MDD heatsink differences

Project Alice

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
I did a quick search on here and I didn't find any documentation on this. I found there are three different kinds of heatsinks for these. Two are silver in color (aluminum?) and one is copper. I have a FW800, that was originally a dual 1.25. It has one of the silver ones. I installed a DP 1.42 card in it, but used the same heatsink. Should I find a copper one and install it? If anyone has documentation on the differences between all three that would be great.

DeltaMac

macrumors G4
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The copper came only on the 1.42 FW800
The two heatsinks would be interchangeable on the FW800
I suppose with the 1.42, the copper heatsink would be desireable, as that is what Apple used when that 1.42 was installed.
I don't have a good opinion on if you "should" find a copper one. Being copper, the cooling characteristics would be different than the aluminum. All things being equal, the copper would have better cooling, compared to the aluminum.
But, you would want to also pay attention to the quality of the heatsink compound on an over 15-year old processor. Look for a "real" copper one, if you can find one.
Apple's original part number for the copper model that came on that "best" configuration is 076-0983 (from Apple's service manual)
I quickly found several companies that offer that heat sink - https://www.macpalace.com/076-0983-heatsink-kit-with-spring.html
So, maybe won't be too hard to find. (Did see one for about $200 US, so you would like to check several different sources for that, too :D )

Reactions: AphoticD

Project Alice

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
The copper came only on the 1.42 FW800
The two heatsinks would be interchangeable on the FW800
I suppose with the 1.42, the copper heatsink would be desireable, as that is what Apple used when that 1.42 was installed.
I don't have a good opinion on if you "should" find a copper one. Being copper, the cooling characteristics would be different than the aluminum. All things being equal, the copper would have better cooling, compared to the aluminum.
But, you would want to also pay attention to the quality of the heatsink compound on an over 15-year old processor. Look for a "real" copper one, if you can find one.
Apple's original part number for the copper model that came on that "best" configuration is 076-0983 (from Apple's service manual)
I quickly found several companies that offer that heat sink - https://www.macpalace.com/076-0983-heatsink-kit-with-spring.html
So, maybe won't be too hard to find. (Did see one for about $200 US, so you would like to check several different sources for that, too :D )
That one in your link is a decent price. Maybe someone with a real 1.42 can chime in on what their temps are? I haven't actually got temps out of mine, but I'll look at it. It seems to run good and the fan hasn't ramped up. I'm probably fine with the heatsink it has. Plus I put good thermal paste on the processors when I installed them.

philgxxd

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2017
Malaga, Spain
I got the copper one in my dual 1.25Ghz trash find and I once bought a copper heatsink which got gutted out from the seller for me from an unknown specced G4 of which I only could spot the copper heatsink on one of the photos and I asked if he could throw in the processor card as I believed it would be the dual 1.42Ghz. To my surprise I was also a dual 1.25Ghz so i guess it depends maybe when the model was made and apple throw what they had in stock (copper) onto the 1.25Ghz cards as well.

RhianB

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2016
505 USA
My dual 867mhz & single 1.25ghz came with aluminum heatsinks. Wish I could find a cheap copper one as I like how they look but haven’t noticed any overheating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.