MBP running extremely slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lilmo2100, Jul 31, 2014.

1. lilmo2100 macrumors newbie

So I have a Macbook Pro (Mid 2012) 750GB HDD and 16GB RAM 2.9 i7
    Last week while working on some coding in Dreamweaver, I noticed that my computer got extremely slow and sluggish out of nowhere. I really didn't know what to do, so did the best thing I thought, and erased the drive (after manually backing up the HDD, not using time machine) I then installed Mavericks OSX see if it would work again, was getting issues while installing it. It was getting stuck on "less than one second", so I hard restarted the computer, and it booted up. But still was sluggish. Erased the drive again thinking it was a problem with the install. Did a clean install from a bootable flash disk used DiskMaker X installing Mavericks. The problem of it still seemed to be happening, being really sluggish.

Bit the bullet took it to the Apple store (hate going cause the one here is usually busy AF) But just had to hang around for 3 hours and someone finally helped me. He ran hardware test, ruled out failing drive, reinstalled OSX Mavericks. After messing about with it for 5 minutes, he said that he didn't think it was anything. Ran a few programs from the applications folder (which don't justify to the applications I'm usually using) so he said that it "felt" normal to him. I get home, start downloading Creative Cloud, installing apps. Boom slow and sluggish again.

I then started reading up on problems with spinning wheels, and mac being sluggish, only come across the obvious, - Make sure you have enough hard disk space (I have 95% free) - Make sure memory isn't maxed out (It's not using 3gb out of the 8gb) - Make sure CPU usage isn't high or hanging on something (That's a negative as well. CPU is at 97.14% Idle) I then came across a forum, don't know where in a google search somewhere, but it was saying something about Onyx. I ran Onyx, ran it through all the cleaning, maintenance etc. AFTER running through everything my computer starting working fine. Start up and Shut down were fast, and for the next 3 days up until yesterday, it was running like a brand new Mac! Haven't felt speed like that in a while. But like I said up until yesterday! It went back to being sluggish. The point that it started acting up again, was when I FIRST started getting problems, and that was when I was using Dreamweaver CC 2014.

Since then I've ran through PRAM reset, Onyx, etc. And STILL I'm slow, so I'm thinking it has to do with Dreamweaver like corrupting my system some how (sounds over the top) but I first got the problem using it, and got the problem AGAIN using it!

Can anyone give me some insight, I have some stuff that needs to go out to clients, and I'm running out of time. Making it very hard to do really anything. Can't even load up and Adobe programs as I just get a spinning wheel and then it becomes none responsive.

Regards

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Hmm... Provided that there is no hardware failure like a hard drive cable which could exhibit these symptoms, my guess is going to be the SMC. You should try resetting the SMC by following these instructions.

Code:
    Shut down the computer.
    Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
    On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
    Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
    Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

3. lilmo2100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that, and still nothing. Rebooted the computer as said in the step no luck in it going any quicker.....Any other thoughts?

Regards!

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Has it had any upgrades recently?

5. lilmo2100 thread starter macrumors newbie

It has had none what so ever. Extensive hardware test comes back clean. And disk verify comes back clean as well, no problems on it at all.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Just a thought here, something to try:

- Create a new user account
    - Give it administrative privileges
    - Give it any name you wish (administrative, "temporary", whatever)
    - Log out of your existing account (the "sluggish" one), and into the newly-created account
    - Does anything change? Is the computer still slow? Or does it become "more responsive" ????

If the new account is much more responsive, then it would suggest that your problems are "localized" in your own account.
    If there is no speed difference (still sluggish), then it would suggest that your problems are "global" -- i.e., related to the OS software, etc.

The new account takes up very little space and you can just delete it when you're done with it...

7. lilmo2100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay did it. Clicked on the finder it's wen about 3 minutes an still hasn't opened a window. Op now it did. But yea it's still extremely slow!

Regards!

