MBP temprature

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djarpit, Jul 29, 2009.

1. djarpit macrumors regular

my disk temp is 100 degrees.

is that normal?
    should i be worried?

i was just running parallel xp at the time

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

3. djarpit thread starter macrumors regular

the palm rest is kind of warm tahts why im worried ;(

4. entity macrumors regular

Here's my temps.

HD - 37˚C ~ 99˚F
    CPU - 60˚C ~ 140˚F
    GPU - 55˚C ~ 131˚F

All completely normal.

MBP's can take a lot of heat. Why do you think they call them portable computers and not laptops? :)

5. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

if this is degree's C you should be very worried, harddisks cannot operate at that temperature it will die very quickly.

6. djarpit thread starter macrumors regular

7. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

My MBP gets hot (70-80*C) if I do anything slightly intensive (movie, light photoshoping, etc).

It’s incredibly annoying.

8. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

He can't possibly mean Celsius, thats over 200 degrees F, it would be way too hot to even touch.

9. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

Well, is it 100 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit??

Like uberamd said, if it was 200 degrees Fahrenheit I don't think you'd even be able to touch the aluminum case.

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i have seen notebooks hit 100c easily, i have a macbook air in for service running at 100-104c and it was super hot.

so its not unlikely.

11. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

That will ruin the hard drive and melt your fingers.:eek:

A notebook running over 80 degrees C needs immediate cooldown and service. High temperatures will ruin hard drives, RAM, and can melt the solder around the electronics, causing it to move around and cause breaks and shorts.

12. itisme1760 macrumors 6502

Doing some encoding in Motion / VisualHub, I can easily get my MBP to get up to 110 C.

13. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

That isn't normal. What temperature is your MBP without a heavy load?

14. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Are you serious? I have a Rev A air and the thing hits 180F once in a while (82C), but it has never gotten hotter than that. 32 more degrees to get to 100C, thats a major difference and could easily cause severe discomfort on your hands.

In all of my years owning Mac's and working on computers, I have never seen 100 C before. Ever.

15. cababah macrumors 68000

I hit 99C on my 13" MBP.

16. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i see it all the time

100C as i said is not that uncommon...but very dangerous to electronics...and skin...lol

people get there laptops all jammed up with dust and hair...and wonder why the thing keeps shutting down...of course most customers just keep turning it back on until somthing gives up like the voltage regulators or capacitors burst from the heat.

17. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

18. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

If you don't want to read it, don't open it. Let alone take the time to comment in it. :mad:

My u-MBP was averaging about 52 degrees Celsius while I was using it at work for 8 strait hours a day. Then I went to BestBuy and picked up the Targus Chill Mat for $20. My computer now averages 38 degrees Celsius. Not a bad $20 investment if you ask me.

I highly recommend this to anyone using their Macbook/Macbook Pro on a desk all day.

Cooler found here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Notebo...4LMY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1248904458&sr=8-2

19. cababah macrumors 68000

I really do see why some people get these cooling products but I won't get them just on principle.

I like to think that my laptop was designed to function properly and last a sufficient amount of time without the need of third party equipment. I think they are more for user peace of mind than actually providing any long-term benefit. The only way I would use a cooling pad would be if I actually used the computer on my lap for the majority of the time which I do not.

20. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I have to disagree. I see where you are coming from but I don't see all of the logic behind it. To say that "the laptop was designed to function properly and last a sufficient amount of time without the need of third party equipment" is complete truth. I stand behind that 100%. But how do you define is "sufficient time"?

A lot of people say that laptops like these are only really built to last a couple years. But with the proper use of cooling products, you can easily double the life expectancy of your computer.

The cooler the laptop runs the longer the parts of a laptop will last without seizing/overheating. I know for a fact that the lifespan of the LED bulbs in the new screens are very dependent on the heat they endure. According to a couple articles I read (I will dig them up when I get home), the average LED bulb should last 50,000 hours at a certain ambient temperature. But a 20 degree Fahrenheit increase can dramatically lesson the life of the bulb to 30,000 hours.

I've seen heat from laptops in standard every day use make motherboards, ram, harddrives, processors, fans, screens etc. fail way faster than what most consider "sufficient time".

21. cababah macrumors 68000

I just like to use my stuff without having to baby it and worry about it all the time. If I can get a few years out of it by using it the way it was meant to be used out of the box, I am happy.

22. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Basic limits you should worry about:

GPU: no higher than 85C (nvidia says 105C)
    CPU: no higher than 85C (same material as GPU)
    HD: varies, but good rule to stay below 50-60C (your heads are going to probably fail first)

As you go over these numbers, the life will drop under 10 years. Quick way to calc this:
    85C = >10 years life
    90 = > 5
    95 = > 2.5
    100 = > 1.25
    105C = > 8 months life

Of course models differ in reality depending on their performance curve.

23. cababah macrumors 68000

Source for that data?

24. ljx718 macrumors 6502

thin air.

25. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Restart.