MBP W/ M370X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fate0311, Feb 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fate0311 macrumors 6502

    Dec 31, 2015
    Hearing a lot of negative feedback about the latest 15" MBP. I have a fully maxed out 15" with the m370x and would like to ask my fellow board members if I should be selling this....
  2. xb2003 macrumors 6502


    Jan 18, 2016
    What kind of negative feedback have you been hearing?

    I would imagine that once other members chime in, they will tell you that you should wait until the new one comes out.
  3. McBeresford macrumors 6502


    May 31, 2005
    As an owner of the same machine I'm going to be holding out for the inevitable EFI update that Apple will generate.
  4. Dgrohl macrumors member


    Jan 15, 2016
    What kind of problems did you hear? Despite that throttling on Windows if you're a gamer...
  5. sentential macrumors regular

    May 27, 2015
    I'm mid process of forcing a buyback on mine; I've annoyed enough people to have essentially a direct line to the highest level reps within AppleCare and mine is either getting fixed or I have received assurances that I'll be first in line for a full replacement to the updated Skylake model

    That said I've submitted a bunch to the apple engineers and so I'm hopeful I'll get it working. My advice is to either take a page out of my book or live with it.

    Whatever issues you're having make sure it's documented to your favor
  6. Dgrohl, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016

    Dgrohl macrumors member


    Jan 15, 2016
    I Misread it. Edited.

  7. fate0311 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Dec 31, 2015
    From what I have read on here, there are allegedly (key word) customers who have had the m370x fail. In addition I see numerous throttling allegations.

    I have noticed my MBP ever so slightly flicker black on certain parts of the screen when changing windows. Does not happen always, and I'm not sure if it's an OS X firmware issue or what. It has not gotten bad enough for me to really start digging in with apple. I hope it is nothing, because I don't have a fraction of the free time sentential seems to have.
  8. mjs402 macrumors 6502

    Oct 24, 2013
    Read it again. Your response is a bit unwarranted. The individual is having problems with this model of computer which is exactly what the thread is about. Don't be rude.
  9. astr627 macrumors newbie

    Jul 7, 2010
    Same here. I literally saw the flickering when the MBP switching from Iris to M370x. Also there are random artifact patches or teared mice pointer.
  10. Dgrohl macrumors member


    Jan 15, 2016
    There is someone who hasn't notice those problems?
  11. sentential, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2016

    sentential macrumors regular

    May 27, 2015
    Lol surprisingly I haven't spent a great deal of time working on it. We often go to lunch on Slide and that's where the Simplymac is so I beat on it during the day and casually glance over it at work and bring it by on lunch. Ive maybe spent a couple hours for the whole thing.

    For those interested in my saga here is what has occurred so far:

    • Blew 2 logic boards, unclear if it was a software bug or if I blew it up, all I know is it stopped on 10.11.3 after submitting a half dozen screen captures to Apple and was told they had investigated my issue and fixed it
    • Third Logic Board overheated to the point where it melted my keyboard looping 3dmark/blade&soul for about 12 hours which resulted in a full replacement of all components other than the display
    • Fourth Logic board throttles *any* 3d application when used with an external display (waiting on comment from apple)
    • Was assured if throttling cannot be fixed I'll be first in line for a Skylake replacement
    • Purchased 5/2015 @ Bestbuy using the 20% cash back via Discover
  12. dingobiatch macrumors member

    Jan 29, 2009
    Throttling problems galore. I did figure out you can disable PowerPlay, and the laptop seems to run fine + temperatures are fine (it seems PowerPlay is functioning incorrectly and that it's not actually a temperature issue). But I shouldn't have to do that.
  13. fate0311 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Dec 31, 2015
    No one has really answered my question. Sell it? I would rather purchase a base 15" without the dGPU if all these problems are real.
  14. alphadog808 macrumors member

    Dec 16, 2015
    I would advise you get rid of it to be on the safe side. But thats just me
  15. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502


    Jan 12, 2013
    Just as an fyi....I have had a fully maxed out 2015 15"rmb with dGPU since December 2015. First week I had it, I had 3 kernal panics. Apple Care via phone had me do a safe boot and then restart normally. I had no faith that would do any good and was sure before another week went by, it was going to be returned. But since then, I have had no problems with it. I use it every day with photo editing software.
  16. sentential macrumors regular

