MBP vs MPA -- For Wife

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jtalerico, Aug 15, 2011.

1. jtalerico macrumors 6502

My wife currently has a 08-09 MBP 17". It has been a great machine, but I think the 17" is going to be a bear to carry around (which she will be doing more often for the next year).

I am between the 13" MBA or the 15" MBP. The biggest concern I have with the MBA, is the speed of the processor to run Parallels, browser, mail, etc. While I think the 15" is going to be a bit overkill for what she is going to use it for.

Anyone have suggestion?

I would be looking at this for the MBA http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook...HZP4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313429856&sr=8-2

OR

This for the MBP http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MacBook...p?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1313417492&sr=1-2

Thanks!

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Search is your friend.

If you don't mind replacing the Air in a year or two, especially if she's running Parallels, go for it. Otherwise, get a MBP. Why not the 13" MBP?

3. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

Search is my friend... I already have used it... Reason for the 13" is because I used search to find out the performance of the 13" MBP vs 13"MBA is marginal.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Wrong in the real world--and a 13" Air that approaches the base 13" is $1699 with the ULV 1.8 GHz i7. Compare that to $999 for a base MBP.

And if you have searched, you saw that the Air requires a huge price premium to give up a lot of capability and upgradeablity--in exchange for which it is a bit lighter and thinner.

But it's your money--do what you want. Just be ready to replace the Air in a year or two when 4 GB of RAM doesn't cut it when running Parallels and Lion, which chokes on 4 GB as it is.

5. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree there is something to be said for the upgradeability of the MBP...

Sounds like you are not in favor of the MBA, appreciate the insight.

6. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

My wife has a 2011 13 MBP, I have 2010 13 MBA. I'm the IT professional in the family, my wife mostly blogs, fbs, tweets and does iphoto. Occasionally she will use the CDR when she finds a muzak cd stuffed away in a dark corner and she wants to rip. Her major complaint about the MBP is WEIGHT!
    My Air has no issue at all with running 2 VMs in VMWare fusion. In a pinch, it does a decent job at compressing video when I need it. Havent had the need to use a cd/dvd yet, usually just mount as a dmg off my file storage.
    Bottom line, the Air is a great machine for doing most of the things that the Pro does. Only the most proc intensive tasks will show the difference between the machines.
    Displays are different too. MBP has the more clear, crisp display, but its 1280 (ugh). My Air is 1440, and I consider it just one step below the Pro, without all the glare of the glass.
    I would think the Air would be a perfect "chick" machine. My wife eyes mine greedily all the time. They are very light. To each his own.

7. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I don't understand how people consider the 13" Macbook Pro heavy. It's approximately 1.5lbs heavier than the 13" Macbook Air.

But hey, if that 1.5lbs really makes a night and day difference for your fragile arms, then go for it.

8. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL Fragile? My wife is a kick box instructor... Pretty sure she could take most of the hipsters that browse this forum ;).

Exactly the feedback I am looking for! Still in decision mode... Maybe I will write some C Code, install XCode on a MBP and MBA in the apple store then compare!

9. iExpensive macrumors 6502

iExpensive

I think you answered the question yourself. Could it be that you are adding in your wants and needs instead of the wife's? :p

10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Get the 13 inch Pro. Aside from the extreme need of having the computer be that small, the Pro is better in all regards. It's very thin as well; when closed it's the width of my index finger.

People get caught up in the size of the Air (which is very small) but overall, the Pro seems to be the better option when you're going to keep the machine for a few years.

11. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

The best place to start would probably be to ASK YOUR WIFE WHAT SHE WANTS!!!!!!!!!!! I hate these threads about what should I buy my wife/mother. I bought my own computer, thank you very much! If my husband ever thought he could make a decision like which computer I wanted himself, I would probably smack him upside the head!

12. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Well then the 13" MBP should not be a problem.

13. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL.. My MBP Does the job.. Just want to make sure she is taken care of!

Thanks!

LOL, Birthday Surprise! If she knew I was getting her a laptop, she would blow a gasket!

No doubt!

14. Young Spade macrumors 68020

If she's getting it as a present, you definitely can't ask her lol.

But yea, if you're going 13 inch, I would highly suggest the MBP. The Air is a great computer. Fast, snappy, light, portable.

I don't know how long you intend on keeping the computer, hence my recommendation for the MBP. At a max of 4 gigs of RAM, the computer is great for people right now, however, it isn't up gradable and RAM is constantly going up while the price is dropping.

If she got the Pro now, down the road she could upgrade the hard drive and/or the ram to increase longevity of the machine. If it gets to the point (and I'm sure it will 2-3 years from now) where 4 gigs is the baseline and all of Apple's computers (or the next major OS) requires 4 gigs of RAM, you'll be at the bottom of the pack and you'll have to resort to upgrading the entire machine if it can't handle what you're doing.

Meh, if you could, try just hanging out together one day and just so happening to walk into an Apple store and see what she plays with. Of course you'd have to make it seem like a spur of the moment thing and you're just checking to see what's new, or something, but I'm sure that would give you an idea.

Either machine will be great and she'll love either one.

Hope you guys have a good birthday together!

15. Minhthien macrumors 6502

I think your wife would love the MBA even the 11 inch would be great! She is currently using the 17' so if you want something more powerful then get her the 15' mbp! What does she use her laptop for? Video editing, photo?

16. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Wait wait wait... Why does she need a macbook in the kitchen?

17. Goten macrumors newbie

Why else is a woman in the kitchen? It'll make them more productive at what they do best!

18. Young Spade macrumors 68020

*shakes head*

That's a damn shame.

19. Skream macrumors member

Not really sure if she needs parallels but it seems like an iPad is more than adequate for her needs. She'll have the 17" MBP for all her real computing needs plus the iPad for when she needs portability. Plus she'll only blow half a gasket because it's half the price.

20. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

21. Skream macrumors member

22. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Ya'll are just wrong! If it were me, I would not appreciate getting something as important as a computer for a gift. Maybe I'm weird, but I want to pick out my own computing equipment. Of course, there is the fact that I know WAY more about computers than my husband so if he ever even attempted to get me a computer he would get a swift kick in the ass. I know what I want, I want to pick it out. Of course, he's also the one that would complain about it being too expensive. LOL! You can't spend enough on electronic gadgets!

As for the kitchen comments, I don't have an iPad but I do use my rooted Nook Color in the kitchen. Having recipe books from the Nook Book store is just the beginning. On the rooted table, I can get all kinds of apps that have recipes and even videos that show how to do things that I didn't know how to do. Of course, the more time I spend in the kitchen the less time I have to play with my computers so most of my cooking involves the microwave or take-out. It ain't the 1950's any more, boys!

23. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol, don't be upset I'm sure they're just joking.

I haven't really met anyone that thought like that in real life.

24. palpatine macrumors 68040

i wouldn't get my partner a computer. it's too personal, sort of like buying a car, and something that really needs to be discussed. an ipad? maybe. an ipod? maybe. but, definitely not a computer.

25. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Depends how tech savvy she is. In my experience, less tech savvy people wouldnt care if you bought them a computer because they dont even know what they want in the first place. People who know computers better are more picky because they know what they can get and should have gotten.