MBP really "any day now?" Or any month now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BettBee, Apr 1, 2010.

  1. BettBee macrumors member

    Apr 1, 2010
    Hey all,

    Am being slowly driven crazy by a 3 year old MacBook with logic board problems (battery not charging although when last seen it was fine with lots of life left) and keyboard issues (dead 3, e, d, and c keys. I am typing by stopping to click on those keys in Keyboard Viewer each time one of those comes up. Arrgh.)

    Why not fix/replace now? I have decided to get a new MacBook Pro and have been waiting until the new ones come out. I'm getting impatient, and would like to have some idea of how long that will be. Any real ideas on that?

    And yes I know it's April Fools but this is not a joke and though I do try to maintain a healthy sense of humor this is NOT fun.


  2. paddler40 macrumors member

    Jan 25, 2010
    you didn't hear? Steve Jobs is taking Apple out of the LapTop business
  3. BettBee thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 1, 2010
    Right, you should go get a Dell then.
  4. PAC88 macrumors 6502

    Apr 23, 2009
    yea.. sorry to say but this is true. the current series is the last. now i'm going to paraphrase this but I think steve said something like "notebooks have reached a point where what's inside no longer matters"
  5. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

    Gorilla Power

    Mar 19, 2010
    In other news, Apple is stepping into making washing machines and cloth-driers. Happy April Fool's day !

    Seriously though, its taking forever.
  6. BettBee thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 1, 2010
    Right, Apple no longer wants money. :rolleyes:
  7. Kajover macrumors regular

    Feb 23, 2010
    It's all about mana nowadays.
  8. PAC88 macrumors 6502

    Apr 23, 2009
    ipad is the future of computing.. lol, I want to buy one of those things and smash it while I'm walking out of the apple store

    no, I'm actually with you on this.. my powerbook g4 died last summer and I've actually been waiting since then for these updates, or really just any update.. I was prepared to wait a few months but did not think it would take anywhere near this long.
    it's driving me insane as well.. it's been a good test of my patience though, I'm at the point where I've waited so long it's becoming amusing. and it doesn't even matter how much longer it takes because I've reached the point of no return

    so if it makes you feel any better.. I haven't had any notebook to use since my g4 died last summer. I've been stuck at an old desktop for almost a year
  9. Psicotec macrumors newbie

    Jul 27, 2007
    I feel sorry for ya. My SR MBP was a really bad machine, quality wise. I can't believe that you're considering another Apple product. I have owned the following products and got these problems:

    - MBP SR 15" - Yellow screen
    - MBP 13" -08 - Bad keyboard backlight, faulty DVD drive.
    - iMac 27" - Yellow screen
    - iPod classic 80 gb - Faulty harddrive
    - iPod Nano fat - wouldn't start

    Apple support was good though. But when four replacements for MBP and three iMac 27" doesn't change the fact that the screen is yellow (and other minor issues) I gave up hope and switched to other hardware. I still own a couple of these products and I hope that it's ok to post here. Just stating some facts.
  10. adbge macrumors newbie

    Apr 1, 2010
    While I can't offer anything more than just speculation, I think the update is going to be sooner rather than later.

    As someone else said in the "Waiting for Arrandale thread": the MacBook Pro release is a big goal of Apple's, and they're not going to intentionally delay updates. When they're ready, they'll release the updated MBPs.
  11. Pentad macrumors 6502a


    Nov 26, 2003
    Psicotec: Sorry to hear about your problems but I that is a very rare situation.

    Not to be Johnny Raincloud but don't expect any new notebooks for awhile. Apple is riding the iPad wave right now in public and the media. There is no way they are going to release new hardware with all this attention on the iPad.

    I wouldn't look for anything until June. Any later and they might as well wait for the back-to-school push.

  12. BettBee thread starter macrumors member

    Apr 1, 2010
    Yeah, no. I don't buy it. Unless Apple has lost it's collective mind.

    I can see waiting for the hoola to die down, but really it's two totally separate markets with a small overlap.

    If you can get away with just the ickle wee gadget, you will. Who wouldn't? But if you need the MacBook Pro, and can't afford both, you're buying the MBP, asap. No question. I think Apple knows it'll do better by releasing MacBook Pro now, which then lets those of us who are iPad-curious to save up to get that next (or not, once we see it in action for awhile.)

    My main concern is not that Apple is deliberately making less money by withholding a major new release, beyond holding things up for a reasonable time after the iPad release, I'm worried that it may be experiencing some design or manufacturing snafu.

    The only other thing I can think of is that they are taking MacBooks in such an entirely new direction that it is legitimately just taking longer to develop. Which might be cool in the end, but would sure suck while they're getting to it . . .
  13. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a


    Aug 9, 2009
    I'd just go for the current MBP. People just complain about it not being the latest and greatest. There is plenty of power in the machines for just about everything most people would want to do in the pro sector. Sure there are the few that need more, but for the most part, it's more than enough.
  14. Supermansdead81 macrumors newbie

    Mar 29, 2010
    Dude I seriously hope you are wrong! I've been waiting for quite a while. At first I was like, "I hope I get enough money saved up to get the exact options I want on it", but now I'm way past that point.

    By the way there is a good rumor article that was just posted on macosrumors.com about the new suspected MBP changes that could surface.

