MBP -screen and HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sugarray3000, Aug 17, 2009.

1. sugarray3000 macrumors member

Hey. im just about to order a MBP but i got 3 questions for you ppl. i hope you will answer!

1) The MBP 15" is now avabile with matt screen, do you think i should choose that instead of the glossy? and why?

2) Do you think i should choose HDD 7200 (320 GB)
    OR
    HDD 5400 (500 GB) ??
    and why?

3) Does the 7200 (320 GB) make a lot of noise and gets warm?

Hope to hear from you

Sugarray

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

All of my PB/MBPs have been matte, up to my current UB MBP 17" glossy. I seldom notice reflections, and the extra apparent sharpness helps text readability. I've gotten used to it and I think I'd have a hard time switching back now - something I never would have thought would happen.

As for 7200 RPM: The drive I'm running at the moment has zero vibration, and is almost completely silent (very slight "air movement" like sound). No heat problems, either. It's a 320GB WD Scorpio Black.

I'm not sure which manufacturer Apple choses when doing a custom order. I obviously upgraded after purchase.

3. sugarray3000 thread starter macrumors member

Hey, thank for your quick answer. I see your 7200 RMP HDD runs pretty good, dont you think there will be NO problems with noise, heat or vibration when its done by Apple themself?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

There's always the chance it'll be a drive that's "less than perfect". They have a KB article about hard drive sounds, as there are certain sounds which are normal. However, I think if you're dissatisfied with a new machine, Apple will try to accommodate you.

One of my WD drives (I have two - the one in my UB MBP and one in an external FW800 case) had a very slight vibration and WD did a warranty exchange no questions asked. I had a new unit in about a week (with their "pre-exchange" program, where you give them a credit card to cover the new drive in case you don't return the defective unit).

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think the vast majority of 7200 RPM drives shipped are fine and Apple's customer service is usually very responsive to the customer's needs.