MBP scratches

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmlred, Jul 24, 2010.

1. rmlred macrumors regular

First off I don't even know how the scratches got there considering the only place I use my MBP is laying in bed and in the car and I avoid things that could possible scratch it.
    Could you guys tell me what I can do about them and how it effects the resell value?
    I also keep it in a Speck hard shell case 70% of the time.
    The scratches are on the bottom and on the faceplate where the IR and power indicator is located.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There's not really much you can do about them, short of replacing the casing.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I think hard cases cause scratches by trapping dirt and scratching the computer.

4. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Forget the scratches and resell value and enjoy your MBP. These are really minor things and they will get in the way of you enjoying the machine. Use it until you can't anymore and upgrade.

5. rmlred thread starter macrumors regular

I'm just concerned because its only 3 months old.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Don't worry. Remember, it's just computer. :)
    Theres no need to get so concerned on a materialistic object. Just enjoy it. Remember, the computer is for you, not the person who will buy it in X amount of years from now. ;)

7. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

My suggestion, if you want it protected and you have a hardshell on %70 of the time, why not just keep it on %100 of the time?

8. Pillar macrumors 6502

Pillar

that's word

relax and enjoy

9. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

yeah why would you keep it on only 70% of the time?

10. brucem91 macrumors 6502

I say don't worry about it. I have plenty of scratches on the bottom of my MBP, and I don't care. Not because my MBP means little to me, but because things happen. Besides, who cares if they are on the bottom. Who actually often looks at the bottom of a MBP? I probably glance at it when I pull it out of my back and onto desk, but that is about it. I can pretty much tell you that scratches on the bottom will not effect resell value at all. If that is the only problem at the time of resell, then it should be considered a very nice buy on a machine.

11. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

OP. i'm pretty sure those scratches are hard to see when you using the laptop.. you know. because your looking at the screen.

12. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Yeah I know what you mean but that is life. Stuff gets old and get in a bad condition but a computers job is to compute not look good. My friend at work mac's is nearly dead but he refuses upgrade. He has dropped it and scratched but he says it is just ghetto and shows how string MBPs are.

13. budman1961 macrumors regular

If you are that concerned, Zagg Invisible Shield.....

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Don't worry about it. The metal that Apple uses is deliberately easy to scratch and dent. I have a Dell with an aluminum casing, and after throwing it around as if I didn't care about it (which I don't, it only cost me $450), there aren't any scratches on it. this is something Apple does to make people OCD and replace them before the hardware fails.

15. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

If you're that bothered you can pay apple to replace the base plate of your Mac. They do it quite cheap. I guess it's because they recycle the old base plate aluminium.

Something like $20 for them to do it.

Top case (where the ir is) would cost a heck of a lot more. Because when they replace that they replace the keyboard trackpad speakers etc along with it.