bad about getting the best available just incase I may need in the future even if at the time it's overkill. Thanks.

5. sixtyone macrumors newbie

i'm in the same boat really... i will be getting a laptop in the summer (waiting till after june) and i am in a constant debate between the MB and the MBP... i've read a lot about the cons of the both from crack cases, dents, getting hot and a number of other things however i still always lean towards the MBP...

for me, i like the bigger screen and the better resolution (i love the extra space) and i find that the MBP just feels better when typing...

i do like how small the MB is and that would be great for carrying it around however the weight difference isn't that big and if you get a decent bag, you wouldn't really notice the difference...

so this week, i am choosing the MBP, next week who knows... haha

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I know exactly what you mean. I recently went with a new 2.4 MB white
    and am very happy with it. Also got $75 back from Amazon and bought
    a 4gb memory kit from Owc for $90.

Its fast and I don't see any heat issues.

7. elmz macrumors regular

If cost isn't a factor I would go with the MBP. But if all you need is a MB then get a MB. Personally, I used the MBP as my desktop/gaming replacement.

8. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

get the macbook

You will be pleased and you will save a lot of money.

9. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

I am trying to make the same decision. A MBP for £1200 or a MB for £760.

I doubt that the graphics card will really make a difference for me. BUT, the resolution on the MB is not great, and at 13 inches, its smaller than the iBook I am typing on now. I don't know if I could take a reduction in screen size, I already think this one is a little cramped.

So, I am leaning towards the MBP for its screen size, it will cost £400 odd more, but if that means less irritance while I am using photoshop, a better graphics card, and a much nicer case, PLUS a higher resale value, I think its pretty much worth it, although I haven't quite convinced myself yet :)

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd say get a refurbished 2.4. It's just as fast and it's cheaper!

11. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

but it has half the GPU memory... and if you mean the 2007 2.4 models, they don't have multi-touch, and smaller HDs...

12. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

So true! ...
    Also you will have 850 USD saved towards any future purchases (like a 3G phone or new mac tablet for example? :D:cool:;))

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You don't need the extra GPU memory, multitouch is overrated, and the OP can buy a 320GB (or 500GB when they come out), extra RAM if needed, a protection case/sleeve/skin, AppleCare, and will have money left over!

14. HastaLaVista macrumors member

RE: The heat and a 'lap' issue. . .

All my laptops that I've had have had heat problems. They all needed a flat surface to allow room for cooling.

I use a lap desk with a laminate top and a bean bag like bottom. It allows the laptop to sit on a flat surface for cooling, it keeps my lap from frying. And it also gives me a bit of a surface for a mouse.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If money isnt an issue whatsoever, go with the 2.4Ghz mbp for 3 reasons:
    1) aluminum matches your mac pro
    2) firewire 800 is quite handy to use with your mac pro
    3) 15.4" led screen is gorgeous and worth it to be unattached to your mac pro off your desk to go in awe at the vividness of the mbp!

16. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The extra graphics memory does not make a real world difference. I say get the old one it seems like a far better value, Multi Touch is really over-rated.

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Not for me, I LOVE multitouch and the 3 finger swipe back and foward is god send if you use safari! Not to mention there will be future apps that will utilize the multitouch as well.

Also I think its pretty nice to have a gpu power on laptop on the 2.4Ghz mbp and if you can get your little bro/sister/cousin/friend's school id, you can use it to lessen the blow for the 2.4Ghz mbp and + tax pay $1947 (like I did!) =D

18. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

ive had both and will probably never buy a plastic MB again. They are nice, but they feel like they heat up more on the bottom.

my penny MBP is toasty when encoding, but other than that, its peaceful to put on my lap.

i just wish it had a little higher res than the 1440x900, like 1680x1050, to match the external ive had for years.

19. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I agree the macbook while its price is very good and on the cheap.. it does feel clunky/cheaply built.. feels like a toy more than a real laptop.. I guess you get what you pay for.

