Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

McDonald's is generating lots of buzz today after it used an iPhone 8 mockup in an ad promoting its mymacca's mobile ordering app in Australia.

mcdonalds-australia-ad-iphone-8.jpg
McDonald's promotional email courtesy of MacRumors reader Amir T.

The ad, emailed to many customers on Thursday, clearly shows a rendered iPhone with a nearly full front display, beyond a notch for the front-facing camera, earpiece, and sensors for expected facial recognition functionality.

Needless to say, this isn't an official iPhone 8 image. Benjamin Geskin? tweeted that the render is his. McDonald's poorly cropped the image, and used circles for the signal strength indicator, which Apple switched to bars in iOS 11.

However, whether it was intentional, by mistake, or simply a McDonald's graphic designer being clever, the ad has proven to be an effective publicity stunt, as several users have shared it on social platforms like Twitter, Reddit, and the MacRumors forums.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the iPhone 8 will be available in September in extremely limited quantities.

Article Link: McDonald's Generates Buzz With Ad Showing iPhone 8 Mockup

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Not right! Just look at the signalbars(dots in this case). They just took image from Google and put their current app over it. Clearly a publicity stunt from McDonald's to gather more attention.

Last edited:

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Pretty shoddy Photoshop for a multi-billion dollar company, but there you go... Wonder if laymen looking at it recognise it's an 'iPhone 8' mockup or think they just accidentally stuck a big blob in the middle of the screen at the top!

Sunday Ironfoot

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
It could have been a clever marketing stunt, or it could have been a lazy designer googling "iPhone mockup" and this was the first result.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
McRumors!

Rather than believe it's a cheeky 5-minute photoshop, I like to think they sent the hamburglar to Apple's R&D dept, just for the mental image.

Whether you want to also think about him being chased out by a clown is entirely optional, depending on how you feel about this design.

Last edited:

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
I don't know whether I hate protruding cameras or hate rat nibbled notched displays more.
Both solutions are just so unrefined and ridiculous. Apple design has lowered its standards.
This is how beautiful refined design looks. This is iPhone 5c. No notches. No protruding cameras.
Now, imagine that white plastic was actually glass.
Rethink your rubbish design, Apple!
white-iPhone-5c-flat.png

white-iPhone-5c.jpg

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ha I can see it now; Macdonald's being sued for copyright infringement for a mockup on an unreleased product where the information is being stolen from Apple or their manufacturers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.