Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I get side salads from there several times a week, so what's another healthier alternative I can easily pick up in a drive-thru?

There are none, and those salads are loaded with chemicals to keep the greens fresh and crisp. And also loaded with calories through the dressing they use. Google and read any article about why eating a salad at a fast food restaurant isn't really any different than getting a burger and fries.

I don't care what you eat, just responding to the question you poised with the facts.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
...it's not a bad practice to get in the habit of saying "Credit" or "I'd like to pay with credit" upfront. This can even prevent confusion such as the Subway employee seeing your iPhone and assuming you're trying to scan the QR code like the following:

Well the guy there didn't know about Apple Pay. I asked him if they accepted Apple Pay and he said "Sure I just have to press the mobile button" and then I was presented with the QR code.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
lol Mc Donalds... my favorite is when u get coupons using the app and some staff members seriously ask you to click on the button to "use" the coupon. like I am not just gonna download the app again to reset it. idiots

I get side salads from there several times a week, so what's another healthier alternative I can easily pick up in a drive-thru?

their salads are worse than their burgers btw. there's more fat in their salad than in a big mac for example

DKDonkeyKong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
Cambridge, MA
their salads are worse than their burgers btw. there's more fat in their salad than in a big mac for example

Exactly. I always laugh at the health nuts who order salads at mcdonalds when i'm eating a big mac and a quarter pounder and actually consuming LESS calories. Idiots!

Cool to see this issue getting some publicity on Business Insider! I'm going to try Apple Pay at lunch again tomorrow... still trying to decide which burger(s) to get this time. :)

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
The first time I used Apple Pay at the counter of a McDonald's I told the cashier what I was going to do. She said she didn't know what I meant, to which I replied "Just let me try it." I then held my phone to the NFC unit and Apple Pay worked as advertised.

What surprised me was her reaction. She began shouting to the other employees, "DID YOU SEE WHAT HE JUST DID?" Their reply was mostly "Yes, is that the first time you've seen it done?"

I told her, "Welcome to the future."

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Well the guy there didn't know about Apple Pay. I asked him if they accepted Apple Pay and he said "Sure I just have to press the mobile button" and then I was presented with the QR code.

Your mistake was asking if they took Apple Pay. All you had to do is say "Credit" then he'll know to press the correct button to make Apple Pay work even if he knows nothing about it.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Exactly. I always laugh at the health nuts who order salads at mcdonalds when i'm eating a big mac and a quarter pounder and actually consuming LESS calories.

Just curious which particular salad exceeds a big mac plus a quarter pounder?
http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/food/full_menu/full_menu_explorer.html

Still a valid point -- there certainly are lots of restaurants that serve salads containing excessive fats/sugars/calories. However a true "health nut" (as you so lovingly reference) is smart enough to know fried chicken and fat/oil laden dressing does not result in a low calorie meal.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
IMO, while it's easily possible to build a salad anywhere that has more fat than a Big Mac, it doesn't take a degree in rocket science to figure out how to order a McDonald's salad with less fat! :eek: :D

26g of fat = Big Mac

11g of fat = Southwest Salad w/ Grilled Chicken + Balsamic Vinaigrette
11g of fat = Bacon Ranch Salad w/ Grilled Chicken + Balsamic Vinaigrette

And even if you decide to get crazy with it, Ranch dressing on either of those salads bump the total up to 23g fat, which is still less than a Big Mac.

Also FWIW, each of the salads above have more protein (30g) vs a Big Mac (24g).

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
IMO, while it's easily possible to build a salad anywhere that has more fat than a Big Mac, it doesn't take a degree in rocket science to figure out how to order a McDonald's salad with less fat! :eek: :D

26g of fat = Big Mac

11g of fat = Southwest Salad w/ Grilled Chicken + Balsamic Vinaigrette
11g of fat = Bacon Ranch Salad w/ Grilled Chicken + Balsamic Vinaigrette

And even if you decide to get crazy with it, Ranch dressing on either of those salads bump the total up to 23g fat, which is still less than a Big Mac.

Also FWIW, each of the salads above have more protein (30g) vs a Big Mac (24g).

Agreed, it is all about choices:

http://calorielab.com/restaurants/mcdonalds/1

Of course, I would probably still get the Big mac--:rolleyes:

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
"i just got my new gold iphone 6 plus (128gb) yesterday. I went to mcdonalds, excited to purchase lunch using my new device."

