McTorture: I'm lovin it????

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by quagmire, Dec 19, 2011.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Just saw this video from McDonald's eggs supplier. The treatment of the chickens is disgusting.....

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Thats not in the US obviously. It's in some Latin American country, which let me tell you is very much the case.

3. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

In the video description it says the footage was shot at Sparboe Egg Farm facilities in Iowa, Minnesota and Colorado.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I thought it was in Latin America because of the guy with accent. Also because back home, that's how they treat chickens.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Chickens are the most poorly treated animals on Earth. :( This video is an accurate depiction of how ALL chickens are treated ---- even the ones that end up on your plate. They all come from the same factories, and most of them come from the US. The US invented "factory farming", and then perfected it.

This isn't a video about McDonalds, or "egg producing" chickens exclusively. It's not fair to blame McDonalds or egg farmers for factory farming. What do you expect, when some US factory farming companies (e.g. Tyson's Chicken) produces something like 2 billion chickens a year. It's what people want.

A single US company cannot "produce" 2 billion chickens a year using natural means and humane methods.

6. nouveau macrumors member

Well the U.S. is on its path to becoming a Latin American country, let me tell ya :/

Anyways, McDonald's and other big food corporations hire illegal immigrants to do these kinds of jobs

Back to the OP, who cares how they treat the animals, it's food

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

They can, but not at a profit. So they won't. Corporate America has always been about going Green.

I take it you've never been in a slaughterhouse. Me neither. And I never want to enter one. I love eating meat to much. The sight of live animals being turned into tender, juicy goodness would make me run to the Vegan lifestyle faster than Mexican water through a first time tourist.

8. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I actually pay extra for free-range eggs and poultry (15-20€/kg or roughly 10-15 USD/lb) because they enforce the rules over here

European Union

The European Union regulates marketing standards for egg farming which specifies the following (cumulative) minimum conditions for the free-range method:

hens have continuous daytime access to open-air runs, except in the case of temporary restrictions imposed by veterinary authorities,

the open-air runs to which hens have access is mainly covered with vegetation and not used for other purposes except for orchards, woodland and livestock grazing if the latter is authorised by the competent authorities,

the open-air runs must at least satisfy the conditions specified in Article 4(1)(3)(b)(ii) of Directive 1999/74/EC whereby the maximum stocking density is not greater than 2500 hens per hectare of ground available to the hens or one hen per 4m2 at all times and the runs are not extending beyond a radius of 150 m from the nearest pophole of the building; an extension of up to 350 m from the nearest pophole of the building is permissible provided that a sufficient number of shelters and drinking troughs within the meaning of that provision are evenly distributed throughout the whole open-air run with at least four shelters per hectare.[10]

Otherwise, egg farming in EU is classified into 4 categories: Organic (ecological), Free Range, Barn, and Cages.[11]) The mandatory labelling on the egg shells attributes a number (which is the first digit on the label) to each of these categories: 0 for Organic, 1 for Free Range, 2 for Barn and 3 for Cages.[12]

There are EU regulations about what free-range means for laying hens and broilers (meat chickens) as indicated above.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

We can put an end to this by buying less from places like McDonald's. Buy free range, local meats. They're all at your grocery store. It's not that difficult.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

exactly. i haven't eaten anything at McDonalds in probably a decade or so. i refuse to support the things they call food.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, it can be done, and no bitching please just because it costs a little more.

Be true to your standards.

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yup, but as the economy gets worse more people find McDonald's dollar menu to be perfect.

I don't eat McD's much, but this video is disgusting (I believe this is the same video I saw a few years ago). It makes PETA look rational.

I hope they work at cleaning up this behavior.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I NEVER eat at McDonald's. It's absolutely disgusting.

14. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Actually, I'm not where you live, but if you're in the US, it's actually quite hard to know what you're buying due to lax writing/enforcement of the law (check out the free range wiki article). In the EU/UK, it's much easier.

----------

I actually find McDs to be quite expensive. One can make a reasonable veggie soup for a few € and eat a few days. With some read meat from a proper butcher, it only comes to 2-3€/meal for 3-5 meals.

15. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Buying food at the grocery store and cooking your own stuff comes out cheaper than the dollar menu. :rolleyes:

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

There are things on the dollar menu in the USA that are fairly cheap for prepared food.

Though I eat mostly home cooked meals (thanks to my wife, and myself when I feel like grilling). Which is usually almost always much cheaper to eat and cook at home. Often healthier and taste better as well.

----------

Oh I agree 100%, but McDonalds profits always go up as the economy goes down. People cook less and less at home, and instead of going to a decent restaurant to each people go to McD's.

17. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I never find processed food cheaper, to be honest. In absolute terms, perhaps, but in price/kg or lb, it's not even close.

You can easily buy 5€ of minced meat, 2€ of bread (slice the loaf yourself), 4€ of veggies and 3€ of cheese and make at least a dozen "hamburgers."

I guess the question is do you want a dozen hamburgers at once?

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I just look at what they attempt to call food and know that it does not belong in my body. It's repulsive. I don't get why anyone would choose to eat there.

19. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I didn't say it's cheaper, it's cheaper than a decent restaurant, with better food.

20. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I'd rather not trust free range. Makes more sense to stop the problem at the source.

21. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

Im not even going to watch the video. ive seen ones how veal is made and many others. its kinda sad really. most people dont want to see or think about slaughter houses.

22. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

I actually find most restaurants to be lacking, especially anything franchised.

23. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

That's why we have this little concept known as "leftovers" and "freezers" to put them in.

----------

I doubt people in a rough economy are trading a supper at a decent restaurant with a supper at McDonald's. The experience just isn't the same thing.

Now, are they trading a subway meal with a McD's meal, maybe. Subway around here is about 10$ for a meal while you can have a meal at McD's for 6$.

24. acidfast7 macrumors 65816

acidfast7

Actually, I usually do that. Once a week, I'll cook something large (usually an Indian/Thai curry or a large lasagna) and I'll get 3-4 lunches out of it. After a month or two, I have a few lunches of different foods stored away, so I have a lot of variety in what I eat.

25. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

There are new stories all over about it.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/business/McDonalds-Profits-Rise-in-Bad-Economy.html