MBP Update Will Be Minor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by A Macbook Pro, Feb 1, 2010.

1. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

Reason: Apple never backtrack. This means that once they start selling 7 hour batteries they won't bring it to say 5 for faster CPU. Same goes for GPU, and the Unibody is fine, so I don't see any upgrades, at best I'm guessing we will see some slightly newer graphics cards with better battery efficiency, and a bump up in CPU, but it'll stay at Core 2 Duo. I'll bump this after the presentation to prove I was right.

EDIT: If anything, we might be seeing i5 in the 17''.

2. iBunny macrumors 65816

For 1) no it wont. Apple cant stay competitive espically in the +2000$ range with OLD Core 2 Duo's. Core 2 Duo is a 2007 - 2009 architecture.

For 2) Why make another thread about this? Attention whore. :D

3. Bumble Bee macrumors member

since u seem to know everything when is this minor update coming?

4. bananaboi macrumors member

If the new Sony Vaio Z being released in Feb 13th can pack a core i7 with a nvidia gt330m with 7 hours of battery life on Windows 7, the Macbook Pro should be able to easily meet those marks on OSX

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

But there are faster CPUs which have the same power consumption as the Core 2 duo .... oh wait this CPU is called Arrandale ...

Your post doesn't make sense, sorry.

6. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

1. Oh yes they can. Another price drop will do it. Maybe Apple might hit 8 hours battery, we'll have to see if they incorporate some new nVidia GPU's. In the end, it's Apple, and the Macbook Pro isn't really for Pro's. It's for clueless computer users who like the battery life, the unibody enclosure, and the fact that its a ''pro'' machine.

2. This is my first thread.

7. iWantMyMac macrumors newbie

8. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Clicking on this link was a waste of energy. Let's let this thread die. If you want to speculate about the new macbooks, join the club.

9. eyekyu macrumors member

this is likely apple trying to gauge our responses to keeping the c2d

10. Cali3350 macrumors regular

The Core 2 Duo's are EOL this summer, Apple has to upgrade. Welcome to Intel.

Besides that, Arrandale offers the exact same battery life, just at 20% higher performance. Since Arrandale has on die GPU Apple can easily throw in a beefy video card to cater to the 'top end' market AND keep 7 hour battery life just by having the system toggle the graphics (exactly like they do now).

I hate to say your wrong on every level, but you are :/

11. All Taken macrumors 6502a

I would carry on reading the arrandale thread (Great thread btw) but at present the type of users posting seem no more interested in a macbook pro update than a homosexual is interested in a wife.

It's simply turning into a pointless post thread and this one at present has far more on topic discussion.

12. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Exactly, Apple need to remain within market norms, I wouldn't go as far as competitive as Apple make their own trends. Arrandale is a logical next step.

13. Peter95 macrumors member

I don't think you are right about this....
    If they don't update with the new intel chips now, that means they will not update until the end of this year, putting Apple behind every computer company....
    Many companies are already supporting the new i chips and I am sure Apple would like to stay in the game... They are already a little behind as it is and to come out with this ichip refresh would make most sense....
    You cannot charge these prices for the older c2d Technology while you can get better technology and same performance for almost half the price...

14. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

i like you already ;)
    see: post

15. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

Thanks for sharing. Now leave, as you are not a physic/Steve Jobs and do not know what is going to happen.

King Mook Mook

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Now if you could give me Saturday's lotto numbers with any certainty I'll friend you.

17. florian k. macrumors newbie

florian k.

hey me 2 that's why we have that "waiting for arrandale"thread :D

18. mesq macrumors member

Lol @ Physic... I think you mean psychic.

19. gazzamac macrumors member

He knew you was going to write that....

20. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Oh come on now. You know when it's coming. All updates always come "tomorrow." Don't they? :)

21. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I'll bump this thread when I'm right.

Intel won't continue support the old chips. Vendors will HAVE to switch.

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm another who thinks Apple will at least update the CPU on the MBP. There may be no other upgrades at all -- but the CPU is the bare minimum upgrade they can get away with before respected technology writers begin to heavily criticize them -- and start suggesting alternative laptops to their readers.

We'll see. Maybe Apple will exceed expectations and dazzle us with some cool, unique new functionality. If not, and they go with their standard CPU upgrade I might be looking at other, much cheaper quality laptops with more modern features than the MBP currently has. I see no reason to pay $1000 more for less.

23. quadG5guy macrumors member

No, it's worse than that. It's a 2006 - 2009 architecture. My 2006 MBP is a Core 2 Duo. 2.33 Ghz. It gets a GeekBench score that is 84% of the current model unibody. It's disgraceful that more than 3 years have passed since I bought my MBP and there simply isn't anything better worth upgrading to. :mad:

I'm hoping this next revision has Core i5, ATI graphics (screw nvidia and their crappy failing parts), and supports 8 GB of ram.

24. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

I have the exact same specs in my 2006 MBP, and I was thinking the exact same thing.

25. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

WRONG! Apple's next MBP revision will include a touchscreen!

Habitus :apple: