MBP or MP for me?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maugustyn, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Maugustyn macrumors newbie

hey first post but long time reader and with todays mac pro update I'm looking to bu my first mac. i just need to know what one i will be waiting for macworld next week but want to start thinking about it. i need it for school and video editing and some gaming through windows. i multi task a lot if that helps. i don't like the idea of the iMac because of its laptop parts (whats the point) so and feed back would be great.

IM IN HIGH SCHOOL NOT COLLEGE

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Sounds like an iMac would do you just fine, given your described usage. But if you're against that platform, then the baseline MacPro with a upgraded GPU will probably suit your needs. For the portable MBPro, the lower-end might be alright, the mid-range if you plan for future-proofing.

When you say "some gaming," what do you mean? Keep in mind that that Macs are not gaming machines. Are you going to be upset if you get less than ideal performance? If so, then reconsider.

Edit: Oh, and this would be better in the "Buying Tips" forum, if one of the mods would be so kind.

3. thinkband macrumors regular

Hey welcome back,

I am in a situation very much like you. I do not know if money is a big issue for you but that would be a big factor in your decision. I personally think a Mac Pro for a student is quite extravagant, especially since it does not seem you want to be a computer engineer.

Myself, I am big with photoshop. I might like a little gaming but it is not that necessary. I definitely want a laptop that is fast and does not get slow over time (like my PC). Also I recomend a laptop since you will be a student, and will want to do homework at the library, in the park, or even at Starbucks!

Here is where this is a money issue, assuming that you want a Laptop, you choose between a Macbook and a Macbook Pro. The difference in price is about $700. Personally, I could use some of the extra features of the Pro model (backlit keyboard, magsafe adapter to add a few) + it is just about the slickest laptop on the market. Though the bottom line (which should be fine for you and me) runs for $2000.

Good luck with your purchase

4. Maugustyn thread starter macrumors newbie

i have around 3000 dollars and actual do have osme intrest in enginearing. the gaming i do will be in boot camp but doesnt have to be an alineware like profomence. i need it to kick it out well for 3 years atleast.

5. macguymike macrumors 6502

I'd recommend a MacBook Pro. It will perform better all around for the things you want to do and will definitely last at least 3 years.

My 12" PowerBook G4 still runs fine (though it's running out of steam) and it's five years old.

6. thinkband macrumors regular

$3000 will get u a great laptop. I personally am looking at $2000-2200. I think macbook pro is your best bet. It is an all around great laptop. If you want a better graphics card, you can get one for an extra $300 which also includes a slightly faster cpu (2.4ghz).

Unless you are a hardcore gamer, I would stick with a 15 inch screen and get an external screen from Dell for $300 to use when your macbook pro is at your desk. Dell is really the only other company I would look at as I do not know much of Alienware. The XPS line is highly regarded and about on par with the macbook pro but it is a little better for gaming.

Personally, I have not really had good luck with Dell products or their customer service. 1st Dell computer locked up and Dell had nothing to do with me. I got a second dell desktop (current computer and XP) and I cannot stand daily popups to update dell software or apps opening up when the computer starts even after I uninstalled them. And.. I hear Vista is even worse.

With $3000 you can spend $2000-2400 on a macbook pro and will have money left over for external keyboard, mouse, bag, and software such as boot camp and Windows Xp SP2 (running you at $200ish).

Though, wait till the 15th before making the move. Rumor has it that the new processor will be added to the mac laptops.

7. TimJim macrumors 6502a

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

need portablity yes or no?

answer kinda influences the decision

9. Maugustyn thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so far i am in high school not collage if that matters so poratablity is nice but not needed. if i go macbook pro i would get a 17" HD one or one with an external HD monitor.

with a mac pro i woul.d need a monitor probly dell 24"

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats a pricey set up for hs. wished i was as lucky lol

it really does come down to portability. if you do get a mbp, get a 15" with a monitor. for one it's cheaper and also alot easier to well move around. 17"s are big and if you got that might as well just have gotten a mp imho

11. thinkband macrumors regular

Yikes. Do you really need all that? I mean if you are not going to be really on the go that often, then you can just have it sit in your room/dorm room most of the time. 15inch is alot bigger than it sounds and you will be happy that you did not spend an extra $500 for screen size. Getting a nice dell 24" costs just a tad more than getting 2 extra inches on your MBP. Usually the people getting the 17 inch either do not plan to go around with their laptop or do not plan to have an external monitor and opt for a bigger laptop screen size.

But of course it is your money and if that is what you want, then it will be a great machine. I am looking forward to mine after Macworld :)

12. BackInTheSaddle macrumors regular

BackInTheSaddle

Get the 15" MBP instead of the 17. I've lived with all three sizes of PowerBook (12, 15, 17) and also the current Macbooks and 15 inch Macbook Pros. I use a 23" ACD HD when at home. Serves my work purposes (heavy Adobe apps, some video editing) just fine. Get an external monitor and you'll be very happy. The 17 is just too huge (no fun using it in the middle seat on a 737).

