MBP or MBA ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dudulang, Jan 18, 2010.

1. dudulang macrumors member

Hello, this is my first thread here. I'm planning to purchase a notebook, but I don't know MBP or MBA which should i buy.
    With my new macbook, i only use safari, iTunes, email, office, and other applications for work and study , i don't going to play games on it. And i don't use the optical drive (there is a optical drive on my current notebook , but i have used it less than three times in the past 3 years). But i heard that Macbook Air is a "crippled" notebook. so i don't know if MBA is really "crippled" compared to MBP.
    In my condition, which do you think i should buy?
    thanks in advance.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It sounds like a MacBook Air will suit your needs fine.

3. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Go to a retailer and give it the head to toe. Use all the applications on it that you do at home and get a feel for it.

Besides the heat and optical drive, I honestly can't find something wrong with the MBA if you aren't doing real intense stuff.

4. Paul B macrumors 6502

5. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

What kind of applications do you use? For example when I tried to use SPSS along with Word on my mac to write a GLM paper i found the 2gb of ram too little.

I love the air but it's not powerful enough for what i do and I am not a gamer either. IMO the 13" mbp is not terribly bigger and for the same money it's a much more powerful computer. I would only get an MBA if I already had another powerful computer and didn't do any heavy work on the go.

6. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

7. dudulang thread starter macrumors member

thanks, spinnerlys
    CPU : 2.13 (MBA) compared to 2.53(MBP 13')
    RAM: 2GB compared to 4GB
    storage: SSD compared to HDD

the CPU and RAM of MBA is slower and smaller than MBP, but I don't play games on it. For working and studying, i think SSD is faster. Because the HDD will get so slow after 1 or 2 years and that is frustrating and annoying of waiting a long time to open a file or an application.

8. Paul B macrumors 6502

FYI, you can upgrade the MBP hard drive to SSD.

9. Skibrett3211 macrumors member

Skibrett3211

if you have a new macbook, then why do you need another laptop?
    also unless the weight and thickness are really a issue why would you spend more money for less ram, less HD space, etc?

10. dudulang thread starter macrumors member

I'm a student of major microelectronics, so I use some applications for compiling. And other applications such as word, excel, etc...

11. dudulang thread starter macrumors member

I haven't got a macbook , and this will be my first macbook. My current notebook is VAIO.

12. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

You can get an SSD in the MacBook Pro as well for $1,849, the MacBook Pro is looking like the better value...always has.

I don't understand the MBA's purpose or price, I guess people are crazy.

13. dudulang thread starter macrumors member

Yes, that is a solution, but the optical drive is useless for me.

14. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Um...

15. Skibrett3211 macrumors member

Skibrett3211

16. dudulang thread starter macrumors member

Someone knows if MBA is a "crippled" macbook? it means is there any difference between MBP 13' and MBA for using safari, movies and other simple applications?
    And which has the overheating problem?
    Thanks.

17. dudulang thread starter macrumors member

Um......

18. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

MBP 13" no question over the MBA

I believe that the MBA is in fact a crippled machine. Some (many) on these forums will disagree but there are a lot of problems on the Air beyond those Apple designed in as "features". Screen lines, overheating, stuttering on video, etc. If you can afford two machines you can make one an Air. If you can only afford one, stay away from the Air.

19. Skibrett3211 macrumors member

Skibrett3211

..... you okay?

20. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

You're going from one extreme to the other. Have you considered a MacBook?

MBAs are slower and they are used as slightly better netbooks.

MBPs are powerhorses.

Both MBAs and MBPs are very expensive. You can pay a lot less for a MacBook and be satisfied.

21. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Sounds like you're definitely leaning toward the MBA. I would just go with what your heart desires. Also, post in the MBA section maybe. I think the MBP people will lean you in their direction, while the MBA people will lead you towards theirs :eek:

I had the original MBA 1.6 GHz and it was an ok experience. I never experienced studdering of flash videos, but I don't think Youtube was HD at that time.

Also one thing to consider is that the new Air has a somewhat underclocked Geforce 9400 (as compared to other Apple products with the chip) while mine only had horrid slow Intel HD graphics.

Lastly, if you're concerned about Flash performance (You may not be) Remember that Adobe is developing one that harnesses the GPU's power to help provide smoother playback.

The only thing my air did was turn on it's fans really loud when I watched youtube or flash vids. However, my unibody MBP 2.93 GHz will often do the same.

;)

One final note, I had the 80GB mechanical hard drive (not an ssd)

22. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

If anything get a MB, or MBP if you must. MBA is kind of a joke for the price.

23. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

You need a beast of a computer to run SPSS fast. We have 4 core towers with 4 gb ram and SPSS still kills the performance on those computers.

24. dudulang thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Scott,
    I'm considering buying a notebook in one month, and i will buy a iMac when i arrive in US in 9/2011( because I'm in Paris now), so i'll do the heavy work with my iMac and simple work with my laptop.