MBP Purchase Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSNWork, Mar 19, 2011.

1. TSNWork macrumors newbie

Hi all,

First post, but I've done a lot of reading on the forums and reference sites, so not completely new. Sorry to add to the list of "which should I buy?" threads, but I'm having trouble deciding.

I currently use a 2008 MBP (which replaced a 2005 iBook). I'm not a "power user" however you define it, but I do tend to use up my laptops. For example, my current MBP hasn't been able to load more than 2-3 Safari tabs simultaneously for about 10 months, and having Word or Excel open at the same time as Safari has also been a struggle for a while. (Yes, it's in bad shape -- I was waiting for the 2011 update.)

Basically, I want performance and durability like anybody else, and given the three-year period that I'll hopefully use the computer, let's say that a price variation (within $500-$750) doesn't matter that much.

I want a 15" of some sort. Should I go for a refurbished 2010 or one of the new ones? I'm not techie, but I'm willing to explore adding an SSD if say, buying a refurbished and adding an SSD might be the best. What specs should I be looking at?

Much appreciate any and all of your guys' thoughts. I want to learn more about this stuff. Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How much RAM do you have in your current MBP? It sounds like you are just running out of RAM which causes slow downs. If you aren't a power user, then faster CPU or GPU won't improve the performance for you, thus look at killing the bottlenecks in your current one (RAM and HD)

3. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Ditto. Sounds like you have what, 2gb ram?

That computer will be fine for a few more years

4. eaf7s macrumors regular

Upgrade to 4gb RAM (doesn't support 8gb I think...but can't really remember), stick a 7200hdd in there. It'll be a champ. The GPU/CPU difference won't matter.

5. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

This

6. TSNWork thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. What cost should I be looking at for the extra 2 GB of RAM and a 7200 hdd? And while I just read this and this , I'm scanning some of the recommended websites and am having trouble determining what's compatible with an early 2008 MBP. Any tips pointing me in the right direction would be great (as would any dissenting opinion on buying RAM as opposed to a new laptop).

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

RAM
    HD

Your Mac supports up to 6GB of RAM (up to 8GB with correct firmware) so getting a single 4GB module is the wisest. That will give you 5GB of RAM and 1x4GB actually costs slightly less than 2x2GB.

That HD is 500GB so if you can get along with less, then get a smaller one. We are looking at a total of ~110$, so nearly nothing.

8. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

9. TSNWork thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. Thanks much!

10. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yupp what hellhammer found is perfect for you.

11. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

BTW, which mbp 2008 do you have?

Could I also recommended a new install of osx when you get the hard drive as well?

12. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

That's good info and that HD currently has a $10 off coupon on the page. $60 is not bad.

13. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Holy frijoles. That's awesome. Definitely a good switcheroony from my current 250/5400.

14. TSNWork thread starter macrumors newbie

My MBP is a 15" 2.4/2.2 GHz (which I gather is technically distinct from an Early 2008). I actually realized that after I ordered what Hellhammer recommended, so I'm hoping it's still compatible.

And yeah, I'll reinstall OSX when I get the HD -- thanks for the tip. Any other suggestions?

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Oh, then cancel the RAM order. I thought you had late 2008 MBP which uses DDR3 whereas the early 2008 MBP uses DDR2, although you didn't specify it. Get e.g. this RAM instead. Now it will be ~20$ cheaper to get 2x2GB instead of 1x4GB so I would get that. Maybe I should have asked you to specify the model of you MBP but hopefully no extra hassle is required to solve this (it's weekend so your order may not have shipped yet) :eek:

16. TSNWork thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoops. Okay, I attempted to cancel the RAM order (hoping it won't be a problem) and substituted the new one. And just to clarify, the DDR2 works with the 2.4/2.2 GHz as well as the Early 2008? I know Apple classifies them as different models, so I want to be sure.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Take a screenshot of your About This Mac, just to make sure. If you have an early 2008 MBP like it sounds like you do, then you must use DDR2.

18. HBOC macrumors 68020

Sounds like you have an SR (Santa Rosa) machine, which was like late 2007/early 08". If your machine is all silver, than DDR2 is what you need.

19. TSNWork thread starter macrumors newbie

Screen shot is attached and my machine is all silver. Looks like DDR2 is the right call.

Attached Files:

20. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Yeah I apologize as well as hellhammer, I didn't catch that the first was ddr3 either. Yes the new ddr2 is what you need. If you ordered from newegg don't worry about it, they have great customer service.

21. TSNWork thread starter macrumors newbie

No worries at all. I'm grateful for the input. Thanks again!

22. TSNWork thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so Newegg had already shipped my order, but a refund won't be a problem. Now, however, the HDD will arrive before the correct RAM. Does the order in which I install them matter? Sorry if that's a stupid question -- I literally know nothing, but I'm trying to learn.

23. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

I honestly don't think it matters. I've done this before don't even remember which I did first, the RAM or the HD. I think it's just a matter of convenience. You can wait for the RAM to come in and do it all at once while you have the bottom cover off. That way you don't have to worry about taking the bottom off and losing screws twice. Haha, just a thought.

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Doesn't matter. You could upgrade the HD without upgrading the RAM at all, or vice versa.

25. zenio macrumors 6502

I agree. You already have an excellent machine.
    Make the suggested improvements and you'll be in great shape.