Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Don't confuse a McDonald's worker with the facts!! Just hold the phone up to the reader. Worked fine for me. :cool:

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I've been tapping with my credit card for some time now. Doing the same with nfc in my phone just seems like an evolution of the process. Not sure why people are so enamoured so as to create threads about failed attempts.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
Subway is even worse. When you hold your phone out, they think you want to pay with the Subway app, and a stupid QR code appears on the terminal. I always have to say NO - regular credit card. They eventually figure it out, but always have a really confused look on their face.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
So I doh't have Apple pay on my phone yet and have a question. If you put several credit cards and a couple of debit cards in your Apple Pay configuration, how do you select which card you want to pay with?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
So I doh't have Apple pay on my phone yet and have a question. If you put several credit cards and a couple of debit cards in your Apple Pay configuration, how do you select which card you want to pay with?

Bring phone to reader without your thumb on TouchID and tap on the default card when Apple Pay lights up. It'll show all the cards and you can then select a different card.

If you know you want to pay with the default card, bring to reader with your thumb on TouchID.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Got it, thanks. I do have it on my iPad Air 2, but it won't be used for that. Imagine how silly I would look taking my iPad Air to the register for payment. I haven't set up the wife's phone just yet and was wondering how it would handle that. :eek:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Got it, thanks. I do have it on my iPad Air 2, but it won't be used for that. Imagine how silly I would look taking my iPad Air to the register for payment. I haven't set up the wife's phone just yet and was wondering how it would handle that. :eek:

Apple Pay on the iPad Air 2 is more for online purchases using TouchID than in-store purchases.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I never even bother telling the staff at McDonalds that I want to pay with CC. I just put my phone up against the NFC scanner and pay with Apple Pay. They usually asked what just happened, and I say I just paid for it. End of discussion. The only thing they have to do after that is give me my food.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
Not everyone knows what Apple Pay is and not everyone knows what NFC is. You dont go and say "I'm going to pay cash" do you? (unless the asked) Apple pay pops up as soon as you hold your phone over the NFC terminal. If anything, say youre going to use credit.

Imagine someone going and saying "Im going to use Google Wallet" or "Im going to pay with Softcard"

I don't say a word, just one quick swipe with my Google Wallet Card wherever I'm shopping and I'm done.

Much faster than Apple Pay currently since Google Wallet Cards are a known method of payment. Immediately recognized by the Terminal, clerks who may not be aware don't question them. The payments already been processed by the time they notice.

Apple will eventually catch up. :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

You can pick one as the default, so if you just hold the phone up to the reader and hit your fingerprint on there you are done. Otherwise, you can preselect a card then pay with Apple Pay and it will use the card you selected.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
You cannot use an iPad for retail transaction, only for on-line transactions.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
When I pay at McDonald's, the Apple pay portion is done before the order has been completely entered. I've not had to say that I paid via credit/debit.
Same as it was when I actually swiped a card.

I'll have to try subway. Last time I was there they did the QR code thing so I didn't think they supported nfc. But apparently they do.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I don't say a word, just one quick swipe with my Google Wallet Card wherever I'm shopping and I'm done.

Much faster than Apple Pay currently since Google Wallet Cards are a known method of payment. Immediately recognized by the Terminal, clerks who may not be aware don't question them. The payments already been processed by the time they notice.

Apple will eventually catch up. :)

To be fair, a number of us have caught the cashier off-guard using Apple Pay too by simply paying with our iPhone. It's paid by the time they notice it and they're like "What happened?" Too many people are making the mistake of asking "Do you take Apple Pay?"

I never even bother telling the staff at McDonalds that I want to pay with CC. I just put my phone up against the NFC scanner and pay with Apple Pay. They usually asked what just happened, and I say I just paid for it. End of discussion. The only thing they have to do after that is give me my food.

That works at McDonald's because their terminals are always on for NFC and don't need to be activated. However, some retailers have terminals that need to be activated first by pressing the correct button (usually credit). Unless you know the terminal is already activated at a particular retailer (either from experience or from reading on here), it's not a bad practice to get in the habit of saying "Credit" or "I'd like to pay with credit" upfront. This can even prevent confusion such as the Subway employee seeing your iPhone and assuming you're trying to scan the QR code like the following:

I'll have to try subway. Last time I was there they did the QR code thing so I didn't think they supported nfc. But apparently they do.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I just got my new Gold iPhone 6 Plus (128GB) yesterday. I went to McDonalds, excited to purchase lunch using my new device. The lady at the front gave me my total, and I said "I'm going to pay using my new iPhone". She immediately gave a very confused look and told me I could pay using cash or credit. I said that Apple Pay is an NFC-based feature and should work with any NFC terminal. She told me to wait just a moment while she spoke with her manager.

At that point I was rather embarrassed and told her I'd just pay with my card. All in all, it was a pretty disappointing experience... I thought by now it would be more widely accepted. Anyone have any tips? Did I just get a bad Apple? (no pun intended)

I think you should be more embarrassed by the fact that you wanted to buy lunch in McDonalds. :)))))
Buy yourself healthier lunch somewhere else, you will feel much better and your body will thank you for it in a long run :)

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
You have to realize that not every single retailer than can accept Apple Pay, Google Wallet, etc. is going to be worried about training their employees about it especially considering it isn't widespread nor the normal form of payment.

How much mainstream media time has been used to advertise Apple Pay? Do you expect every retail worker to be trained on every new technology while it is still just a niche market? And the retailer isn't in a position that they need to spend time and money educating their staff because even if they turned away every person who wanted to use Apple Pay, and didn't have any other form of payment on them, they would still turn a huge profit.

Give it time to become accepted in the market. I remember when debit cards linked to checking accounts were the "new thing" and even though they function exactly like credit cards people were confused by having to enter a PIN. I got stuck behind plenty of people who had to take their debit card out of the little paper sleeve it came in and input their PIN by reading it from the same little sleeve.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
One option is to not go to McDonald's in the first place. So many better and healthier options.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I think you should be more embarrassed by the fact that you wanted to buy lunch in McDonalds. :)))))

One option is to not go to McDonald's in the first place. So many better and healthier options.

Even I, someone who very rarely goes to a fast food place and hasn't been to McD in months, knows they have a few decent choices available. See http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/getnutrition/nutritionfacts.pdf

(yes I've piled on them before too, which wasn't really fair)

BTW, one can make some rather poor choices at the supposedly "healthier" places as well. Swing by Panera for a Vegetarian Creamy Tomato Soup bread bowl, Signature Hot Chocolate, and an Orange Scone for a mid-afternoon snack. 2000+ calories for lunch. https://www.panerabread.com/content/dam/panerabread/documents/nutrition/Panera-Nutrition.pdf

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm surprised the iPhone 6 and Apple Pay have been around for a while now and there are still high volume retailers (like McDonalds) whose employees still haven't seen it or heard of it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
MacDonalds staff get confused when I order a quarter pounder without cheese, so this is hardly surprising.

Acronyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I get side salads from there several times a week, so what's another healthier alternative I can easily pick up in a drive-thru?

Sorry, I shouldn't really have said anything and it's none of my business. This isn't a food forum, after all. Many years ago I used to go to McDonald's way too often, but then I started running and making my own lunches, or really trying to limit myself. I also forget that I am probably very spoiled with the amount of healthy (and unhealthy) food choices in Tokyo. Anyway, sorry for the comment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.