MBPr is the best laptop. Period.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by officelurker, Aug 19, 2013.

1. officelurker macrumors member

Last November I bought a MBPr 15". Nothing too fancy. 256 SSD. 8GB RAM.

I have always been a Mac person. But ever since I bought this machine, a lot of my business colleagues told me "its not a business machine", "you wont get any meaningful work done on that", "who needs a chunk of aluminum anyway", "you wont see half the colours on that retina with your naked eye".

I already had installed Parallels on it (for Excel on Windows).

Last month I decided to actually see what else is on the market. Lenovo being the market leader for Business laptops I thought I would order a few and see which ones compare to my MBPr. Worse case scenario, I would sell my MBPr and keep one of the Lenovo machines.

I got the ThinkPad T530, and the Thinkpad W530.

The T530 is a bulky machine. Though not heavy. It does most things right. But and this is a big but, the screen is horrendous. It has a constant blue hue on it. Also the ratio to aspect is crap. Everything is tiny. Viewing websites is a big headache. All the fonts are barely readable. You have to magnify or zoom in for each and every article you read.

The W530 is supposed to be a desktop replacement. It costs me $3K. Loaded machine. I also maxed out the specs on the display with a colour sensor and with NVIDIA graphics card. Got 16GB RAM. A 16GB MSATA drive and 500GB hard drive. (I got an extra charger and a laptop bag).

As you can imagine, I was pretty excited when this machine arrived. I quickly turned it on and WTF? The screen still had a blueish hue to it. I had to re calibrate it every week. Big no no.

Since the maxed out the specs on the screen, the resolution was super high. I could hardly see my icons on the desktop. The web? Nightmare. Super tiny fonts. I tried three browsers just to make sure: Chrome, IE and Opera. All the same. I had to have zoom on 125% all the time which made Youtube unusable.

Even the speed of the booting up and shutting down was pretty slow - what did the MSATA drive do anyway?

I returned the two machines back to Lenovo and I am so thankful I have my MPBr. Sure I might need to carry a few dongles in the event I go to a conference. Big deal. My MBPr screen is the best. I stare at this thing a good seven hours of the day - it better be good. Sorry Lenovo. You might attract the "we need a real laptop which can dock" crowd but guaranteed they you lost a customer in me.

2. Astroboy907, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

3. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

"business" colleagues.. :D

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

5. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Are you expecting some Apple sales or marketing folks to read your post and get a 10% off for the purchase of the upcoming Haswell rMBP...? :D

6. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

7. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

I've had a similar story, except I bought a Sony Vaio SA490S, custom made right before I bought the MacBook Pro Retina.

The device was in my eyes perfect, 13.3'' with a dedicated GPU and weighed less than the MacBook Pro 13.3''! I liked it a lot, had a Intel Core i7 @2.8, 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. But the AMD Radeon drivers failed, so I wasted 1 month on SONY support trying to get a refund.

I finally got a refund, and the MacBook Pro Retina 15.4'' came out - and I bought the baseline. And here I am now - :cool:

8. stevieraveon macrumors newbie

I've got a W530 as well (work provided) and a 15 inch MBPr (personal).

The W530 is an awesome machine with some caveats. You really need an SSD to see full power. I have 1TB of SSD (512 in C:\ and 512 in ultrabay) and 16 GB of RAM.

From powered off to start menu (Windows 8) and usable is 20 seconds flat.

I have DPI scaling set to 125% and in Chrome I have default zoom to 125% as well and all is good (but no comparison to retina screen)

One of the main cons is the weight....the laptop is over 6lbs and the damn power supply is 1.5 lbs itself.

9. TheBearman macrumors 6502

We have these provided as work systems, the PS...what a joke! They're bricks and I really don't understand the increase in size and weight. My old W500 had a much more reasonably sized PS.

10. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

Wrong. Period. I got a way better laptop than a macbook for $1099. Theyre good but too expensive

11. officelurker thread starter macrumors member

You are pretty confident your Acer is better than the Macbook Pro Retina? You got bang for your buck. Not quality.

12. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Hey, it could be an HP!

13. zipur macrumors 6502a

Really, post us in two years and lets see who got the most bang for bucks. In two years your registry is 5g on its own mostly due to windows updates. Your acer will 2 minutes just to boot.

14. Sym0 macrumors 6502

Sym0

I did the same research before buying my rMBP 15" top model, and they are the best laptops at the moment.

The only thing that comes close always compromises on one of three areas, the Mac doesn't.

1. Build quality
    2. Slim Size/Form factor
    3. Processing grunt

I could always find powerful W8 laptops, and same specs or specs that exceed the top model rMBP15 are priced the same, about $3000 AUD, but the size and weight of these machines make them not portable, desktop replacements maybe but not wafer thin. All slim W8 laptops either had 8GB ram limits or little or no dGPU performance. and SSDs are still not standard, many don't even have an upgrade option.

The rMBP15 is the most quality build laptop I have ever seen, it is so strong and stiff, and feels solid. Plastic chassis W8 Laptops are just aweful. Sure they work, but I would be embarrassed to have spent $3K on a piece of plastic, even it was as fast as the rMBP. And don't get me started on screens and there brightness, colour, contrast and resolution... they just don't compete with Apple on that front yet, maybe one or two new laptops do now, but none that tick all three boxes.

And battery life!! 7hrs in OSX and 5Hrs W7, brilliant, with this much speed. Love it. Very happy and I am a first time mac owner and coming from 20 years of power use in Windows and x86 PCs.

I bootcamp in windows and use that for work only, and OSX for home.

15. Mr. Dee macrumors 65816

Mr. Dee

Be objective, not biased!

I have an HP desktop running the same factory installed Windows 7 Professional since August 2011 (sysinfo - command prompt)

System has an SSD, all post SP1 updates installed.
    108 app library.

Lots of files, gross iTunes app with a 14 GB library.

Still boots in 7 seconds flat, with a ready desktop and Start menu.

16. priitv8 macrumors 68020

I've seen 2 Acers to mechanically fall apart. One of them, unfortunately, was my own.

17. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

Best computer i've ever had.

And i've had:

MacBook Pro "13
    MacBook Pro "15
    MacBook Air "13
    iMac 27" 2011

Several Gaming Pc's.

18. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

It boots in ten seconds

----------

It is a very good quality laptop

19. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

Yup - Acer I had before I went Mac had a gpu failure. Just outside the warranty too. Was a good machine to be fair up until that - but quality just does not match Apple imho. Any Mac I've had since they went Intel is still going - I had a black macbook that I bequeathed to a friend and it is still running strong

20. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

This.

Windows has had this feature for quite sometime. As far as i can remember, its been around since XP.

It wouldnt have hurt to look up things you could have done help with icon and UI sizes.

21. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

22. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

I see. So retina displays are now better than real life? WTH BUSINESS GRUNTS. Do they actually know anything?

23. DiscardedPacket macrumors member

I admit the rMBP is one of the best laptops out there. But for ultra books, Apple isn't winning in all cases.

Case in point is the Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon. Designed pretty much as a clone of the macbook air, but with a better screen.

I am a mac fanboi, but I did recommend a colleague to get the X1 over the Air due to the fact that he needs to use windows.

Here is a pretty good comparison vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oST6XmQZ5Zw

24. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I hope by 'business colleagues' you mean fast food workers. Anyone says something that dumb they need to be encouraged not to reproduce.

Good comparison post OP.

25. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Those comments by his "business colleagues" sound as though they are made out of jealousy and not to be helpful.