    I personally think we will see them sometime this month unless some of the chasis changes are taking place that were described in that article I read. This would actually be a pretty dramatic laptop upgrade for them with a totally different type of chipset, graphics tech, maybe screen size ratio, and other added speculative features. That's all taking that article I read into consideration and if that is the case then they would definately hold off to announce them at WWDC when they announce any major renovation to existing products or dramatic new technology upgrades. If they are just using the same unibodies with the new chipsets and a few bumps in discrete graphics, memory, and HDD/SSD options, then I again think we will see them this month.
  15. Supermansdead81 macrumors newbie

    Mar 29, 2010
    I totally agree with what you are saying there to an extent. This would be perfectly fine if it was just a computer to me like it is to some other people. To me at this point it is about getting my money's worth if that makes sense. It's not just about being the latest and greatest because we all know other PC oems have been using these new Arrandale chips with better graphics cards and other options already. If Apple would seriously slash the prices on this aged line-up right now because they are definately getting close to the new refresh then I would definately pull the trigger. They are still charging new tech prices and that's why it would be a waste of money in my point of view. I'm sure others would agree with that on this forum.
  16. jbl macrumors newbie

    Jan 14, 2010
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    This is obviously what they want everyone to do. These machines are sooooooo over priced.. they have 2 years old technology on a 5-6 years old architecture, yet they sell these for more than the cost of a fast i5.

    I'm so glad I went with sony. I agree that my laptop is not as pretty, but it's faster than most iMacs..

    Note: I know some people want the speed because it exists and it's the latest stuff, but I actually need a LOT of cpu power
  17. Buzz Bumble Guest

    Oct 19, 2008
    New Zealand
    April is iPad month (as well as the first day being "Idiot's Day" where all the looneys come out of the woodwork, as proven above :rolleyes:), so it's unlikely that Apple will be announcing any updates this month. New MacBooks might be announced / released in May, but after that you're getting close to the Developer's conference and new iPhones which would mean waiting even longer for MacBook Pros.
  18. PAC88 macrumors 6502

    Apr 23, 2009
    you know nothing.. and you sound just as dumb as the rest of us trying to put together this puzzle
  19. Nein01 macrumors 6502


    Dec 1, 2009
    exactly. i would have had a MBP by now if the prices were reasonable. the 17" bto model w/ apple care that i was looking to purchase back on december 1st was $3400.

    four months later... still $3400! i would pay that price without hesitation if it was a top-of-the-line arrandale configuration, but a c2d? sorry, i'll pass. i actually do need the best tech specs for what i do, but i would settle for a high end 17" c2d if the price was halfway decent.

    like, make it $2400 and i'd go for it.
  20. greenmeanie macrumors 65816


    Jan 22, 2005
    There was a whole thread on pee yellow screens I also had one.
    My IPOD also died and the replacement parts price made it not even worth fixing it.
    The skipping key problem was annoying too.
    I have finally found my 13" MBP works just the way I wanted it and am happy for now.

    My take on the laptops you won't see one soon. I am thinking he wants to push the ipads into college's and school systems so why mess that up making a new laptop?
    After September maybe you will see a new Laptop but the school's are all talking about IPads right now. No more laptop for every child it is "IPAD for every Child".

  21. phrint macrumors 6502

    Feb 8, 2006

    Both of you must be talking through your noses because there are tons of deals to be had on the current MBP line. Just because the Apple store is selling them at full retail doesn't mean you have to be a sheep and pay that price. I walked away with a 2.8 MBP at a discount of almost $700. Well worth it for me.

    I really wish people would stop complaining about the pricing. You either aren't looking for deals or aren't looking hard enough. Give me a break.
  22. Clete2 macrumors 65816


    Sep 20, 2008
    Then I need more INT gear so that I can afford to cast a spell that large.
  23. hypermog macrumors regular

    Nov 17, 2009
  24. Pentad macrumors 6502a


    Nov 26, 2003
    I have no wish for a delay in an updated notebook line but I think most of us agree on a few points:

    -Apple's notebook line is outdated from a technology point of view. Their 'bang for the buck' is pretty low currently.

    -Apple's notebook line still sells very well. I don't have figures off hand but I think we've all seen their sales increase over the past months (or longer). So the public is still buying them.

    -When will they update? The question none of us can agree upon. I believe that Apple probably has thought about this a great deal as well.

    I know another person on this thread said it was a puzzle but I think we can make some honest observations:

    -A new notebook line will have enough new features that I think Apple will have to have some sort of media event. This isn't a speed bump or a new flash card reader, its a new line of CPUs plus a number of other items we've all wished for on other threads (BD, USB 3.0, high resolutions, etc...)

    Given what a media hound Steve is, I can't believe he would let that go with just an update on the Apple Store.

    -iPad mania is here and they are going to milk it for as long as they can. There is a reason you don't release two hit songs off an album at the same time. Question is, how long do you wait?

    -Time is not a friend to Apple here as I think we can all agree. Every week PC fan bois are flaming Apple for outdated hardware with a premium price, buyers here are ready to take hostages for an updated line, back to school ads start in July, the MDC is coming up, if you wait too much longer why not wait until back to school? Seriously, what do you lose? If sales are strong why not milk the next few months until you can release the f-bomb of upgrades for back to school?

    -Speaking of time, I think they should have had an update at the beginning of this year before the iPad hype really kicked in. Maybe they had so many folks working on the iPad that they couldn't release an updated line??

    Just some humble thoughts...
  25. Esquare macrumors member

    Sep 14, 2002
    I still think this 'many new features'-theory is shaky at best. And if it's incorrect, the rest of your observations fall to pieces.

    Although I haven't seen any hard evidence, I expect to see a refresh of the MBP in the second half of April at the latest. But that theory isn't worth more than 2 cents. :)

Share This Page