MBPR Owners...What did you have before?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ugahairydawgs, Jun 15, 2012.

1. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

For all of you who have managed to snag a MBPR, what computer did you come from and how does it compare? Has anyone come from the 13" MBA and if so can you comment on how noticeable the 1.5lbs weight difference is?

2. Trimmer2 macrumors member

Late '08

I had a late '08 unibody 15" Macbook Pro and have been PATIENTLY waiting for a major upgrade...and I'm really glad I did! Relatively speaking, this thing screams and the display is more than impressive. I can't get over how thin the new model is either. After lugging around the old machine for 3.5 years which is 1.5 years longer than I've ever waited to upgrade, I can't get over the weight loss and how thin it is. Did I already mention it's thin?

I'm running two Thunderbolt displays which is the biggest fail of the whole release. Why didn't they upgrade the displays with at least one USB3 port?? What's the point of Thunderbolt or USB3 if when the display's USB2 is a major bottleneck? Now, try to find a SSD storage with Thunderbolt at reasonable price. Find a USB3 storage device for that matter too! So, 99.9999% of devices out there are slower than the Thunderbolt standard so, why the hoopla about TBolt speed when no one will ever realize it?? Ridiculous.

Now don't even get me started about not having any 758g SSD available for 5-7 weeks on release day!! AND not being able to upgrade as the 528 is welded to motherboard! I may look at ship times for larger drive at my 30 day return window and make a decision to trade and wait.

3. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Early 2011 13" MBP. Loved the weight but didn't like the screen real estate. Sold it last week knowing 15" retina was coming. New retina weighs lighter, thinner and i get the 15" screen. For me it's just as portable. And much more powerful with the discrete graphics.

4. leenak macrumors 68020

2009 14" Sony Vaio. I know the 15" is lighter but I don't have it yet so no comments.

5. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I haven't received my RMBP yet, but right now I'm using a 2007 2.4ghz MBP with 4GB of ram. Also has an annoying green line down the far left of the screen that won't go away. I't'll be nice not to have to look at that anymore :)

6. npgatech macrumors newbie

First Mac

My first mac ever :) I am loving the experience. Nothing beats an Apple laptop in casual computing. The retina display boggles my mind and makes me drool perpetually. Touch pad is the best I have used in a laptop. Happy owner.

7. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

Not sure how you can call this a fail because of the Thunderbolt display. You realize the Thunderbolt display isn't a new product?

Surely they will update their displays with magsafe 2, USB 3, and a higher resolution.

8. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

MacBook Pro 13-inch (Late, 2011)
    I love the MacBook Pro with Retina Display. Never look back now :D

9. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

my MBPr is on order and probably won't get here for another week.
    compared to my 2010 11" macbook air, it's a bit heavier.
    compared to my 2008 mac pro with 24" led cinema display and ups that the 2010 air complements, let's say it's a tad lighter ;)

2.3lb + 65lb will soon be 4.5lb

10. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Late 2008 15" MacBook Pro. Retina doesn't come in until early July. Booooo. But I'm sure it'll be nice!

11. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Original 2008 unibody MacBook pro! I have been waiting for a major upgrade and I am hoping the wait was worth it when I get my new machine next week! I have never been crazy about the unibody design, so I decided to wait for a redesign before getting a new computer.

12. jcpb macrumors 6502a

13. j1999t macrumors member

Coming from non-unibody early 2008 15" macbook pro. has a 2.5GHz core 2 duo w/ 6gb ram and 500gb 5400RPM hard drive...

waiting on RMBP 2.6/16/512 to ship, absolutely cannot wait to get it (hopefully by next friday?)

refreshing my order page every 2 minutes with an auto refresh extension for chrome...

14. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I had a 13"MBA. My MBPR hasn't arrived yet, but I played with one tonight at the Apple store. Surprisingly the iPads still seemed to be getting more play from people than any of the Macs.

Of course you can feel the weight difference, but this is still a light notebook by any normal standards. You wouldn't want to balance it in one hand for a long period while typing with the other, but you certainly could if you had to, while standing in a line or what have you.

I think the MBA is a more elegant design, especially closed. But the screen is amazing, and the edge-to-edge glass is cool. I screened a number of 4K videos from Youtube, and played around with the various scaled resolutions. The 1920 by 1200 seemed quite usable (I didn't have my glasses, but could still make out stuff. Retina seemed a bit large, since I'm used to a smaller MBA screen and smaller fonts on my Thunderbolt display. I didn't expect a 15 inch screen to seem so large.

15. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

Had a 2010 mbp 13. Now this sexy 15!

The MBPR is on the left. Lighter, faster, and thinner!

[​IMG]

16. zjazz macrumors 6502

I had early 2011 13" MBP. Still waiting for my RMBP

17. Pared3s macrumors regular

2006 Macbook Pro Core2Duo. By the way, there is nothing wrong with my old computer but a family member needed a new computer so I decided to be a "nice" guy and pass it along.

That computer is a workhorse and is a testament to how these things hold up. I really hope Apple continues to produce(and support) products that last long and are not obsolete after a couple of years(see original iPad).

18. Marrakas macrumors 6502

Marrakas

Custom built desktop... Before that I had an Alienware 17x and a mac mini

19. torana355 macrumors 68020

This is what i was thinking, ive decided to just buy a decent $700 monitor and a Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock which has 3 usb3 ports, firewire800, gigabit ethernet ect ect.

20. Blue604 macrumors regular

Just ordered RMBA, been using 2009 mbp 13". Never really thought I need to upgrade until I played diablo 3. I was planning to get the non-retina 15" MBP since diablo 3 came out in May. Very glad that they come out with retina display version.:D

21. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

2007 MacBook Pro (3,1). 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4gb of RAM and a 500gb 7200 RPM HDD.

Even after close to 5 years, this machine is still incredibly capable and faster than many 2010 MacBooks, and it is still being supported by Apple since it'll run ML. I hope the new generation of MBPs will last as well as these older models did.

I'm upgrading mainly for Retina and because I can still sell this for a reasonable price. I'll let someone else retire it.

22. bradleyj macrumors newbie

I had a mid 2011 21.5" 2.8ghz iMac with 16gb ram and a mid 2011 11.6" MacBook Air, loved both machines but I was getting a little tired of having 2 machines and the lack of the screen real estate on the iMac. I sold the iMac about a month ago and only lost $200 from the initial purchase price and sold the MacBook the day before WWDC (kinda feel a little bad for the guy having not done his research), I bought the MacBook for $1050 refurbished at the start of the year and sold it for $1000 last Monday, Huzzah!

Now have a Thunderbolt Display at home patiently waiting for my 2.3ghz Retina MBP (16gb Ram) to come in the mail... it's everything I wanted, bigger screen real estate, one machine, portability etc. This 2-3 week wait is going to kill me though :(

23. spdntrxi macrumors regular

Dell XPS 15.. loaded up pretty well... upgraded screen. BD burner..blah blah

24. bryenz macrumors newbie

I came from the 2011 13" MacBook Air. So far it's noticeable, but not overly so. The benefits definitely "outweigh" (har har) it.

We'll see how I feel after trekking through airports next week - but for now it's definitely awesome.

25. snoflewis macrumors newbie

went from sony vaio sz to an alienware m11x r2 to the mbpr that hasn't been shipped yet. sadly...the mbpr cost more than the vaio sz and m11x combined...but im hoping it's that much more useful.