MBP RAM from OWC - which brand is best?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rokusaburo, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Rokusaburo macrumors member

Rokusaburo

g'day guys,

well, after after having waited about two months for new MBPs to be announced, i've finally decided to cave in and buy a current 17" model after this tuesday (26th) if nothing is announced.

i'd be getting the standard 2GB RAM from apple, which i'd be replacing with 4GB of 3rd party memory from OWC.

i've bought RAM from OWC before for my mac pro and i haven't had any problems.

my question is, from the four brands of RAM that OWC offer (OWC, TechWorks, Micron and Samsung) for 4GB, which is best? is the samsung RAM at $159USD any more reliable than the $96USD OWC RAM?

thanks in advance.

2. Matek macrumors 6502a

No ram is better than other if they have the same specifications, so any 2 GB stick of DDR2 667 ram is identical in performance to a same stick from another company. Don't trust companies who say their memory is "multimedia enhanced", "mac optimised", "extreme performance", etc. The only slight difference could be the length of the warranty period.

Other than that getting the cheapest one is the only reasonable thing to do.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I've ordered many modules from OWC and get their brand. I've had zero problems. THey've been used in several PowerBooks and MacBook Pros (and probably some I've lost track of.