13. Maugustyn thread starter macrumors newbie

14. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Based on your usage it would seem to be sheer overkill. You are going to spend +$3500 on a machine that literally won't act any different to you than an iMac.

However, when you are comparing laptops vs. desktops the decision is always one between portability and price/speed. For the same amount of money, a laptop will be considerably slower, with a much smaller screen,and less expandability.

For the same price, you can get a much faster desktop. What makes this complex though, is that you can't get a mid-range MacPro. The only option is an iMac.

The iMac's only real downfall for a customer like you is its expandability. If you can overlook that, it will likely be $1000 cheaper than a macbook pro, with a bigger screen, faster, and somewhat portable compared to the MacPro.

The iMac offers a whole lot of bang for your buck. Anyone will tell you this. Unless you NEED portabiltiy, and/or unless you NEED expandability and very top-end performance, it will always be your best bet.

15. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

a mac pro really would be just a waste of money. I know you said that you're not that keen on them, but an imac really would suit you best, as although it is still based around laptop architecture, you get an awful lot more computer for your money. After just a year, my mbp is feeling a little weak at the knees with all the stuff thats on it, but alas i need portability, so was forced in its direction: if I didn't need portability, i would have most definitely got the imac

16. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I think the answer will be clearer after MacWorld next week.

You have to see what your needs are and not focus on "nice to have" features.

Considering you are in college even the MacBook Pro may sound a bit like a stretch.

Have you considered getting a MacBook and then build a gaming computer?

17. Maugustyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Considering you are in college even the MacBook Pro may sound a bit like a stretch.

im in high school in 10th grade if that changes nything

18. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Sorry if I sounded condescending but what needs do you see yourself have?

Is it for browsing, listening to music and doing the occasionally light video editing? I can see where gaming might make you want the better GPU though.

All Macs are fine at multitasking as long as they have plenty of ram.

19. thinkband macrumors regular

I agree with him. But I am still quite confused of what your needs are. You said some video editing and gaming in windows. Both of those tasks can be accomplished with a Macbook. I guess I would only go with the MBP if you want the extra little perks.

You could do a simple macbook and make a gaming computer for about the same price as a macbook pro so you would have the best of both worlds, portability and performance. You can even get a big 24" monitor for your gaming set up.

If gaming is not really important (say you aren't into the latest and greatest games) then you should be fine. Getting a iMac is a good idea if you really do not care about portability. In our current world, portability is getting more and more important and you are going to see your campus mates at the library with their macbook and you are going to be stuck in your dorm unable to be in a more pleasing environment. Just my 2 cents.

20. Maugustyn thread starter macrumors newbie

1. i will never make a PC agn.............
    i plan on doing video editing with final cut pro . also lots of windows and stuff and gaming

21. pr5owner macrumors 65816

do you have any CLUE what you can get for $3000?

Antec 900 Gaming Case $90
    ASUS Striker Extreme $300
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz - $275 (some people have been able to overclock this cpu to 3.6GHz which out performs any cpu at stock speeds on AIR COOLING)
    Patriot Viper 4GB RAM PC2 6400 - $150
    BFG Tech GeForce 8800GTX 768MB - $455 (#1)
    BFG Tech GeForce 8800GTX 768MB - $455 (#2)
    >> Video cards in SLI
    2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB - $150 x2 >> Raid 0
    2x Western Digital Caviar GP 1TB - $254 x2 >> independant, raid 1, whatever you want
    OCZ GameXStream 1010W power supply $269
    Supermulti light scribe buner (multiple brand names have it) ~$25

Totals $ 2827
    can you price a mac out that will beat this thing? thats 2TB of storage and 150GB of raid 0 HDD space spinning at 10K RPM, you can load any OS in like 20 seconds.

22. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

MacBooks also have MagSafe adapters.

23. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Does it run OS X?

BTW, you forgot to include the OS to the price.

24. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Just... just stop. It's not a Mac and no one cares. Spec for spec, dollar for dollar... you can't compare their value like that. Sorry.

25. pr5owner macrumors 65816

ubuntu + compiz fusion is free legally, and no OSX to date can compare with the eye candy. (if you even care about eye candy)

if you want a demo just go to youtube and type in compiz fusion, or even just compiz.

also OSX can run on a PC or x86 architechture, i believe theres even a version for 64bit machines AMD specifically.

but if you enjoy paying 2-5x the amount for a computer that does the same thing, go right on ahead.

an im not a windows fan, i hate vista, its probably the worst OS aside from WinME, but winMe is on entirely diffrent level of suck that no OS can reach. for me XP is fast and reliable, the only time that windows really does crash is running quicktime which is why i dont run it at all. i run ubuntu on all my machines but for gaming, you MUST HAVE XP. theres just no way around it. also SLI isnt supported in any other setup, its still flaky in linux and doesnt even run properly on OSX