If I had a 12-15 year old son or daughter I would buy a macbook or a mac mini for them to abuse to get introduced to macs before buying them a mbp a couple/few years later kind of deal.

I also agree if the 15" mbp would get 1680x1050 that would be sweet.. but I loved that resolution on the 17" mbp and if Nehalem mbp comes out with the 1680x1050 resolution led, I'd definitely get one of those.

20. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

The GPU power has not changed, it only received a memory bump however the Graphics card can't really Utilize it due to the 128-bit connection to the mother board. While multi-touch has some uses, it isn't worth paying extra for.

21. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I've owned the previous gen 2.4ghz mbp and now I own the 2.4Ghz mbp penryn model. I have to say that multitouch, newer screens without the yellow tint, and I do hear about the freeze/sleep issues with the previous gen mbps (5-6 out of the 12 that I had of the sr merom mbp had this issue). Not to mention the penryn runs so much cooler on your lap and overall as well. I remember on the previous gen mbp the left palm wrist area got really hot and the left speaker and top portion (where it saids macbook pro) got hot to the point where its unbearable to touch but not anymore the new penryn runs so much cooler its finally an apple laptop without it being in a dominos heatwave box!

I've owned the 2.5Ghz mbp 15" with the 512mb vram and while gaming might not make a difference at all.. driving an external monitor I've noticed the 512mb vram felt ALOT more responsive with less hiccups. 256vram runs it fine as I do right now with my 23" ACD but it felt so much faster with the 512mb vram and not to mention the 6mb cache does make a difference.

With the 6mb of cache I remember I could open everything on my dock without even a moment of freezing (the apps bouncing) and now with the 3mb of cache with the 256vram mbp, if I tried to open every single app after 3-4 apps the bouncing stops and freezes a for a good 2-4 seconds and continues on.

Of course I never use my laptop that way anyways and opening up 1-2 apps at a time is more than enough but just giving you a little bit of difference. I still think the 2.4Ghz mbp is the best buy though right under $2k and for what you get is the best deal!

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I can't really tell you much about the MB but I have a one-year-old MBP that has been almost without trouble (knock on wood).

The MBP gets as hot as any normal notebook will. I have had an HP and Dell, and they both got hotter. I think the HP was almost scalding if you touched a certain part of the bottom. Ironically, most "laptop" makers tell you not to put the computer on your lap.

The MacBook has plenty of juice to keep you going for a while. They don't have a dedicated GPU, but they aren't really made to need it. Unless you're using it for serious games that need a massive GPU, I doubt you'll notice much of a difference. However, I would hate a screen smaller than my 15.4". It seems small after normally using a 20" screen.

But if you've got a Mac Pro already, you probably don't need a MBP. I would recommend waiting until the next revision, which I heard may come in the summer. They're going to upgrade to a new processor/chipset line that I think can go faster, use a faster bus, and use DDR3.

23. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Thanks for the hands-on of the 2.5 model, I'm torn between getting that model or waiting for the next model. I don't particularly "need" a machine before September so I hope something comes out before then and makes the decision easier!

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Ahh I see that on your sig that your selling your 2.8Ghz mac pro! I've sold mine just a couple months ago and using the 2.4Ghz mbp as my main machine is more than enough! Also not to mention loving the extra $$ in the savings for future apple goodies!

But in all seriousness I've switched soo many times since 2005 from powerbooks to now.. that after using the machines the last gen or current gen mbp's are the best to buy right now and Nehalem next.

Also judging from the imac with the 1066mhz frontside bus with the newer 800mhz RAM, I see that it doesnt make a big difference to wait for montevina. I know the current imacs dont use the montevina but its the exactl same specs in speed. So I think that if you've bought the current gen mbp its fine but if you happen to need a laptop soon I think you should might as well for the montevina.

25. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

All I can say is that the older 2.4Ghz mbp I had to use the ilap that I have and was a "must" and now with the penryn 2.4Ghz mbp my ilap is in my closet not even used once as the laptop is very cool to use. I'm just curious how much cooler the montevina's will run!