MBP scratches

rmlred

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Rockwell, NC
First off I don't even know how the scratches got there considering the only place I use my MBP is laying in bed and in the car and I avoid things that could possible scratch it.
Could you guys tell me what I can do about them and how it effects the resell value?
I also keep it in a Speck hard shell case 70% of the time.
The scratches are on the bottom and on the faceplate where the IR and power indicator is located.

MikeinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Tokyo
Forget the scratches and resell value and enjoy your MBP. These are really minor things and they will get in the way of you enjoying the machine. Use it until you can't anymore and upgrade.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I'm just concerned because its only 3 months old.
Don't worry. Remember, it's just computer. :)
Theres no need to get so concerned on a materialistic object. Just enjoy it. Remember, the computer is for you, not the person who will buy it in X amount of years from now. ;)

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
My suggestion, if you want it protected and you have a hardshell on %70 of the time, why not just keep it on %100 of the time?

Pillar

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2010
CA.
Don't worry. Remember, it's just computer. :)
Theres no need to get so concerned on a materialistic object. Just enjoy it. Remember, the computer is for you, not the person who will buy it in X amount of years from now. ;)
that's word

relax and enjoy

brucem91

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2009
I say don't worry about it. I have plenty of scratches on the bottom of my MBP, and I don't care. Not because my MBP means little to me, but because things happen. Besides, who cares if they are on the bottom. Who actually often looks at the bottom of a MBP? I probably glance at it when I pull it out of my back and onto desk, but that is about it. I can pretty much tell you that scratches on the bottom will not effect resell value at all. If that is the only problem at the time of resell, then it should be considered a very nice buy on a machine.

MikeinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Tokyo
I'm just concerned because its only 3 months old.
Yeah I know what you mean but that is life. Stuff gets old and get in a bad condition but a computers job is to compute not look good. My friend at work mac's is nearly dead but he refuses upgrade. He has dropped it and scratched but he says it is just ghetto and shows how string MBPs are.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Don't worry about it. The metal that Apple uses is deliberately easy to scratch and dent. I have a Dell with an aluminum casing, and after throwing it around as if I didn't care about it (which I don't, it only cost me $450), there aren't any scratches on it. this is something Apple does to make people OCD and replace them before the hardware fails.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
If you're that bothered you can pay apple to replace the base plate of your Mac. They do it quite cheap. I guess it's because they recycle the old base plate aluminium.

Something like $20 for them to do it.

Top case (where the ir is) would cost a heck of a lot more. Because when they replace that they replace the keyboard trackpad speakers etc along with it.