MBP's disk is full. What now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Caezar, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Caezar macrumors 6502

Hi,

The 250GB disk on my MacBook Pro is full, mostly of pictures and videos, stored in a single library. I could install a larger drive (320? 500?), but I will face the same issue in a few months time.

I also have a 500GB Time Capsule, that I use to backup my data and that is also my wireless access point.

What can I do then?

Should I purchase a NAS product? I am ignorant of NAS. How does it work (especially how does it cohabit with a Time Capsule)?
    :confused:

- Can I continue to access the internet through the Capsule and use the NAS as a wireless hard-disk?
    - Would the NAS be connected to the Time Capsule through an ethernet cable?
    - Can Time Machine manage both a Time Machine-compliant NAS product and the Time Capsule at the same time? (where the Capsule would backup my notebook and the NAS would be used for extra-storage, as well as backing itself up)

Any other solution?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have the same problem, all be with smaller amounts of data.

I keep all my media on my Time capsule downstairs, and it is streamed wirelessly to my mac. It works very well and can still be used for TC backup's.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that none of media is backed up at the moment....

Think I might plug a usb drive into the back of the TC and do an archive.:p

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I think there is a much cheaper solution, but wait for someone to reply who has actually tested it: I think you can attach an external hard drive to the Time Capsule hardware. So you would say a one TB external hard drive, attach it to the Time Capsule, and use that for storage for backups. Your original Time Capsule with its 500 GB hard drive you use then as a NAS.

One caveat: Since that way your original data and the Time Machine backup are physically close together, make sure that they are in a place where burglars wouldn't find them easily.

4. Caezar thread starter macrumors 6502

This is an excellent suggestion, but how do I "transform" my Time Capsule from a backup disk to a storage disk?

5. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

External HDD

You are aware that you can plug any USB HDD into that USB port of your Time Capsule and a access it via your Mac? Just transfer some of your data to an external hard drive and let Time Capsule do the job it was designed to do. ;)

6. macgrl macrumors 65816

This is the best thing to do. Plus with a bit of playing around with settings you can access that hard drive via the internet where ever you may be

7. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Please, please, oh please back-up. I have had multiple HDD failures over my history of Mac and PC use. Of course most of what I do is rather data intensive. But never more than a day's worth of data lost (in the worst case).

HDDs will fail. It is only a matter of when. Just expressing friendly concern. :)

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

A Time Capsule is a NAS. Sounds like you already have one - you're just using it for Time Machine and not as a file server.

Yes, you can do this whether you change your Time Capsule over to network storage, or continue to use it for Time Machine and get a second NAS.

Yes, or any other hub/router on your network. At this point, your new NAS is attached to the network through your TC, regardless of the fact that the TC also has a hard disk in it.

Time Machine really only needs one volume to do its thing, but yes, you can use one of those volumes for backing up and one for serving files.

Save some money - buy an external USB or FW drive for Time Machine, connect it directly to your computer, and use the TC for your file server.

You'll need to connect a second volume (either an external drive or NAS) to your machine and point Time Machine to that. You can then use the TC as a storage disk.

Yes, but if the OP's media databases are as large as they sound, this is going to present some really hampering performance issues.

I have a 9+ Gb iPhoto library on a NAS that takes about 2 minutes to load. Not worth it, IMO. I'm seriously considering breaking that back down into individual image files so they don't all have to be loaded simultaneously.

9. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

I have an external HD right now connected to my PC.

How would I go about 'backing it up'? I only have this 1TB external HD as my main external HD. Don't want to lose all the valuable media on there.

:(

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Assuming the data on the 1 Tb external isn't already on your PC or some other computer, just buy a second drive, connect them both, then copy everything over (or duplicate the drive).

If the data on your 1 Tb external is already on your PC or some other computer, then problem solved - you already have two copies.

11. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Well, I use my 1TB as storing everything I download, basically.

So, it's like my heavy hitter/headquarters. I guess I'll have to invest in another 1TB external, huh?

:eek: ==> :cool:

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'd recommend you do it quickly, before you experience a failure. :eek::eek:

13. chris7777 macrumors 6502

I have not yet received my mac, but are dvd's not an option for at least some data storage.

IT can be annoying sometimes, but it would at least free up as much disk space as you have the patience to burn.

14. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

But what if the extra 1TB external dies out too?

Then it's a continual process of buying and paranoia. Ahhhh! Haha.

:p

15. pinoyplaya macrumors regular

Here's the thing... you have a MBP... its a laptop. Unless you use every single file/data/music/videos and etc that are stored in the hard drive, I would purchase a 1.5 terrabyte external harddrive and store the stuff you dont use or rarely use in there. You can always access them anytime, assuming of course you will have it with you.

16. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Good back-up strategies require a copy kept at at separate physical location rotated out periodically with the main back-up drive. This is in case your house burns down or something along those lines.

While I worry little about work related stuff, my main fear is of losing all the pictures I have taken over the years. The good thing is that storage has become very cheap over the years.

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's not very portable, but if you really have a lot of data to store, I would consider a Drobo; it's a proprietary solution, but a good one nonetheless.

This also grows with your usage by simply swapping out drives as larger disks become available.