MBP stolen! What to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fs454, Jul 9, 2008.

1. fs454 macrumors 65816

Alright, fourth of july weekend I DJed a couple parties (friends' family) and after the second one I was packing up, and I remember slinging my macbook over my shoulder and carrying the speakers to my car. That's the last thing I remember of having it. Could have sworn I packed it. Always lock my car. I realized when I was unpacking that it wasn't there, retraced ALL steps, looked everywhere. I deemed it stolen.

If I had only paid the $50 for that orbicule undercover thing.

RIP Macbook Pro.
    15" LED backlit
    2.4ghz Santa Rosa C2D
    2GB RAM
    250GB HDD (added it myself!)
    8600M GT 256mb
    </3

So, I know I'm not really getting it back. I loved that thing. Filed police report, etc, but that's really all I can do.

Now...I need a macbook. I use it for everything. While I have a mac pro at home, I still need the Macbook as I'm out a LOT. I can't really afford it at the moment as I JUST bought myself a car (Black Audi A3 2.0T, Magnaflow exhaust, REVO performance chip, H&R springs, 265hp, 300lb-ft. It's my baby.) that cost quite a bit. I figure I have a few ways to work up the money needed, but what would you do in my position? I honestly won't do anything less than a Macbook Pro. I do heavy Final Cut Studio work as well as wedding protography. I love the LED backlit screen and real estate and would be fine with a Macbook if the screens didn't suck(IMO) in comparison.

So, what would you do in my situation? My options are basically:

1. Refurb/clearance 15" Macbook Pro of similar/identical specs to the one I had - Cheapest route

2. New $1999 Macbook Pro with college discount/free iPod Touch!

3. How far off are the new MBPs? I could possibly wait for those.

I really would love to wait till the new ones arrive but I don't know if I can wait too long. Any input appreciated. I can't believe I'm Macbook-less.'

PS. Although I have no anti-theft, I have a password, and a firmware lock password so they can't do crap with it if they wanted, XD

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

If this is a business, do you have insurance for your equipment? Maybe that would cover a replacement.

3. fs454 thread starter macrumors 65816

No business, it's all freelance work.

I'm gonna try to see if I can legitimately get something from my insurance, but I'm not sure we specifically covered this macbook.

Back when I had a Sager, we registered it under homeowner's and they gave me full value for it when i accidentally dropped it out of warranty and caps fell off the mobo. We didn't register this :/

4. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I heard of this one lady some how remotely accessing her macbook pro through i photo or something, and remotely taking a picture of the culprit and leading to his arrest. This was in the most recent edition of Macworld magazine. It had something to do with networking your computer, and turning on file sharing etc. Also, even without the picture thing, if you were to access the computer remotely, maybe you can catch the person using the email and trying to pin down who/where he is?

5. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Check the refurbs. I think you may find them less expensive than the educational discount. I just helped my nephew get his first Mac and this was the case. At least for a 20" iMac ALU.

6. Eric. macrumors regular

That is Undercover. You have to install it before the theft. ;)

7. fs454 thread starter macrumors 65816

*$(#*$#($*

I had undercover installed, but NOT REGISTERED. I hate myself for that.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9941279-7.html?hhTest=1

9. Mephisto5 macrumors newbie

This is why I'll have LoJack when I get my MB.

A cousin of mine had her and her roomates MBPs stolen from their appartment, though they have no idea how the person got in. Worst of all was that they were provided by her school/employer, who offered no replacement.

While I don't know the specifics, I think lojack can run in the backround unnoticed. That is until you report your laptoop stolen and the Fuzz come knocking at the doors of whomever logs on the internet with it.

10. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

11. iCries macrumors regular

I'd personally wait for the new models, I expect them to start showing up around early august-september.

12. Butzi macrumors newbie

Check your homeowner's "contents" or "renter's" insurance policy, things like this are usually covered. You shouldn't have to specifically cover it if you have the receipts...Also, you still have to pay the deductable... Time for a refurb. Good luck.

13. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

I know you said this is freelance stuff, but have you checked on the cost of a business license and insurance?

PS - The macbook didn't do the obvious, and slide underneath the front seat, did it?

14. Chairman Plow macrumors regular

Chairman Plow

Definitely take a good look at your insurance policy before making any new purchase. And keep that police report handy. You'll need it for the claim.

15. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Man sorry to hear about your mbp. I guess at this point your mbp is long gone and I think if you the mbp performed well maybe you should just get another mbp and the ipod and at least sell the ipod.

16. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

That sucks big time. As soon as I get my pro Im getting a rider policy under our house insurance. I'm also going to rig it with C4 so I can any jack ass that steals it into the middle of next week. Although I suppose I wont be able to fly with it anymore after that point LOL

17. kkanuck macrumors newbie

kkanuck

I think it is called "ialertu"

18. priller macrumors regular

Both of them are easily bypassed so I'd change any passwords you had saved.

19. nyzballa12 macrumors member

I would wait unless you desperately need the notebook.

20. DJAznSensation macrumors member

DJAznSensation

I'm also a DJ and I have a equipment check-list for when I'm going to and packing-up from a gig. I check things off as I put them in the car, and most gigs I got a friend helping me out, so I have more than one set of eyes on my valuable equipment. And in terms of my MacBook Pro... i always have it in my backpack, and when I'm packing up I have it on.

If all you do is use ur laptop to do music tasks, maybe a Black MacBook would be perfect, refurb or new those things are great in terms of mobility and power... that would be even cheaper

:apple: DJ Asian Sensation

21. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

sorry to hear about your lose..it depends on how you have your system setup, and if you have a .mac account, with back to my mac activated...she was able to connect back to her mac and opened photobooth, while the thieves didn't noticed...before they new what was going on it took a pic...I don't recall how she got a copy of the pic...or if it just show up on her side...u just need a .mac account with back to my mac

22. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Whoops!!

Guess it's too late to think about buying some insurance!! And I wonder why people buy AppleCare when mobile computing insurance covers much more!!

Well, I'm sorry for your lost. Guess there's not much you can do!
    Also... 99% of the time, it's the users fault for providing the opportunity
    - perhaps what you should of said "I LOST my MBP" cause no-one actually stole it,
    you simply forgotten to pick it up!

...Hate to give you the sad news...

But anyone with a copy of Mac OSX could probably bypass your user password. And someone with knowledge in computing, together with some software could retrieve and rest your Open Firmware password without much hassle - think of the hardware gone forever!!!

In future, if the hardware is something that you depend on, you should definitely consider purchasing some insurance. It might be a little expansive, but it's well worth it!

23. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

You should probably talk to your home insurance broker anyway, they might be able to help you. Its definitely worth a shot.

Other wise, id ask around at your parties, maybe someone saw something or they could ask people, even if you put up signs.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

24. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

ask for a reward saying "worth more than computer itself" "important files needed" and when they come with your MBP just call the police! ;)

anyways, i am really sorry for you loosing your MBP.. i know this wont help anything but just thought i would say sorry..