PRICELESS

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
This garbage thread ended up in a Yahoo article entitled "Apple Pay at McDonald's is a Disaster".

Just tell them credit and do your thing with your phone. Problem solved.

Calebtt

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
I go to Mcdonald's for coffee in the morning just to use my iP6 to pay, being its the only business in my town that accepts it.

brgjoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
Central IL, USA.
Never had a problem using Apple Pay at McDonald's.

Though when I first got my iPhone6 and went to use Apple Pay at Subway, it didn't go as well. I made the mistake of saying I want to pay with my iPhone. Thought that would help matters, since I didn't know if they had a specific procedure to use when people pay via the iPhone.

But when I tried to pay via Apple Pay, the silly QR code popped up. She probably thought it was a mobile payment using the Subway app. Later a helpful person on here told me just to tell them to select "credit".

I went back and told them I would be using credit and the Apple Pay transaction worked flawlessly. Never had a problem since.

Moral of the story -- just tell them you will be using credit to pay. Telling them you will pay via iPhone or Apple Pay just generally confused 'em.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
How did we go from this confused Macrumors member asking an innocent question, to this: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/iphone-customers-apple-pay-mcdonalds-204800750.html

A legit (well, Yahoo) News Website with the headline, "Using Apple Pay at Macdonalds is a disaster!"

Just based solely on this thread.

I give up.

A choice quote:

"Staff don't know how to accept payment using Apple Pay, the new mobile payments app."

Apple Pay a payments app?

I can imagine James Cook (The author) writing this,

"Hey Sarah, is Apple Pay an app?"

"I'm not sure James, it's a phone thing, so probably an app"

"Ok cool, I'll just put payment app"

"Yeah, probably right."

"I'm putting together an article based on one forum topic about 1 user having an issue with Apple Pay, im giving it the headline, "Apple Pay is a disaster!" Should I try it myself at the Macdonalds down the road first before I publish it?"

"Nah, waste of time, just put it out, anything anti Apple gets loads of hits"

"Ah right, cool, sounds good to me!"

Last edited:

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
I just got my new Gold iPhone 6 Plus (128GB) yesterday. I went to McDonalds, excited to purchase lunch using my new device. The lady at the front gave me my total, and I said "I'm going to pay using my new iPhone". She immediately gave a very confused look and told me I could pay using cash or credit. I said that Apple Pay is an NFC-based feature and should work with any NFC terminal. She told me to wait just a moment while she spoke with her manager.

At that point I was rather embarrassed and told her I'd just pay with my card. All in all, it was a pretty disappointing experience... I thought by now it would be more widely accepted. Anyone have any tips? Did I just get a bad Apple? (no pun intended)
You were embarassed? For what? For waiting or for workers at McDonalds not knowing of apple pay? you poor little thing, hopefully you didnt start crying in the middle of McDonalds. :rolleyes:

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
How did we go from this confused Macrumors member asking an innocent question, to this: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/iphone-customers-apple-pay-mcdonalds-204800750.html

A legit (well, Yahoo) News Website with the headline, "Using Apple Pay at Macdonalds is a disaster!"

Just based solely on this thread.

I give up.

A choice quote:

"Staff don't know how to accept payment using Apple Pay, the new mobile payments app."

Apple Pay a payments app?

I can imagine James Cook (The author) writing this,

"Hey Sarah, is Apple Pay an app?"

"I'm not sure James, it's a phone thing, so probably an app"

"Ok cool, I'll just put payment app"

"Yeah, probably right."

"I'm putting together an article based on one forum topic about 1 user having an issue with Apple Pay, im giving it the headline, "Apple Pay is a disaster!" Should I try it myself at the Macdonalds down the road first before I publish it?"

"Nah, waste of time, just put it out, anything anti Apple gets loads of hits"

"Ah right, cool, sounds good to me!"

Yeah, articles like these should be based on some first hand experiences and research. Don't forget that Business Insider use this same thread for their article also.

When it comes to Apple Pay or Google Wallet, McDonalds is probably the easiest place to use it. I've also used it at the drive thru without an issue. I simply say "hi, i will be paying with my phone and they would just hold out the terminal for me"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.