MBP15 (May 2019), hanging update Mojave 10.14.6

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by nebukadnezar2508, Aug 14, 2019 at 7:23 AM.

1. nebukadnezar2508 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I started the update for 10.14.6 this morning on a brand new MBP (May 2019).

After the restart the little startup "sun rays" icon shows up,
    and starts turning extremely slowly, ie. nothing happens for 5/10 secs, then it turns a bit, and then it waits again. This has been going on now for over 2 hours.

Something looks seriously messed up...
    Has anybody had a similar experience with this update ?

My only hunch is that the fact that I have switched on disk encryption,
    which might somehow mess up this update process.

Thanks
    J

As an aside, it is mind-boggling that Apple is charging the prices it is
    and delivering this type of experience, an absolute scandal.
    They should be sued to hell if they do not clean up their act.

2. nebukadnezar2508 thread starter macrumors newbie

If anybody else hits this issue, the following is "the" solution (it seems).

1. Apple geniuses did not have any suggestion and/or where not aware of any other instance of the issue.
    2. After waiting for 24h, I powered down the laptop and restarted to get into the emergency boot.
    3. The machine came back to live and started the update.
    4. Machine is running again...

3. MSastre macrumors 6502a

MSastre

Restarting a Mac cures a lot of ills. usually the first thing I do if it acts strange.

4. Honza1 macrumors 6502

Ouch, strong words. And all was needed to restart the machine ;-) These are computers, things go wrong in any price category with some fraction of them. That's why there is warranty and service. And Apple service and warranties are generally better than most other. If you would have brought it to Apple store, they would fix it or replace it.
    If you want system which will not fail - like ever - return this one NOW. There is a chance you may be disappointed in the future. And buy: ??? Hm, keep the money, there is nothing you can buy.