MBP Won't go to sleep, Control key not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlphaDogg, Nov 13, 2010.

1. AlphaDogg, Nov 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

For some reason, my MBP would not go to sleep when I closed it. So I tried to reset the SMC, only to find out that it would not allow me to reset the SMC. So, I booted into OS X, went into the keyboard viewer, and it is not recognizing when the Control key is being pushed. I need the Control key to reset the SMC, so I don't know what to do...
    ~AlphaDogg

2. AlphaDogg, Nov 14, 2010

AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Update: I just got back from the Apple store, and they are replacing my entire uppercase assembly.

3. alexpja macrumors member

4. AlphaDogg, Nov 14, 2010

AlphaDogg

I know!

5. AlphaDogg, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011

AlphaDogg

6. AlphaDogg, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011

AlphaDogg

7. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Do you need two threads that say the same thing?

8. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You are partially right. I was looking for help on what to do about my repair on one thread, what would happen, and on this thread, it was kind of a OMG WHAT DO I DO NOW???!?!?!?! type thread. Whatever. A moderator may delete my threads or merge them. I don't care.

9. AlphaDogg, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010

AlphaDogg

Update: I have my MBP back. It works and looks perfect. They replaced the topcase, HDD (replaced the original 250gb Seagate with a new 250gb Toshiba), battery, HDD connector cable, some sort of connector, and the internal speakers. This is according to the repair sheet that I got back with my MBP. Can anyone recommend a good keyboard cover to me? I would like to keep the keyboard looking perfect. I am using my old one from my first macbook. The key markings for the function keys aren't the same on the keyboard cover, as they are on the MBP keyboard. That tells you how old it is.

Edit: Just figured out what the "connector" that they replaced is. It is the magsafe board. I can tell, because the new one has no dirt in it. YAY :D

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nice, so you have a few cycles on your battery now? I remember seeing like a couple hundred cycles from a screen shot you posted somewhere.

By the way, when they replaced your hard drive, did you still have your files on it?

11. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Yes, when I got it back from repairs, it only had 0 cycles on it. This is peculiar, as my MBP came brand new out of the box with 2 cycles on it. After calibrating it, it has gone down from 5804mAh to 5728mAh (out of 5770mAh). It now has 1 cycle on it, from that calibration. See the screenshots:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

No, by that point, I had gotten fed-up with the beeping Seagate drive, and I got a 500gb Hitachi 7k500 7200rpm drive. When they replaced the topcase, I thought "Hey! I can take my HDD out, stick the defective drive back in, and kill 2 (actually 3) birds with one stone." And, while they were repairing my MBP, I had my 500gb drive in my MacBook to use for the week.

12. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I wonder how you got ~250 cycles on your Macbook Pro. Since it was released in April/May, you couldn't have gotten it that long ago. I got mine in July, and these are my battery stats:

[​IMG]
    (however iStat Pro reports 97% health)

I guess its a nice treat from Apple to replace your battery.

I have a Hitatchi Drive in my Macbook Pro, and I fear I have the same problem as your original 250GB drive. When I move my Macbook pro, i get a click sound (but i think thats suppose to be normal?) but sometimes when its just sitting on my desk, I can hear my hard drive spin. its kind of loud, the difference in sound you would hear when you plug in an external hard drive.

Still debating if I should buy Applecare or not ...

13. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I got mine in April, right after they were released. I actually got it on April 24th to be exact. I was doing 1-2 battery cycles per day on average. I take it to and from school with me, and do not have access to an outlet during school hours.... That is how I got ~250 cycles...

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Ahh thats cool. I got mine July 17th ;D

Still love this computer though. I haven't taken it to school though; I don't see the need for my classes. Maybe some classes down the road will need it though. What classes do you use it for?

15. AlphaDogg, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

AlphaDogg

Geometry (for taking notes)
    English (for writing papers, taking notes, etc...)
    Biology (for taking notes)
    World History (for taking notes)

Update: I bought this keyboard cover. Hopefully it will come soon!

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

That's nice. I think having a computer would be nice for Biology (my teacher goes through the notes so fast!) but then again, its not impossible to write them because she'll slow down when everyone complains :D. I'm a bit interested to know how you use it for Geometry though. I mean, drawing all of those figures and stuff. I had Geometry last year (i'm a freshman in hs though, right now), and I couldn't imagine taking notes on a computer. It all sounds so interesting. As cool as it would be, theres no reason for me to bring a computer to school. I don't ever see myself using one, and all of the lecture/powerpoints/notes are online too, so yeah.

Sorry if I'm sounding the way I am about not needing a computer for school ... I didn't intend for that to happen.

Glad that it works out for you though. :)

Just curious, how do you take your computer to school? I have a feeling I'd dent my computer if I took it anywhere out of my house :D

Edit #2. Thats a great deal for that keyboard cover. I was looking to buy one when I got my Macbook Pro but I wasn't going to spend $25 on one. My keys are already worn out and I'm not sure if I really care anymore about them. If I had a new keyboard like you though, I'd probably consider it.

17. AlphaDogg thread starter macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I have a Pogo sketch stylus so I can draw the figures in geometry.

Also, check this out (repair sheet that I got back with my MBP): [​IMG]

18. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I know this is kind of unrelated, but do you think I should buy AppleCare for my computer? It seems to have benefited you and might just be worth the $183 (I can get it at the price).

19. AlphaDogg, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

AlphaDogg

I would say yes, as I have benefitted from over $400 worth of repairs so far. I don't even have AppleCare yet. I will be getting it in month 11 of my limited warranty.

I have a heavily padded Brenthaven laptop bag. It has ~1" of padding all around. I also have a skin on my MBP to prevent any scratches.

Me too!