MBP to Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tills24, Nov 2, 2010.

1. tills24 macrumors member

I have a 13 inch 2010 MBP, and got an iPad about a month ago. The iPad makes the need for the portability of the MBP almost redundant, so I have been thinking of selling it and replacing with a Mac Mini.

I'm not sure, though, if I'll miss any power, etc, having the Mini? Any experiences in making the switch? Regrets, etc?

My usage is mainly browsing, Office features, very light photo and video editing (say 2-3 times a year), etc. Not really heavy usage.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The current Mac mini uses all the same components as the 2010 13" MBP, thus there will be no (or really, really minimal, if you choose a slower processor speed) slow downs.

3. TantalizedMind macrumors 6502a

TantalizedMind

Do it. I sold my MBP a year and half ago. Just got the new Mac Mini a few weeks ago. Its great! I am waiting for iPad v2 until I purchase one. I can't wait though. I image it would become very useful.

4. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Make sure you do the math to see if its worth selling your MBP. If you get 900 for your MBP, then you have to spend $700 on a mini, get a keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc and you're right back where you started

5. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Don't do it unless you buy a used mini or you want to connect 2 monitors.

Why pay depreciation twice.

you can use the macbook pro as a desktop at home but still have the option to take it on the road with you if you change your mind or the ipad breaks.

6. philipma1957, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

what macbook pro model a newer one with a 2.4 cpu or with a 2.66 cpu. If you have a new MBP with a 2.66cpu don't discount that you can drop in a ssd and make the machine fly. Even if you have the newer one with a 2.4 cpu a ssd would really speed the machine up.

If you buy a mini a 2010 putting in a ssd is far harder to do then it is in your macbook pro. Also I used to sell upgraded 2009 minis and upgraded 2009 MBP's on ebay. The mini's sold well the MBP's were very hard to sell.

7. tills24 thread starter macrumors member

I have the monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc, already, and store the MBP on a shelf. That's what is making me think to go to the MM, because I'm essentially using the MBP as a desktop.

8. marclondon macrumors regular

I've got a Mac Mini (2009 model) and a 13 inch Macbook Pro (and a growing collection of external hard disks). A perfect combination for me as I need to take heavyweight apps and a keyboard on the move and crucially I need to have a working machine if one fails.

M.