MBP why no 320gb option

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ^squirrel^, Apr 8, 2008.

1. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Hi all,

Just wanted to know your opinions why Apple dont offer an option of a 320gb 5400rpm drive?

Why on earth do they offer a 300gb drive @ 4200rpm? Who these days are still using 4200rpm in so called latest technology!!!! Bit of an unusual option IMO.

2. billmister macrumors 6502

i have to agree. I purchased my MBP with the 250gig internal HD... But then even though i only use up around 40 gig, i like to have extra... So i went to OWC and got myself a 320 gig. Now i'm happy.

My fiance just got her 2.4ghz, 2ram, white macbook and i installed my 250gig into her laptop so now she has same specs as the blackbook without paying the extra 200.

I think in the Macbook Pro's they should def. add a 320 option and 7200 would be AWSOME!!!

3. pogmothoin macrumors newbie

hi there. what brand was the installed 250 gig drive?? cheers

4. Gordy macrumors 6502a

I've just ordered a new mbp with the 250gb option. I would have got a 320gb one if offered, but I'm really waiting for the new 500gb ones from samsung to get released.

5. motoxpress macrumors 6502

I am curious as to how so many install the new HDs without voiding their warranties?

-mx

6. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Be careful not to hurt anything and it's pretty easy to do from what people told me. I removed my ram, examined it and put it back. Just because it felt good. I bet hard drive is there somewhere

Also, I recommend this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aaMdBMOvFI&feature=related

7. motoxpress macrumors 6502

Well, the ram is a customer-serviceable item. Fully opening up the laptop enclosure isn't. I guess if nothing goes wrong then there is no issue.

-mx

8. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Oh ok. But lets say I wanted a hard drive upgrade, can i walk in the apple store and get it done for free or something?

9. motoxpress macrumors 6502

You take it to an Apple Authorized repair center and they do it for $50-90.

-mx

10. Lyshen macrumors 6502

The 250GB drive installed on mine is Hitachi brand. But I know that Apple also uses Fujitsu 250GB drives too.

11. Shabbis macrumors regular

My 250GB is a Hitachi.

12. billmister macrumors 6502

Mine As well

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The hard drive is a lot more involved than the RAM. I don't have the money to void my warranty to put a bigger one in, but if I did need a new one I would get a certified tech to do it.

None, they all voided their warranties if they didn't get a certified tech to do it. Even if you do it carefully it voids the warranty, and if you have to send it in for repairs, you have to first take the new drive out and put the old one back in.

See comment above.

This was already answered, but just as a reminder Apple Techs only do part for part repairs on everything. My MBP hard drive crashed on me and I sent it in for repairs. I already installed Leopard on it but when I got my book back it came with Tiger, which was originally on the book when I bought it.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I upgrade, put fresh Kapton tape and no one notices.

15. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

I was helping my boss look for a new laptop last week, and was pretty surprised to see that 320gb HDD's were almost standard on even their sub $1000 notebooks.

16. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Upgrading the hard drive Does Not void your warrantee on your laptop. Any damage you do is obviously down to you to fix, but as long as what you do doesn't harm the system Apple will not and cannot void your warrantee.

17. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

I am no legal expert, but I tend to agree with Gordy.

I also do not know if the Magnuson-Moss Act in the U. S. applies to consumer goods outside the automotive industry, but it specifically states that adding or replacing OEM equipment [on an automobile] in and of itself does not and can not void the auto manufacturer's warranty. If you do end up experiencing a problem and take the car into a an authorized service facility, the manufacturer must prove that it was the non-OEM component that was installed on the vehicle that caused the failure, or else they legally must honor the warranty if it has not already expired.

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Apple certainly don't mind in the macbook, but you might have to be a bit firm with them regarding the pro model, even if it is legal. Since you have to open it up.

Theres a new 500gb 5400rpm Samsung on the market shortly which I will order, Hitachi made one but its slightly too big lol? And apparently this samsung is faster than a 200gb 7200rpm, and much quieter.

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

What company, I might pick one up?

Read it for yourself:

And yes, this means that any part you put in your laptop (after opening the case) that may effect the operation of your machine (anything) won't be covered by your warrantee. OR, if Apple suggests that you didn't do the upgrade correctly they can refuse to honor their warranty. Much like the little sticker that is on the screws of portable HDDs that say "Warranty void if removed."

20. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

Doesn't cover acts of God?! Useless!:p

If they did cover the Almighty Smiter, I think they'd be pretty safe... how the heck would someone prove that the problem was caused by god?

To get back on topic, I too was surprised that Apple doesn't offer higher capacity drives. Personally I think Apple should pop 4gigs in there along with 250 standard and 320 & 500 as an option for the next revision. 17" MBP should have two drive bays too. I don't understand what they are doing with the extra space.

21. BoostFab macrumors newbie

i belive they are trying using 4200rpm version because it's quieter and less power utilization than others, but then you are sacrificing data access speed.

22. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Neither am I, but it's nice to see that in the event Windows puts out a better OS than Mac, I can get a pretty sweet machine for $1000.

I agree, and I don't know what Apple is doing exactly, but I can guess that there isn't much more room on the 17" than on the 15". The size of both machines are very similar, and most PC 17" models end up putting both HDDs on top of each other, or directly next to each other. Both methods take up a lot of space when you consider the case of the 17".

Although, as I have been arguing, I hope the redesign changes the case enough to allow for more hardware on the 17" and maybe, just maybe a second drive.

23. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Apple tends to be slower to adopt some of the new tech out there. Give it time and they will start showing up (next release at WWDC, maybe?)

24. Gordy macrumors 6502a

Yes precisely. Its says damaged caused by not the act of upgrading itself. As long as you don't not damage anything your warrantee simply isn't affected.