Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Given that it's only been available in the US since March I think it's a little premature to suggest it's one of the best.
So that's the criteria we're using, time in the market? Uh, okay.

/walks away thinking we should have used functionality as the main criteria
/sets alarm for next March to bring up subject again with hortod1
{waits patiently}:D

shiseiryu1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
what luzers!

nelson-bbpin.gif

Reactions: Boatboy24

ProjectManager101

Suspended
Jul 12, 2015
Everyone knew it was a failure from the start

Not everyone, there are many times when someone know how to sell a stupid idea to ignorant investors with money and this is what happen. Some sort of "Steve Ballmer" with an outdated experience until they realize they can not go any further and close.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I do have one request if we go the per store app route: can you all be a bit more creative with the naming? Even "Walmart Checkout" would be an improvement.

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2011
They are off to spend their resources and energy on the ever-popular watchband innovation.

Clearly, the future is watchbands, not this pay-with-your-phone fad.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I think Alibaba experiencing security problems with its QR-based mobile payment system when it was tried in China and the fact CurrentC was too awkward to use explains why it appears this whole project is officially headed for the scrapyard--thank goodness!

As such, companies like Verifone can finally start rolling out Point of Sale (POS) terminals that support not only the "chipped" debit and credit cards, but also both Apple Pay and Android Pay through NFC.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
As such, companies like Verifone can finally start rolling out Point of Sale (POS) terminals that support not only the "chipped" debit and credit cards, but also both Apple Pay and Android Pay through NFC.

Except they have for quite a while. Blame retailers for keeping that part disabled.

ZCT

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Who would have thunk it? A convoluted system that was using backwards technology from the get go, that offered no real benefit to the consumer, and it didn't fly? Shocking.

What we have here was a collection of rich jerks coming together to discuss a system that only benefited them and not the consumer, and of course they didn't really understand technology or the market. The result was a worthless system that had almost no chance of taking off.

I'm glad it failed.

We are already behind many other countries by a decade or so with our ridiculously slow pick up of chip and PIN technology and contactless pay. And these jokers wanted to mess around with double scanned QR codes? Idiots. They might just as well have had it automatically fax a confirmation sheet when you used it to pay for something.

WhatUp?

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2016
And, on that bombshell..

Anyone knows how much was sunk into this venture so far?

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
John Gruber did a wonderful translation of the corporate doublespeak into plain English:
http://daringfireball.net/2016/05/translation_mcx

An excerpt:

Utilizing unique feedback from the marketplace and our Columbus pilot, MCX has made a decision to concentrate more heavily in the immediate term on other aspects of our business including working with financial institutions, like our partnership with Chase, to enable and scale mobile payment solutions.

CurrentC is a complete and utter failure.​
As part of this transition, MCX will postpone a nationwide rollout of its CurrentC application.

CurrentC’s nationwide rollout is never going to happen.​

That's beautiful lol. It reminds me of when Presidential candidates started using the term "suspending" when referring to quitting their campaigns.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
In order for any mobile payment system to have ANY success at all, it has to be dead simple. Like one step, done. If I have to scan something, it's a fail. If I have to open an app, it's a fail.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

neohavix

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
Good riddance... Now hopefully walmart pay will fail and these retailers will move to apple pay and the other NFC payment options like they should have done in the first place.
I just don't see walmart succumbing to this. It is an obstinate corporation. They will hold on to their power till their last dying breath.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
You are mad at the wrong people. If Apple pay was better, you would be able to say "I want to pay by credit card" and then just tap your iPhone on the reader.

It is Apple that wants to make their own unique brand name (Apple pay) for everything.

You have a serious and complete misunderstanding of what Apple Pay is. In fact, everything you just said is wrong. Apple Pay can work at any NFC terminal, you're using your own credit card. Apple is acting as a payment processor, that's it. It's called Apple Pay because Apple takes responsibility for fraud and insurance for the banks. That's why it's a step beyond typical NFC payments, and that's why their competitors are copying it.

In fact, the method you just described has no tokenization of the card either, inviting more of what you saw at Target last year. It amazes me that you thought you could even comment on this with any sort of authority.

dstud208

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2013
You are mad at the wrong people. If Apple pay was better, you would be able to say "I want to pay by credit card" and then just tap your iPhone on the reader.

It is Apple that wants to make their own unique brand name (Apple pay) for everything.

I'm in Canada and this is exactly how I pay for everything now. I just say "Visa" and if their terminal has a little wireless symbol I scan my watch, if it doesn't then I pull out my actual card. Though I haven't pulled out my card in about 2 weeks now, I hang onto it "just in case". Im hoping in a year or so I'll be able to leave it at home.

Point is, Apple Pay never comes up, and the cashier doesn't care. "Visa" *Tap* done.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I'm in Canada and this is exactly how I pay for everything now. I just say "Visa" and if their terminal has a little wireless symbol I scan my watch, if it doesn't then I pull out my actual card. Though I haven't pulled out my card in about 2 weeks now, I hang onto it "just in case". Im hoping in a year or so I'll be able to leave it at home.

Point is, Apple Pay never comes up, and the cashier doesn't care. "Visa" *Tap* done.

Exactly. Before Apple Pay "rolled out" in that first month, I was already using it at vending machines in the US. To an NFC terminal, Apple Pay is just a credit card. It's what is going on behind the scenes that makes it what it is, and why it is so much better.

amro

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2008
I'm pro ApplePay ( use it on my iPhone and Apple Watch) and I use Android Pay on my Nexus. I love the convenience and simplicity. Opening a separate app and scanning the QR code seemed like a pain, I and I still don't like the Walmart plan. However, I have no issue using the Starbucks app to pay for my coffee. Maybe it's the loyalty points I get at Starbucks that makes me go through the extra steps but I fee somewhat like a hypocrite for hating the QR code method of payment.

You can do one better by ordering with the app, even if you're in the store. You bypass the line and never have to scan a QR code. For this, I forgive Starbucks.

btkadams

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2012

As others have said, this is exactly how it works in Canada. I say I'll pay on visa (which is what I said with my card anyway) and then I tap my watch on the terminal. Every credit card terminal with tap (which is 99% of businesses) works with Apple Pay. The inelegance of Apple Pay described in this thread is purely a result of US retailers blocking it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.