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You have either a bad hard drive or a bad drive cable. Do you have a USB enclosure you can put the drive in and boot to that? If it works well in the enclosure but not internally, that tells you it is the drive cable. Fairly common issue.

9. lilmo2100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I do not. Which sucks. I'm going to head over to the apple store an have them check it out again. They said they didn't think it was the drive when I went Sunday. But still unsure as to think what it is. If they say it is I'd rather not get it from them. Can you point me at a hard drive for this computer and drive cable I can install them no problem. Just not sure as to what type.

On top of that apple wanted to charge me last time $160 for a new drive before they ruled out it wasn't the drive itself.

Regards!

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This drive will do the trick for $47. It is just a standard 2.5" laptop drive you can pickup at any store like Best Buy or whatever.

You can get the cable from ifixit.com .

11. lilmo2100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmmm....Also noticed something kind of weird right now too. Since I've been having problems with my computer, it seems that either the drive or the fan stays on when the lid is closed and is SUPPOSE to go to sleep, with the feature set for it to "put the hard disk to sleep". Also noticed another thing, before making the new account, I started up my computer and it should've prompted me to enter my password to log it. It just went straight to the desk top of the computer.

Sounding more like the cable issue?

Regards!

----------

Thank you for the links! I think I'll get the 1TB if it is a bad hard drive and the cable isn't that bad of a price on that website you sent either. Thanks for the links again!

Regards!

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hard to say. A bad cable and a bad drive have exactly the same symptoms, so the only way to tell for sure is test the drive from an external enclosure.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

But OP would also need to keep in mind that speeds may be slower still since it is going across USB.

14. drnebulous macrumors regular

drnebulous

Those apple diagnostics are useless and so are the pie cans that work there. I took mine in as it had a nearly dead hard drive (making clicking and crunching noises, as well as running as slow as hell) and they said there was nothing wrong with it. Anyway, I had to sort of intimidate him to get it replaced. It was also over heating and they said that they would change the fan, which they didn't. The fools should of re-thermal pasted it!

I really do think that it's your hard drive.

15. lilmo2100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Come to find out it was the hard drive. THIS time, they ran a test which tested to see if it was the hard drive. Some "special diagnostic software" they said it was. But it did prove that it is the drive and not the cable. So I will be ordering a drive here soon. Thanks everyone for the help! :)

Regards!

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

This is a great opportunity to order a new SSD. I highly recommend the Samsung 840 Evo and Pro.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah but $67 vs. $443... OP sounded like cost is an issue here.

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Depends on what size is actually needed.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

He has 750GB now and said he was going to replace that with a 1TB.

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Could just be that he just wanted to upgrade since it isn't much more dough. It is a good opportunity but any good 7200 RPM drive will also offer a decent upgrade especially for the OP's workflow.

21. lilmo2100 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did just want to get a bigger drive. I mean if I'm going to be spending the money, might as well upgrade it right? So I did a 1TB Hitachi vs the original 750GB.

This One

drnebulous: I just saw that yesterday didn't know that you could run a second HD in replace of the super drive. I think I may do that here in a few months and do a SDD drive. I wonder if the Black2 would work as a second drive.

Regards!

22. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

No. That drive is a hybrid drive which means the hard drive and SSD are contained in one unit. You can get one of those and mount it in the current hard drive bay and keep the SuperDrive. You get most of the speed an SSD offers and the capacity of a hard drive.

23. lilmo2100 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I got that down the line, could I use that as the main drive, and the 1tb I just ordered as a back up? I mean I literally NEVER use the super drive, and I have a plug in drive that a friend had from a macbook air. But sold it cause "it wasn't good". He was using it for rendering video game graphics.

Regards!

24. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. You could put the operating system, data, and software on the hybrid drive and then use the 1 TB as a backup in the SuperDrive bay, enclosure, or your router. It is not a good idea to have that be your only backup though because if the machine gets destroyed or lost then your backup goes with the machine defeating the purpose.