MBP Spec ok for gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Joyus, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Joyus macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I am buying a MBP in the next few weeks, before i go back to uni and im fed up of most things windows. I am looking at getting the following spec:

15-inch: 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB Memory
    500GB hard drive
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB

I like to play games like COD (also online) and i was looking at getting SimCity and Spore also. Will the above spec be able to handle those games? Or should i upgrade the Chip and/or the RAM?

I know i can use bootcamp, but i'd rather just stick to Mac :apple: when i get it.

I did search, but i couldnt find anything as sepcific, so i apologise if i have repeated a thread.

2. StefSSU macrumors regular

I got a config similar to this, and I find that the 9600 (256 mb) suits my needs for gaming, although Im not a hard core gamer, i was very impressed with its gaming abilities in games such as crysis and cod 4, so If you're looking to play sim city and spore I reckon you'll be fine. Just so you know, in cod 4 under boot camp, you can expect to run everything on high in native res without much aa and get good framerates.

3. PkennethV macrumors 6502a

You'll be fine. COD4's probably the most demanding of the games you mentioned and I can still play it fine on medium/high-ish settings on my 2 and half year old MBP.

4. aar2697 macrumors member

My iMac runs those games fine so why not?

Welcome to the Mac world!

Mac: Nothing beats making quality computers for good people with discriminating tastes.
    PC: Quality computers?
    Mac: Uh-Huh!
    PC: Good People?
    Mac: Yep!
    PC: Discriminating tastes?
    Mac: Testify!
    PC: Doh'! (breathes angrily, then runs up to a mac user then takes a MacBook) Only pathetic losers with horrible taste would use this garbage! (PC takes away a MacBook, then customer cries. Mac comes and rocks the Mac user like baby)

Sorry but who doesn't love Spongebob?

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'm satisfied with my MBP's performance for gaming, most of it via BootCamp/Windows.