Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I think I'll go for it, just matter of finding a good deal, and this one will be sold

Probably the best option would be to switch to something else at this point. I would pick either Qnap or Synology. Those two made my shortlist back in 2012, when I got my Synology unit. I picked Synology at the time due to better VMware support they had back then. On that metric they are pretty much equal now I think, unless Qnap doesn't support VAAI over NFS like the Synology now does, but I digress.

What you want to do with it will determine the processor and (by extension) the model you get, but if it were me I'd try to stay away from anything with an Arm CPU in it. They tend to be a little leaner in the performance department, which can be a little risky if you want to do things like transcoding. The good thing about Arm is that they use less power, so for something that could very well be powered-on 24/7 in your home, that might be important for you.

Last edited:

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I also suggest you look at something else. The ARM based NASes are not very fast. Get something with an Intel processor and plenty of memory. I have a ReadyNAS unit with a Intel processor and it is fast. I routinely get well over 100 mbps. Using a UPS can also make it faster since the write caching is in memory.

cloudskyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2016
Tamworth, UK
Hello to all of you guys, sorry for not replying but just been away for a while.

As I mentioned before the decision has been made and I'll be changing this god damn thing to something from qnap, but now I need to recover my files as this thing reset itself to factory defaults and erasing partition table of both hdd's.
After sorting this out I am going to go for a middle class qnap nas.

Thanks again for all your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.