MBP question regarding higher education store US

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karansaraf, Apr 29, 2011.

1. karansaraf macrumors regular

Hey guys

I am hoping to come to the US this summer and whilst there (in California) am hoping to buy a MBP using a higher education store discount online via one of my friends.

I was wondering if someone could just give me a price using the higher education store for the following spec MBP, so I can compare a few things.

15 inch 2GHz
    256GB SSD
    Anti glare widescreen display
    3 year Applecare

Also another price but with a 500GB @ 7200rpm instead of the 256GB SSD.

Many thanks :)

2. Cantisama, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

Cantisama macrumors member

-Edit: The following information is under debate- You cannot get the education discount through a friend, it is only allowed if you are the one enrolled/employed at a school. Even if your friend pays for it, he/she is not allowed to give it away, it is only for his/her personal use.

To see prices just visit the Apple store website, click "Education Store" from the left menu, and select your school from the list.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I was able to transfer my education discount to a friend at an Apple store in New York. The salesperson was happy to do the transaction. I didn't even have to buy the computer for my friend -- he used his own credit card and got the discount both for the computer and Applecare.

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yes, the post above me is correct. So, if your friend is willing to help you be aware Apple won't want to sell them another discounted laptop for roughly 12 months. Well, thats the policy but I'm not sure if its actually enforced if you buy in a retail store. Buying online they can track it a little easier.

You can check the Educational prices yourself, just log on the Apple.com and head to the educational section. It will ask for a school and the name of any college or university can be entered since they all get the same price. Thats it!

On the 15" the discount is usually $100 USD.

5. Cantisama macrumors member

Hmm... I'm pretty sure I read before that the education discount was for personal use only (i.e. the one eligible to purchase is the one using it), but looking at the terms and conditions they do not mention purchase transfers:
    http://storeimages.apple.com/1837/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespoliciesEdIndividual.html

If you want to be sure you should email Apple before purchasing. Also let your friend know that the education discount is limited to one laptop per year.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Yes, the policy states that the ed discount is not transferable, can only be used for a particular class of product once every 12 months etc.

However, in practice this policy is not followed at many Apple stores or even online. This is probably one of those instances where your experience may vary depending upon the disposition of the sales person you work with.

7. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular

My friend wouldn't be getting another purchase within the next 12 months, so it's no big deal on that count.

I guess the only thing I need to potentially worry about is if the MBP needs repairing or seeing to in an Apple Store, would they be happy to do it, considering I will be the one taking it to them in England, whereas it was bought by someone in the US. Will have to ask I guess.

8. ViviUO macrumors 6502

Apple does not ask for verification while checking out of the online store. Just saying.

9. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular

So I could buy it in my name? Can't anyone just buy using Education store that way though?

10. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

the base 15" is 100 off
    the high end is 200 off

and there there is a discount on ram/hd/screen etc.

11. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

no they need to see a school id or some proof a bill etc although i took my sister to buy a new macbook and she forgot her id so they just asked her to login to her school email to show it worked.

12. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

sometimes they will people have reported getting emails or calls and having to supply proof or perhaps they call the school in some but not all cases.

13. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular

But if you're buying online, who are you going to show proof of ID/bills etc to? Apologies if the questions are stupid, I've never bought from the education store in the US, and it works differently in the UK (you have to be logged into a networked computer at your university's library to get the discount).

14. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I recently bought a Pro with an education discount. Does the 12-month waiting period apply if I want to purchase a refreshed Air this June? Or is it only within its own family of laptops? Like I can't purchase another Pro with education discount until 12 months later?

15. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

they will have you mail fax or scan a copy to their department. Idk who it is but this is what i have heard from numerous member.

i believe it might be 1 desktop and 1 laptop per 12 months or it is just 1 computer per 12 months so yes you cannot purchase a refreshed air until 1 year since your pro purchase.

16. superfula macrumors 6502

Yup, this is true. Back in school I had to provide proof. I scanned my id and emailed it in.

I also knew of a couple others that ordered via the edu store and didn't have to provide proof. It seems to be random.

17. Inara macrumors member

The same for me, the Apple guy wanted to see my friend's proof, then it was all at my name :)

18. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

My experience is it is one notebook and one desktop system per school year. So you can buy one notebook now, and another in the fall.

While they don't seem to check, they do reserve the right to audit the sales and bill you for the difference if you exceed the limit.

19. mike 2011 macrumors newbie

Bought my 2011 MBP with the education discount on-line. I never had to show proof of anything.

20. dizzy130 macrumors member

I was with a friend buying a new iMac for her parents who don't speak good English at a US Apple store. The Apple employee asked if my friend was a student and gave her the discount after she showed her ID even though she knew the computer was for her parents and that she doesn't even live with them.

21. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Ditto with my iMac. But they could still ask for proof at any time- I wouldn't do this unless you truly are enrolled.

22. mike 2011 macrumors newbie

Are you saying Apple could call me at random and ask me for proof that I'm a student? Do you know this for a fact?

23. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It's right in the sales policies that everyone reads :) before making a purchase, http://http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespoliciesEdIndividual.html:

24. Sgt93 macrumors 6502a

Sgt93

The discount maxes out at like $200.00 for the big 15" and 17" books.

25. karansaraf thread starter macrumors regular

One final question -

What details do I have to give when buying something through Higher Education Store US?

Is it purely just NAME and UNIVERSITY? So could I use the name/university of a friend from Michigan and have the MBP delivered to where I'm staying in California?