    May 27, 2015
    Might want to double check that, I've done the same and disabled ULPS and it doesn't work and it's especially bad on external monitors, the internal display seems to be better about it and only goes as low as 725 / 1150 vs 3-400 on an external display

    Personally I would try forcing the issue like I am. Here's my game plan, if by the time the updated macbook arrives it is not fixed I am going to get a massive upgrade to something that won't be as problematic. I would recommend the same. If your applecare is about to expire call, say you're a student and get apple care for the $250 I paid and hold out for a full replacement like I am.
  17. Dgrohl macrumors member


    Jan 15, 2016
    So, if you got AppleCare you can ask for a new model replacement if your laptop dies?
  18. sentential macrumors regular

    May 27, 2015
    Correct, I was told specifically by a senior level customer care rep that if the issues are deemed "unrepairable" by a "reasonable" amount of repair attempts I am entitled to either a refund or a full replacement which includes to a new revised model free of the defects in question.

    For example if I had a 2011 and purchased apple care and if by year 2.5 this started happening I would be entitled to a full replacement to model I purchased last year
  19. ceparker27 macrumors member


    Sep 21, 2015
    I must not be using my rMBP hard enough compared to the rest of you. I have never had a kernel panic nor any issues with my 15" w/ M370X. Biggest complaint is that my computer gets pretty warm when charging and running RCT3 on Windows 10 through Boot Camp. But I never had any issues with the different engineering programs I used.
  20. mechengr, Feb 6, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016

    mechengr macrumors newbie

    Jul 24, 2011
  21. Dgrohl macrumors member


    Jan 15, 2016
    I'd to read more opinions like this since I'm about to buy this model...
  22. friedkimchi macrumors regular


    Aug 13, 2011
    I would not buy the 15 with the dGPU due to its crazy throttling. If I had the choice, I would get the non GPU version with 512 GB. Don't need the dGPU for games or what ever it is good for.

    But we don't know what your use cases of the laptop are.

    Sell it now as the new ones are coming out and the price will drop faster than Donald Trump's hair, if the new rMBP have vastly improved internals and design.
  23. Dgrohl macrumors member


    Jan 15, 2016
    For what I've heard, the throttling is just on Windows, I'll use it for Photo, Video editing, App development, and Game development (Blender, Unity...), so I think that I need the dGPU
  24. cerberusss macrumors 6502a


    Aug 25, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Yep, ever since reading about the 2011 MBP issues with its dGPU, I thought to myself: I'm not going to get that model since I don't need it. And yet I've been recently eyeing an iMac and the FD looked attractive. But as you said; it's more complicated (and like the dGPU, an additional source of heat). So if I'll get the iMac, I'll stick to the SSD-only option. Thanks for the pointer.
    Yep, using a 2013 MBA right now. Fantastic machine. I've got one with 8 gigs and since last month, I got a new project for an iPhone app. Usually the client gives me hardware to work with, but this is a startup ("bring your own device"). I thought the MBA wouldn't be able to comfortably compile and run their Swift code. But no, it's actually fine!
  25. Ovedius, Feb 7, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2016

    Ovedius macrumors 6502


    Aug 2, 2012
    That GPU throttles both in Windows and OS X.
    Anyone telling you otherwise is lying through their face. Either through ignorance or pig headed denial.
    -and boy are there a lot of Apple apologists around here, you can practically hear them crawling through the woodwork whenever there's a genuine fault with an Apple product.

    I owned that rotten stinker of a computer and I can bloody attest to just how god awful it is.

    You want to see throttling in Windows, download GPU-Z and run anything even remotely demanding and you will see the GPU throttle almost instantly.

    You want to see it in OS X, download Unigine Heaven and try running it at anything other that bare minimum.
    You will clearly see the effects of heavy throttling.

    Anyone denying the excessive throttling of the M370X is full of *****.
    If you want a powerful and stable computer, don't buy a Pro with the M370X.
    And there really is nothing more to say about it. End of story.

    Do not believe those who post an "easy fix" to the throttling.
    There is none.
    Also, you might end up screwing your warranty to high heaven.
    Trust me, I've tried, I desperately wanted it to work, it doesn't.
    Once it gets hot, it WILL throttle.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page