MBP -- Speaker Blowout (is it covered under AppleCare?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ziggyonice, Apr 9, 2009.

1. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I think my speakers have been blown out! :(

I downloaded an audio file and opened it up in QuickTime to preview it. Maybe the file was corrupted or something, I don't know. But I had my headphones in, turned up to about half volume, and a noise that sounded like a train, louder than I've ever had play, sounded... I actually yelled it was so loud, as I yanked my headphones out of the computer as quickly as I could. I'm thankful I'm not deaf...

The problem was that the noise shot through my internal speakers when I yanked the headphones out. Now, each time I play a song, it sounds very garbled and has static on louder sections, not to mention that the volume won't go very high. Will AppleCare cover this?

Thanks.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yes if you purchased AppleCare 3 year warranty.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

seconded.
    inb4 "dishonest"

Just go tell them it happened by itself one day. ;)

5. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

Yep.

And more yep.

Just tell them this "I turned the laptop on one day to use it, and [insert description of what it sounds like] no matter what I do."

Try to act a bit distressed and confused and you win. ;)

It's not being dishonest, it's just making sure you get what you paid for.

6. ZunePod macrumors regular

+1

I nearly deafened myself when I played some music through my Sennheisers, my dad could hear it outside it was so loud. Thankfully, I didn't blow my speakers.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I wouldn't call it dishonest; if the speakers can't handle a specific volume, it should be allowed to dial to said volume.

If anything, I'd call it a design issue.

8. Hydroxs macrumors regular

Or it could have been that the file volume have been peak normalise

9. Tosser macrumors 68030

Even at -0db (you can't go over, remember) it shouldn't blow out.

10. ziggyonice thread starter macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Okay, so question here:

After this blowout happened, I started fiddling around with it. After I re-connected my headphones to the computer, and pulled them back out, the speakers sound as though they've gone back to normal.

Is this possible? Or could they still be damaged?

11. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

Well you have as long as your warranty is good for. So just use it as normal, and if things start acting up, take it to Apple.

Hope all is well with it!

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

yep. Covered, no not called dishonest. Speakers should handle it but they gave way meaning they were deffective

13. goMac macrumors 603

Just tell them what happened.

If the computer let the sound come out that loud, it's Apple's fault.

14. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Blown speakers are almost never covered by any companies' warranty, the reason being is that they rarely happen due to manufacturing defects. It's almost always an accident or abuse. Even if the amp is limited/too weak so that it can't rip or bottom out the driver doesn't mean it can't still potentially roast the voice coil(in fact, overdriving the amp makes this worse, since a clipped wave doesn't taper off immediately like a sine wave would). You can try to get it repaired, or maybe try it yourself (the speaker is a separate part, IIRC), but don't get your hopes up.

15. Tosser macrumors 68030

You seem to forget that this an Apple design. Apple designed the whole thing: Amp, speaker, AND they put them together and adjusted them.
    This isn't some speakers you bought as stand-alones, matching them to our favourite poweramp. This isn't even some active speakers you bought and decided to test them at their outmost.
    These are laptop speakers, playing an audio file present on the computer itself, and not fed through the line-in. So it should be covered.

Thankfully, it's back to normal for him, which brings me to this:
    On my phone (i780), the ring-volume was too low for certain tones and situtations. I found out it was easily fixable, by writing a code, opening up the audio firmware. It turned out the D/A-converter were giving a signal of -18db or some such. I upped that by 6db, in effect doubling the volume. Now, if I fiddled with something else and blew the speaker, well, then it would have been my fault, of course. But the OP didn't. Looks like it went wrong al by itself, and that, Ninja, is a manufactur's defect, not the consumer's fault.

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It sounds like it was just distorted before due to software. I've had speakers do that before and never again.

Besides Apple won't fix it if they can't reproduce it.

17. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

too right :)
    good luck with the fix anyway!

18. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Yep! :) another reason to buy :apple: :D

19. Tosser macrumors 68030

ANY and EVERY laptop is built that way – I know of no laptop where you choose and install the amp and speakers and/or write your own firmware for it. How on earth did you figure I was being pro Apple?

As a matter of fact, I have moved on – I was hoping to receive my new non-Apple before easter, but alas, DHL sucks.
    "Another reason to buy " :rolleyes: