MBP2012 2.9ghz Noise and Heat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lunamedia, Sep 7, 2012.

1. lunamedia, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

lunamedia macrumors newbie

Hey, I have just received my new MBP2012 2.9ghz and Thunderbolt Display. Migrated much of my 2007 iMac onto it today.

The MBP seems quite noisy and warm, I'm wondering if this is normal (I have a 2010 Air that never seems to make any noise at all).

Just sitting idle the fan noise is very noticeable, and I get the attached reading from iStatPro. Is 4711rpm high? Surely I shouldn't be getting this level of noise and fan speed whilst idle?

Any advice appreciated.

Edit: moments later speed is up to 5500rpm. Only Safari open.

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, you should adjust your preferences in iStat Pro to show your CPU and GPU temps, as those are the two primary furnaces in your Mac. To do so, click the "i" in the upper left corner, then go to Display > Temps and check everything.
    ScreenCap 2012-09-07 at Fri, Sep 7,3.52.27 PM .PNG
    If CPU/GPU temps are high, the fans are spinning faster to keep your Mac cool, as they should. It's not idle. To find out what's running on your Mac:
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It is high. What is Safari doing?

4. lunamedia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I don't see any option in iStat > Settings > Display > Temps to show CPU or GPU though.

Attached are the 2 Activity Monitor screenshots.

Attached Files:

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

His solution is irrelevant because there is nothing in your Activity Monitor screen shots. What is Safari doing? What are you doing when the fans rev up?

If anything the Finder must be indexing the new information you just transferred. Also, don't believe the Flash problem right now because if you look closely your Flash Plugin barely registers activity.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try holding the Option key while you right-click Finder on the Dock and select "Relaunch".

In your iStat Pro settings, did you scroll down?

I also see you're running Sophos. I recommend that you avoid using Sophos, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

7. lunamedia thread starter macrumors newbie

Option + Relaunch with Finder has quietened it down - now hardly noticeable noise and has dropped to 2006rpm.

What does the relaunch do may I ask, so I'm better educated it if this happens again?

Safari just had Gmail and MacRumors in 2 tabs btw.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Relaunching shuts down the app and restarts it. If it continuously runs at high CPU utilization, further troubleshooting may be needed. If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Hard quit Safari and restart it again. Also works.

10. lunamedia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you sincerely for your help, and also the advice on Sophos, I'll junk it.