MBP17 unibody - Hard disk manufacturer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sharpblade1986, Feb 1, 2009.

1. sharpblade1986 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

My name is Andre and this is my first post. I will buy the new unibody MBP17 and I would like to know what's the hard disk's manufacturer. Is it Samsung, Hitachi, Fujitsu, Seagete, Western Digital ? Both 5400 and 7200rpm versions.

Thanks!

2. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

Apple doesn't use one hard drive brand exclusively. Sometimes it even varies with the same desktop/laptop model.

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Just curious. Are you interested in a particular one?

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

As others have said, Apple does tend to use a variety of Hard drive manufacturers, however of late it seems Hitachi has been used in the MacBook and MacBook Pros, going from my own experience and any photos I've seen online, however that could change by the time the 17" MacBook Pro appears

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

It's been known for Apple to use all you've mentioned. It'll just depend on their supplies at the time. May I ask, is there a particular reason you're asking?

6. sharpblade1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just asking because I'm interesting on seagate momentus 7200.3 (7200rpm). I don't think apple will use this hard disk. So, I will buy the new seagate momentus 7200.4 (500GB) and I will use the MBP17 stock 5400rpm as an external drive. What do you think guys ?

Thanks!

7. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

That's what I'm planning to do as well - Even if Apple DID offer a 500GB/7200RPM drive option they'd probably charge a small fortune for it, so I'm going to buy it myself once it becomes available here.

8. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

If you know how to change hard drives easily, then it's best to do it yourself. Apple charges too much for a hard drive from a random company. I always get the free hard drive and swap them out myself for whatever brand I actually prefer. Good luck!

9. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I'm curious how difficult a drive swap is going to be on the new 17in MBP now that the case is sealed.

10. hummer28 macrumors member

My new 17" MBP should arrive Thursday from Apple as well as my new 500GB 7200.4 drive from Newegg. I plan on trying to get the new hard drive transferred over that same day into the new laptop. I'll try to take plenty photos although I'm sure there will be a ton out there this week as well.

11. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

The case is not sealed. It'll have a few screws which will allow you to remove the bottom panel, the same way as you have to do if you want to upgrade the RAM on the 15" model.

12. sharpblade1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

13. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Mine shipped with a Fujitsu 320GB 5400 RPM.

I now have a WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200 RPM. Aside from a noticeable speed increase, it's MUCH quieter. The Fujitsu's head seek seems like a throwback from a few years ago. The WD's seek is virtually silent. Spindle noise almost the same. No vibration (although, I did have to do a RMA exchange with WD because of slight vibration in one). This one's perfect, though.

The Fujitsu now sits in a cheap USB2 case, and I'll most likely use it to keep a bootable mirror of this (WD) drive.

edit: R&R of the hard drive is easy. Just make sure to have a good quality 00 Phillips. You'll also need a T-6 Torx for the hard drive mount screws. The screws have thread lock on them, so take it slow when first removing them. Also, the bottom case side and front screws sit at an angle (outwards) - be sure to have the screwdrive square with the screw head.